AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a 75 inch HDTV to replace my 7 year old 47" Sony HDTV.

It was easy to narrow down my list of this size screen since there are not too many 75" HDTV out there. Mostly 60 or 70 inches.

I have narrowed down my list to two model:

1. Samsung UN75F8000 75-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model) (~$2,300)

2. Samsung UN75HU8550 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (~2,500)

The distance from where I watch to where the TV is, is around 15' and as such there might not be an advantage with the 4k resolution but since the price of the 2 TVs are close, I am not sure which one to go with. I know that Samsung UN75F8000 is highly praised due to having hardware embedded enhancement capability where as the other models are software based.

Please let me know what do you think what what option do you recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a 75 inch HDTV to replace my 7 year old 47" Sony HDTV.

It was easy to narrow down my list of this size screen since there are not too many 75" HDTV out there. Mostly 60 or 70 inches.

I have narrowed down my list to two model:

1. Samsung UN75F8000 75-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model) (~$2,300)

2. Samsung UN75HU8550 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (~2,500)

The distance from where I watch to where the TV is, is around 15' and as such there might not be an advantage with the 4k resolution but since the price of the 2 TVs are close, I am not sure which one to go with. I know that Samsung UN75F8000 is highly praised due to having hardware embedded enhancement capability where as the other models are software based.

Please let me know what do you think what what option do you recommend?

Thanks
Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For the price difference, i would definitely go with the 4K model. I picked one up myself about a week ago and my only regret has been that I didnt get the 78"!
I sit around 12-13 feet away and yeah, you can definitely tell a difference at 4K. I have all my stuff running through an Onkyo TR 838 (Directv, roku, bd player and Gaming PC). Gaming-wise, 4k (PC) is awesome. It also does a good job upscaling most of my Directv material as well.
Plus why buy a 1080 panel today if you can get the 4K model?

The only thing I'd offer a warning on is that those prices seem too good to be true. I have friends who work in bestbuy and employee cost is around $4300 on the 75" 4K (BB employee cost is typically 5% over cost). I bought my 75" from East Coast TV and paid $4200 out the door. $2500 makes me wonder how they're making a profit as that seems so far below cost that I wonder where that TV came from.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
For the price difference, i would definitely go with the 4K model. I picked one up myself about a week ago and my only regret has been that I didnt get the 78"!
I sit around 12-13 feet away and yeah, you can definitely tell a difference at 4K. I have all my stuff running through an Onkyo TR 838 (Directv, roku, bd player and Gaming PC). Gaming-wise, 4k (PC) is awesome. It also does a good job upscaling most of my Directv material as well.
Plus why buy a 1080 panel today if you can get the 4K model?

The only thing I'd offer a warning on is that those prices seem too good to be true. I have friends who work in bestbuy and employee cost is around $4300 on the 75" 4K (BB employee cost is typically 5% over cost). I bought my 75" from East Coast TV and paid $4200 out the door. $2500 makes me wonder how they're making a profit as that seems so far below cost that I wonder where that TV came from.

Let us know how it goes.
The Website says the location is at 46 Cook Street Brooklyn NY 11206.. The Google Map sure does not look a store even exists..

·
Registered
281 Posts
As others have said, those prices seem VERY suspect.

An additional note, the 8550 series is known for claiming full 4:4:4 chroma support, but not actually delivering that claim at anything above 4k/30Hz. If you're comfortable with spending a few thousand dollars on a falsely-advertised product, kudos to you and good luck.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It shows two prices:
$4700 and $2749. The cheap price is for a "SAMSUNG ORIGINAL PANEL VERSION TS01----------------" which I've never heard of, and it's a "75hu8550XZCAN" which I've also never heard of, not a Candian number. Very suspicious. If you go for it, contact your credit card co. and ask about your buyer protection if it is a fraud also demand a photo of the ID tag on the outside of the box.

The higher price looks fully legit but be sure it's the TS01 panel, get that in writing cause many sellers are advertising the highly sought after TS01, but they sold out long ago and conveniently haven't gotten around to updating their web page to TS02.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If a foreign model (Canada), the difference is the software the hardware is the same. For example the software is set up for Canadian provinces etc.

A couple of things that could explain the price. The American Dollar has appreciated dramatically the last 6 months. The exchange rate is probably giving them a 20% discount these days if they import the TV's. Secondly, the model changeover is happen right now. These 2014 are being discounted even more than they were just a few weeks ago as the 2015's are arriving in warehouses and showroom floors.
Samsung could also be offering dealers incentive, discounts or other creative discounts to dealers without lowering the list price dealers can sell the TV's at.

Bottom line is if your a creative seller you can get these TV's a lot cheaper than just a few months ago. A lot of these sites have very little overhead, They build and maintain a site, hire a sales force and have the orders drop shipped to you. I doubt few of these companies carry inventory on big ticket items.

It's no wonder they can undercut the hell out of the brick and mortar stores.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep, like others have said, stay away from anything out of the burroughs. Scamming is in the blood there. With high electronics its hands on eyes on for me and even then I'm a bit skeptical. Too good to be tru, blah blah blah...

·
Registered
278 Posts
It shows two prices:
$4700 and $2749. The cheap price is for a "SAMSUNG ORIGINAL PANEL VERSION TS01----------------" which I've never heard of, and it's a "75hu8550XZCAN" which I've also never heard of, not a Candian number. Very suspicious. If you go for it, contact your credit card co. and ask about your buyer protection if it is a fraud also demand a photo of the ID tag on the outside of the box.

The higher price looks fully legit but be sure it's the TS01 panel, get that in writing cause many sellers are advertising the highly sought after TS01, but they sold out long ago and conveniently haven't gotten around to updating their web page to TS02.

I will say it again, 2749 is way below cost for that tv. Look at it like this, if they're making only 300-400 on the tv ( they still have some overheads to take care of), then they bought it for around 2300. That means the margin bestbuy and others are making is in the $2000+ range which is highly unlikely.
I'll bet you cash money that you will never get that tv at 2700. It will suddenly be out of stock if you insist on that model. Take it from someone who's played that game with a similar company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
how about a price of $2325 white glove delivery. If not a true Samsung panel - how bad will the picture be on a 75" 4k model How many vendors making a 75 inch panel and how would I tell which one the set has when it arrives. Just what can I get in a 75" 4k for about the same money
Samsung UN75HU8550 Series 4k

This price seem silly even for a last year model - any comments?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts