AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum I hope to help and be helped :)
Recently, my optoma HD151X died, the second light bulb (not original unfortunately) literally exploded inside the projector :eek:馃槬馃槬

Looking at a lot of reviews, I bought the LG HU70LS (LA in US), everybody was saying how great this projector was and indeed the image was sharp and everything, but the dark scenes were so dark, I couldn't even see what was going on, I understand "weak black levels" but that was insanely black. I tried to move it closer to the screen (white screen) but nothing changed. Plus I discovered the "pure motion" wasn't really working frames were skipping left and right, and the jaddering was terrible, unwatchable. So I took it immediately back.

Now I would like to go back to Optoma, it maybe exploded but it worked perfectly for 5 years, with nice 33ms input lag and great britghness during dark scenes.

So, I wanted to buy an optoma again, but it seems Optoma is making 15 projectors in the same price range. Something with "pure motion", something "without it", something with 3500 lumes, something with 2200 lumens etc....

The HD151X had 2800 Lumens, so I guess I was used to "brighter projector", I don't think it had "pure motion" but I never saw it to jadder, unless it was some anime (like one piece).
Unfortunately, there's no trace of in-depth review of this projector, to make a proper comparison with new ones....

My budget is around 1500$.
I guess around my price range, seeing the price here in Switzerland I could go for one of those (in order of "novelty according to Optoma website":

• 1 UHD30 3400 Lumens (no pure motion) great input lag
  • 2 UHD42 3400 Lumens (no pure motion) great input lag
  • 3 UHD52ALV 3500 Lumens (pure motion) 66ms input lag
  • 4 UHD380x 3500 Lumens (pure motion) 66ms input lag
  • 6 UHD350X 2200 Lumens (pure motion) 66ms input lag
  • 7 UHD51 2400 Lumens (pure motion) >66ms input lag (some say the audio even is un sync compare to the video)
  • 8 UHD65 2200 Lumesn (pure moztion) >66ms input lag most expensive

1 and 2 are gaming projectors, people review them as great, but no pure motion ? Jadder frame skip? no thanks
3 and 4 look virtually identical except for Wi-Fi and alexa (who cares?), people say they are too bright and blacks level are bad, can I see anything in dark scene ? I prefer to see grey but bright than black but so hypercontrasted I can't see what is going on (LG HU70LA).
6 and 7 I don't understand why making projectors with such high input lag.
8 is very old, again people were super fans but I don't know, 2200 is less brighter than my old projector..

I am lost, everything look the same and different at the same time.
I am tired to check every single review, in the end they don't compare anything with my old one, so they don't mean anything.
LG HU70La was supposed to be great according to everybody, but it was horrible for my setting.

Please help :)

Thanks a lot.

Riccardo

Registered
I'm not sure if Epson is available where you are. But that would be my first choice as an upgrade/replacement. May have more latency than you want, but honestly that is the trade off. The projectors with better contrast and black levels dont necessarily have the best latency.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if Epson is available where you are. But that would be my first choice as an upgrade/replacement. May have more latency than you want, but honestly that is the trade off. The projectors with better contrast and black levels dont necessarily have the best latency.
Hi Nathan, thanks a lot for your reply.
Yes sure Epson is available here, which model do you have in mind ? I have a wall mount that only allows 10kg max, I've seen some 11kg bulky Epson mach矛nes, which are not suitable for my mount.

Registered
Hello everyone,

Recently, my optoma HD151X died, the second light bulb (not original unfortunately) literally exploded inside the projector :eek:馃槬馃槬

Looking at a lot of reviews, I bought the LG HU70LS (LA in US), everybody was saying how great this projector was and indeed the image was sharp and everything, but the dark scenes were so dark, I couldn't even see what was going on, I understand "weak black levels" but that was insanely black. I tried to move it closer to the screen (white screen) but nothing changed. Plus I discovered the "pure motion" wasn't really working frames were skipping left and right, and the jaddering was terrible, unwatchable. So I took it immediately back.

Now I would like to go back to Optoma, it maybe exploded but it worked perfectly for 5 years, with nice 33ms input lag and great britghness during dark scenes.

So, I wanted to buy an optoma again, but it seems Optoma is making 15 projectors in the same price range. Something with "pure motion", something "without it", something with 3500 lumes, something with 2200 lumens etc....

