AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing help in sub placement. Its in the basement in a pretty large area. The back room is not usable for movie watching so I had to do where it's at right now. I was wondering if anybody has any insight or idea where I could put the subs. I have 4 12" that i would spread around the room. i already played with various positions and 1 and 2 sound the best with 3 and 4 right behind. 5 is ok but nothing special. Left, next to the couch is not bad either.It just doesn't have any impact at all, and I'm lost at what to do. The subs are sealed right now, but I am planning on going ported.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Place one sub @ each of the mid-points of the walls. If that drawing is accurate, the mid-point of the side walls should be about in line with the couch, not that it really matters.

I wouldn't use #2, that sub will get way too much boundry reinforcement.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/16936633

Place one sub @ each of the mid-points of the walls. If that drawing is accurate, the mid-point of the side walls should be about in line with the couch, not that it really matters.

I wouldn't use #2, that sub will get way too much boundry reinforcement.

You mean the 4 walls surrounding the couch (front, back and the side walls)?

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlm13 /forum/post/16936768

You mean the 4 walls surrounding the couch (front, back and the side walls)?

Yes, placing a sub at each wall smooths out the bass response throughout the entire seating area.

In my setup I have a sub at both side wall mid-points. Although my two main subs are at the main L/R with those towers mounted to the top of th subs. Which was the best locations for my room.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I popped one woofer in a ported downfiring box (designed for that same speaker) and put it behind the left speaker(5) and it sounded much better. So I'm assuming that sealed isn't going to work in that room as well as ported.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
All things being equal, a sealed sub is always better than a ported sub.

I've had both and I prefer sealed. I'm running 4 sealed subs in a 3100cuft room. and the bass extention and power is huge.

But the main things with using multiple subs is having them laid out sysmmetrically to the center seat and being identical models (at least identical pairs).

The 4 mid-points is a good place to start, but each room is different and some tweeking may be needed. Such as having a woofer at each side wall and the other two up front next to or behind the mains.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't say sealed is better, but I preferred sealed as well, but since I moved my stuff into this new room, they aren't like they used to. One ported upfront sounded my better than 2 sealed, in front and various locations in the room.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
You're getting the added output from the port, but all things equal, quality of driver, box construction, amplification, location, sealed gives a tighter bass response including transient response.

But the fact the sealed subs aren't giving you the same output as before suggests you haven't found the optimal locations for that room.

Like I've mentioned the mid-points in a rectanglar room is quite effective.

But there is the problem of the open area in the rear. So the thing to do is place one sub at the center seat location, run pink noise through the sub, while crawling around the room with a RS SPL meter. Wherever the meter gives the highest readings are the best places for the subs. You may still find the mid-points for at least two to give quite good results.

With that said, the corners will always read hot, but can produce boomy bass. So unless there is no other solution, I always keep them out of the corners.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I did the "crawl", more than once. And I found the few locations that worked ok. I don't like corners either so that wasn't even an option. But in every position I tried, the ported just had more output and went deeper.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I can see the ported being somewhat louder, but a sealed should go lower.

The SVS PB13 Ultra has 3 ports and on their web site they say to add the foam plugs to get even lower bass output.

I don't have those subs, I've got a pair of diy, using drivers that were designed for the Revel Ultima 15 sub. And with BASH amps those things rock below subsonic.

If I had that room, I first would try the mid-points @ the side walls and the other two up front, or all four at the mids and listen to how it sounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts