AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to upgrade from the X1 to 5700, but think I might have a problem with the vertical offset. The manual lists the offset as 3'3" at 10', which is about 3 times the X1. The X1 is table mounted (29" height) and I would like to do the same with the 5700. My screen is 45"x80" and 38.5" off the ground with 8'6" ceiling height.

I 'think' I will have to place the projector at a 15 degree angle (currently 3)to hit the screen and this seems like it will require a lot of keystone correction. Ceiling mounted would be sightly better, but still far from optimal...

Has anyone had this problem with the 5700? How badly is the keystone correction going to be on the image quality??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea the off-set is pretty bad. fortunately I mounted mine from the ceiling but with only 1/2 inch between the ceiling and the PJ. The tolerances were so close that I just used a wire self basket to hold the PJ. No room for a traditional mount.

I've had mine up and working for 2 weeks now, great PJ, my first.

best of luck

·
Registered
510 Posts
Offset is one of those weird things. The 5700 would fit my room as designed and in a perfect ,location. The 7200, on the other hand, reqires me to drop the thing down from the ceiling about 12 inches to avoid keystone. And its not at the back of the room like the 5700 would be. But I want the 7200. Decisions, decisions. Wish all these things had lens shift like the new Sharp DT300 will have.

If you're coming from an X1, you should be ok if you were in 16:9 mode all of the time. My room was deisgned for the X1 (which I just sold before the room is finished). with the PJ sitting on the floor, I measured 17 inches from the bottom of the picture to the middle of the lens at an 84" wide screen. this is about the same offset as the 5700 I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rlundy: why do you say 'you should be ok if you were in 16"9 mode all of the time'?

Unless I have misinterpreted the manual, the offset is almost 3 times that of the X1...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have my 5700 mounted even with the top of the screen, 18' back. To avoid keystone it should be mounted 12" above the screen. In this situation (with a 119" screen), There is about a 1-1.5" difference (.5-.75" on each side) in the width of the picture from the top to the bottom.

Originally I used keystone (I think 54 did it, with 50 being the middle), but I've since turned it off, and just let the extra width shine onto my black velvet masking. I didn't really notice any problems with the keystone, but I felt better with it off :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Innova, thanks. I recomputed the offset and I was completely wrong. I was computing it as a function of throw distance and not image height.

It is about 3 times more than the X1 in 4:3 mode, but about the same as the 16:9 mode. Right now I have my X1 tilted 2 degrees up (4:3 mode) and would end up having to tilt it down 2 degrees for the 5700. Now hopefully, I can get it ordered tomorrow it will be here in time for the weekend...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
On the other projector calculator on the InFocus website, they say:
Quote:
Whenever possible locate the projector in the middle of the calculated throw distance range.
Why?

·
Registered
868 Posts
The optics are probably best in the middle of the throw range with the lens they are using.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would also guess that if you locate at the extremes you could end up having a projector that is zoomed all the way in or out and not be able to focus it. Having it in the middle of the throw distance will give you a little breathing room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.