The HD151X had 2800 Lumens, so I guess I was used to "brighter projector", I don't think it had "pure motion" but I never saw it to jadder, unless it was some anime (like one piece).
Unfortunately, there's no trace of in-depth review of this projector, to make a proper comparison with new ones....

I guess around my price range, seeing the price here in Switzerland I could go for one of those (in order of "novelty according to Optoma website":

• 7 UHD51 2400 Lumens (pure motion) >66ms input lag (some say the audio even is un sync compare to the video)

1 and 2 are gaming projectors, people review them as great, but no pure motion ? Jadder frame skip? no thanks
3 and 4 look virtually identical except for Wi-Fi and alexa (who cares?), people say they are too bright and blacks level are bad, can I see anything in dark scene ? I prefer to see grey but bright than black but so hypercontrasted I can't see what is going on (LG HU70LA).
8 is very old, again people were super fans but I don't know, 2200 is less brighter than my old projector..

I am tired to check every single review, in the end they don't compare anything with my old one, so they don't mean anything.
LG HU70La was supposed to be great according to everybody, but it was horrible for my setting.

Thanks a lot.

Riccardo
The UHD40 has ~45ms 4K (I think you have to turn off dynamic black for best lag) input lag and can do 120hz at 1080P as well. IIRC, it's very similar to the UHD50 which I have and enjoy on a 145in grey screen.

Look at the TK800M and TK810 as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The UHD40 has ~45ms 4K (I think you have to turn off dynamic black for best lag) input lag and can do 120hz at 1080P as well. IIRC, it's very similar to the UHD50 which I have and enjoy on a 145in grey screen.

Look at the TK800M and TK810 as well.
Thanks a lot DunMunro, optoma said UHD40 has been discontinued, do you know which one, among those in the list, is the updated version ? UHD42 (UHD50X in US?)
Thanks

Registered
Thanks a lot DunMunro, optoma said UHD40 has been discontinued, do you know which one, among those in the list, is the updated version ? UHD42 (UHD50X in US?)
Thanks
I think the UHD300x is similar but you might find the UHD40 in stock somewhere. Also the BenQ W1720 would be similar.

Registered
Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot.

Riccardo
What do you mean by great brightness during dark scenes? You mean great blacks?

All projectors listed above except for LG have ~1200 lumens with a new lamp, or regular presets. The LG for all intents sits at around the same.

The issue with detail in black scenes is not because of of the projector, it's due to incorrect settings. The difference between a projector with good blacks and bad blacks is that the black level is deeper. Think OLED vs. IPS.

Same thing with skipped frames, configuration issue.

Puremotion is Optoma's name for frame interpolation.

What is the seating distance?

Room dimensions?

Screen size and fabric?
Are you happy with it?

Color of walls?

Ambient light?

Uses? Games, movies, TV? What percentage?

Registered
Are you sure your Optoma HD151 is dead. Exploding lamps is a fairly common lamp failure and is by no means certain death to the projector. It is true shards of glass can jam up fans and cause issues but it can be cleaned out and rarely cause permanent damage. If you were happy with what you had just keep it but of course if you wanted an upgrade that's another story. It does sound like from your description your experience with the LG may have been a setup issue.

Reactions: ng4ever

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
What do you mean by great brightness during dark scenes? You mean great blacks?

All projectors listed above except for LG have ~1200 lumens with a new lamp, or regular presets. The LG for all intents sits at around the same.

The issue with detail in black scenes is not because of of the projector, it's due to incorrect settings. The difference between a projector with good blacks and bad blacks is that the black level is deeper. Think OLED vs. IPS.

Same thing with skipped frames, configuration issue.

Puremotion is Optoma's name for frame interpolation.

What is the seating distance?

Room dimensions?

Screen size and fabric?
Are you happy with it?

Color of walls?

Ambient light?

Uses? Games, movies, TV? What percentage?

Diastance: 3m40 from the screen
Screen fabric: i wouldnt know, white motorized with small pixel square made of kinda reflective material.

Screen wall: black
Other wall: 1 Orange, 1 green, 1 black again.

Movie/Tv show 75%.

For dark scene with the LG HU70LS, I meant:
Bourne identity action dark scene and goliath (dark room with red curtains and the loyer with burnt face), impossible to see anything.

I tried all the presets: cinema, bright rtc, tried increase manually brightness, nothing worked.
I tried to activate frame interpolation all three mode and deactivate, judder or motion sickness.

