AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help in deciding which one to get. Lets just say money is not a deciding factor. Here is what I will be using the TV for. bedroom, viewing distance is roughly 10 feet. I have Directv, and will be using the set mainly for DVD, Mostly SD, and some High Def. The XS955 has the built in tuner, but do i really need that seeing i have directv? Also, is spending another $300 worth it for that set, seeing i will be viewing 10 feet away. My gut feeling says go with the 32", same price as the 30, and i assume that is because it is not a widescreen. Anyone..Anyone..

Also, i will be purchasing a set through best Buy, and I looked at the samsung slimfit, but people are not too gung ho on that set, and the Sonys seem to be everyone favs. thanks....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I debated between the KV30 and the KV32; bought the KV30. I watch a decent amount of HD programming and my view distance is ~7 feet, however. I spent about half an hour looking at both and felt the KV30 was a better set for me. I'm sure others have personal experience as well they can share with you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Mitsu 65" in the family room, and really like the widescreen, and got hooked on it. Seeing I am in the bedroom, that extra 2 inches may help out a lot, however, i would lose the widescreen. I saw they have a 34" WS, but that is entirely too much money for me to spend. thanks

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
you might consider using the antenna as DirecTV does not broadcast HDTV at its full resolution

but I guess this would only be important if you can see the difference

I have a KD30XS955 is my bedroom but I do not sit 10 ft away

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just bought the 30XS955 today, Couldn't be happier. No HD hooked up yet, but the picture is tremendous. I got if for $800 from Sears Outlet, open box. Had a couple scratches on the side.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronorkis
Need help in deciding which one to get. Lets just say money is not a deciding factor. Here is what I will be using the TV for. bedroom, viewing distance is roughly 10 feet. I have Directv, and will be using the set mainly for DVD, Mostly SD, and some High Def. The XS955 has the built in tuner, but do i really need that seeing i have directv? Also, is spending another $300 worth it for that set, seeing i will be viewing 10 feet away. My gut feeling says go with the 32", same price as the 30, and i assume that is because it is not a widescreen. Anyone..Anyone..
Since you're 10 feet away and watch mostly SD then the 32" is probably the best choice. When you do watch HD or DVD the letterboxed area will be about the same as a 29" so you're only losing an inch with HD & DVD, while getting a LOT more screen area when watching SD.

If you get the 30" widescreen, you'll have to watch all your SD in stretch mode but you're only gaining one inch of screen size.

I think the 32 inch 4:3 set is the best compromise for your particular situation (if you're dead set on getting a tube TV that is). Personally at 10 feet i'd get a 42" TV of some sort.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Is your Mitsu 65" HD? Have you watched any HD programming on it? The more you see good HD (on a good HDTV) the more you're likely you'll prefer watching it. I'm watching less and less of my satellite programming. DirecTV is moving towards more HD programming.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, i watch a decent amount of HD on the Mitsu, it looks awesome. However, when is DirecTV going to be offering more HD channels? I really want CBS, ABC and FOX, and the only way i can get them in HD is through my cable company. I tried the rabbit ears, but where I am located, i cant pick up anything. I am surrounded by trees.

·
Registered
520 Posts
At 10 feet away you should definitely go as large as possible. I have a 30, 34 and 51 inch HDTV. I sit about 4 feet away from my 30inch for xbox gaming, about 6 feet from my 34 inch and about 8 feet from my 51 inch. At 10 feet I would consider something bigger than a 34 inch or at least sit closer to the tv.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I own the KV30HS420, I bought it mainly because it is widescreen. If you are a movie lover, Widescreen is the way to go but if you watch regular TV most of the time, get the 32".

Note that little by little most of the TV shows will be in 16/9 format. The next gen gaming console (PS3 and Xbox 360), the games will be develop in 16/9 format aswell. You have to be prepared for the future ;)

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77
Note that little by little most of the TV shows will be in 16/9 format.
Actually this is not true. The vast majority of programming will be 4:3 for at least ten years and maybe even twenty. More will be in HD, but it will not be in our lifetime.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
More will be in HD, but it will not be in our lifetime.
do you really believe that or just really old? LOL

cause I think it may take 10 minimum or 20 years

but I think there will no longer be SD, before I die!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.