AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for about 30-35ft of in wall HDMI cable.

As I search on MP, I see that there are quite a few options out there.

My little understanding of HDMI is that if possible, stick to a lower gauge.

So for the 30-35ft I'm looking for, 22 or 24awg would be fine for me, right?

What's the difference between tin and silver plated HDMI cable?

The price pretty much doubles. Is the quality really that much better with the silver plated?

Tin Plated

Silver Plated

When I install my in wall HDMI, the two ends will connect to HDMI wall plates.

Since these are male to male cable, will I now need female to male HDMI to connect from wall to components? Hope that sense.

·
Registered
263 Posts
tin v silver..... this is all about the conductivity of the metals. Silver is a better conductor and therefore could give a better signal.

a thick HDMI cable in the wall is a little bit of a pain to install.... the hole in the header that you have to drill might be too big to pass code, if you are going through a stud or header.

also the cable doesnt bend well...... I have a 25' monprice, silver, HDMI cable for my projector and it works great....

the other option, and better for some situations, is to use a CATx to HDMI extender...

thicker is better.... signal strength is going to be an issue at 35', whether or not it is going to be an issue for you depends on the strength of the signal from the AVR, STB or DVD player the cable is connected to.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Will you need to replace this HDMI cable for passing 3D signals, in a year or 2? How easy will it be to replace? Will you be able to use that HDMI cable as a pull string, to pull the new cable (cut off the connector, attach the new one, pull it out)? If it can't be replaced easily, in a year or 2, you may want to consider pulling 2-3 ethernet cables now, along with the HDMI cable. An HDMI extender for HDMI 1.4 will likely be developed by the time you need it (if it hasn't been developed already).

Maybe you should look into using an HDMI 1.4 cable. I don't know much about it, but it should be a consideration, at this point.

Edit - I honestly don't know if 1.4 is needed for 3D. There is an AVS HDMI subforum you can read through, to get some answers. Maybe this recent press release from the HDMI consortium will be of use.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18162029

Will you need to replace this HDMI cable for passing 3D signals, in a year or 2? How easy will it be to replace? Will you be able to use that HDMI cable as a pull string, to pull the new cable (cut off the connector, attach the new one, pull it out)? If it can't be replaced easily, in a year or 2, you may want to consider pulling 2-3 ethernet cables now, along with the HDMI cable. An HDMI extender for HDMI 1.4 will likely be developed by the time you need it (if it hasn't been developed already).

Maybe you should look into using an HDMI 1.4 cable. I don't know much about it, but it should be a consideration, at this point.

Edit - I honestly don't know if 1.4 is needed for 3D. There is an AVS HDMI subforum you can read through, to get some answers. Maybe this recent press release from the HDMI consortium will be of use.

yeah for future proofing 4 CAT6 cables might be a good idea.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.