I have an OLED CX for gaming/PC brand new, that, it has nothing to do with that projector.

Yes, wanted to upgrade..

That's all, I think

It was horrible

Registered
Diastance: 3m40 from the screen
Screen fabric: i wouldnt know, white motorized with small pixel square made of kinda reflective material.

Screen wall: black
Other wall: 1 Orange, 1 green, 1 black again.

Movie/Tv show 75%.

For dark scene with the LG HU70LS, I meant:
Bourne identity action dark scene and goliath (dark room with red curtains and the loyer with burnt face), impossible to see anything.

I tried all the presets: cinema, bright rtc, tried increase manually brightness, nothing worked.
I tried to activate frame interpolation all three mode and deactivate, judder or motion sickness.

I have an OLED CX for gaming/PC brand new, that, it has nothing to do with that projector.

Yes, wanted to upgrade..

That's all, I think

It was horrible
What aspect are you trying to upgrade? To 4K?

So what is the screen diagonal?

Seating distance?

Projector to screen distance?

Room dimensions?

Registered
I suspect you most likely should avoid all the XPR 4 K DLP's period if you hated the LG that much as they all have horrendous native contrast. The BenQ 3550 or the Optoma UHD65 do a fairly good job with what they have to work with. Epson 3800 maybe if it will fit your throw. Is it impossible to replace your mount for a heavier projector or are just not willing to?

Reactions: Calibratedlumens

Registered
Salve,
suggerirei di prendere un semplice XGIMI H2, DLP 1350 ANSI lumen, 猫 oramai un anno che lo uso con Tv e Firetv stick amazon 4K, le immagini sono ottime, proietto su un telo da 120 pollici (Excelvan 1.2) visione da circa 2,7 metri con schema impostato a 98 pollici. Per la tivu uso un ricevitore SAT e DDT Zgemma H7c impostato in uscita video a 2160p, le immagini sono fantastiche, mentre con Amazon Firetv stick 4K ho settato uscita Auto fino a 4K e quando vedo un video di Prime a 4K compare a video in alto a sinistra la scritta 2160p 24Hz.
Ciao,

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect you most likely should avoid all the XPR 4 K DLP's period if you hated the LG that much as they all have horrendous native contrast. The BenQ 3550 or the Optoma UHD65 do a fairly good job with what they have to work with. Epson 3800 maybe if it will fit your throw. Is it impossible to replace your mount for a heavier projector or are just not willing to?
I guess I could change the wall mount, it was just a bit expensive, but since Epson can shift the lens horizontal and vertical should not be a big deal.

I'm sitting right underneath the projector.
At 3m40 from the screen, there's also the head of my bed.
It's a bed cinema :)

Registered
What is the screen diagonal?

151x throw ratio is 1.37:1 - 2.05:1.

Epson TW7100 (HC3800) would be the best fit. Use this calculator:

It's 6.9kg.
151x is 4.5kg.

Rating may say 10kg on the mount, but it depends on the brand. Can you take a picture of it, or what brand is it?
Mounts are not that expensive. Better then it falling.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
What is the screen diagonal?

151x throw ratio is 1.37:1 - 2.05:1.

Epson TW7100 (HC3800) would be the best fit. Use this calculator:

It's 6.9kg.
151x is 4.5kg.

Rating may say 10kg on the mount, but it depends on the brand. Can you take a picture of it, or what brand is it?
Mounts are not that expensive. Better then it falling.
Screen diagonal is 100", but I could also get a new one it bigger
Wall mount can take up to 10kg load, so 6.9kg it's not an issue.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Hello, support from optoma suggest to buy The laser projector ZH406, any idea ?

Registered
That's 1080p and originally a classroom projector.

The TW7100 and W2700 would be the best options.

If you want a cheaper option get the Optoma UHD300x, UHD40, UHD350x, Viewsonic PX7274K, Vivitek HK2288.

Registered
If you were happy with the HD151X, you probably be happy with the ZH406, which is somewhat brighter. Being a laser, there's no more worry about exploding bulbs.

What is your video source? Your description of issues with the LG HU70LA suggest that it was a problem with HDR content, which can often seem too dark depending on the video source. This was an issue with my Sony X-700 4K BD player (UHD50 HDR Dynamic Range = Bright was tolerable but sometimes led to clipping) which is corrected in the Panasonic UB420 via it's HDR optimizer, which allows adjusting the brightness of the HDR signal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts