AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to determine whether I should attempt to install an antenna myself or have someone come and do it. It appears that it is going to cost a lot more than I anticipated. First guy I called wanted $275. I am comfortable with the logistics of getting it in place and running the coax as appropriate. What I am unsure of is how hard it is to aim and how complex my installation will be. From antennaweb, my stations are as follows, which orientation, distance, and frequency listed:

WISH-DT CBS 342° 8.1 9

WFYI-DT PBS 345° 8.6 21

WNDY-DT UPN 27° 27.8 32

WXIN-DT FOX 343° 8.0 45

WRTV-DT ABC 345° 8.6 25

WTBU-DT PBS 343° 8.0 44

WTHR-DT NBC 354° 10.4 46

WIPX-DT PAX 183° 26.0 27

WHMB-DT IND 32° 18.4 16

WTTV-DT WB 183° 25.8 53

WCLJ-DT TBN 183° 26.1 56

I can live without channels 27, 53, 56. What kind of spread can I expect from a directional antenna? Will I need more than one antenna for the stations at 342° to 32°? Am I better off getting someone to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's my thought ---

At your distance, most of the major channels will come in using a Radio Shack 15-2160 $22 UHF Yagi antenna --- even from the attic. If you can live without some the independent channels, then one antenna without rotator, etc. will do. In order to aim, your best bet is to have someone watching the tv as your move the antenna around and let them tell you if they get the signal and at what strength (assuming a signal meter is available on your receiver). Once you get a good signal, tighten the mast and antenna up and you're done!

If it doesn't work - just return the antenna to Radio Shack and then consider paying for someone to do it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
do it right. do it yourself. i installed mine a few months ago after researching on this forum & other sites. it was my first antenna installation. didn't have many problems at all. i took a 13" tv onto my roof & used it to aim the antenna. check out the following link for a lot of good tips:

http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmig.htm

if you get a multidirectional antenna, you'll probably be able to get the stations you want w/o having to aim the antenna too much. good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.