AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rock stable system untill I installed the new MyHD120 card into PCI slot 4 today. I boot the computer and got an error mssg saying that the Radeon desktop program can't load because the Radeon card is not enabled. im stuck in 800x600 4bit on my Pioneer 50" 503cmx Plasma screen with RGB d-sub input. I looked in the device manager and there is a red exclamtion mark over the primary Radeon device. Opening that up I read that the device has been disabled because there is no recources left for it. To uninstall another device to free up some PCI slots. There is no way that can be true. I have one PCI still free on this motherboard. I did just uninstall the AccessDTV card for a return. I add/removed programs for the ADTV software and removed it in the device manager before shutting down to install the new MyHD card. I took the MyHD card out anda rebooted. Radeon card worked fine. I choose another pci slot for the MyHD card. Same results, the Radeon card for disabled again.

I followed all basic technician troubleshooting steps. This is nuts.

Here is what I have for a system:

Perntium 2.8ghz

Gigibyte MB i875 chipset 5 pci slots

1gig 3200ram

Radeon9600pro

Revolution 7.1 soundcard

Hauppauge 350 tv tuner card

Wireless-G network card

C: drive seagate 133ata 120gig drive

D: 400gig ATA-serial RAID0 built in mb cntroller

E: DVD-RW drive

Could the MyHD be not compadible in the same system as Hauppuage 350?

Is this a known issue with a work around? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help. There is no tech support, Digital Conection is closed on the weekends.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Is ACPI on or off?

875 Mobo - is HT enabled?

Not familiar with Mobo - what is the slot sharing like? Mobo makers like to share slots with USB or on-board Network or sound, etc.

What does the IRQ situation look like?

Odd that the AccessDTV worked but not MyHD.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is horrible. Something is not compadiable with the MyHD120 card. The Radeon 9600 pro uses two PCI spots. Primary and secondary are both taking up a spot in the Device Manager under the Diplay adapters tree. Which is normal because this Radeon 9600pro on this other computer on does the same thing.

Maybe I need to send a 3 day respond to AccessDTV (thats what they take) asking them for all the Registery accurances to manually delete.

I havnt seen anything like this happen since the LEgacy devices days of the Win95 era. Like I said I did switch between PCI slot 4 to PCI slot 1 with no success. MyHD not compadiable with Hauppauge 350?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
stylinlp,

I'm support, and don't know what to tell you. There were some problems we experienced with 9600 cards and it' incompatiblity with PowerStrip, but none like you have described. As posted in another thread, MyHD will fill a spot under "Sound, video and game cotrollers', while the Radeon drivers will install under "Display Adapters". You neglected to list your OS.

P.S, If you suspect the Hauppauge is conflicting with the set-up, just try booting without it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kei thank you for responding so late at night. :)

I just installed PowerStrip after I gave up trying to install the MyHD120 card. Decided to work on the SageTV issues instead. WinXP Pro is installed.

I'm thinking that its either that the AccessDTV isnt really fully uninstalled (its crazy but possibly) or maybe I'm out of PCI resources in some way. Which is strange because I uninstalled AccessDTV card to put the MyHD in.

I'm thinking of doing an old technician trick by going into Device Manager and uninstalling everything. Reboot. Then let WinXP detect everything.

But, WinXP really is horrible about reinstalling things. It allways uses the same drivers and settings from previous installations. Only way to fix that is to remove all registery settings for that device. God why can't anything be simple. What a nightmare.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
I've read about some problems with the MYHD cards and the i875 chipset as well as with Intel processors which support hyperthreading.

Maybe that has something to do with your problem, or maybe it just has to do with something as simple as your bios/MB using preset PCI slot resourcing and Windows not being able to allocate any available IRQs? If your MB has fixed IRQ settings for PCI slots, you might try moving your MYHD card into another slot?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted this question at the MIT forum and someone responded with this

Re: I had the same hard time!

I had the same hard time trying to install mine too!

It was a little different in my case, because the MyHD itself was the one with the yellow exclamation in the device manager. The message was that the card couldn't be started, didn't say anything about resources.

I tried every single PCI slot I had ... no luck at all !

I thought the card was bad or something ...

Until I tried that:

* remove every card from the computer including the MyHD, but of course keep the video card;

* disable lpt and serial ports in the bios;

* if there are sound / lan / usb / firewire onboard disable them as well;

* disable hyper threading support (the capture software doesn't like it);

* turn on the computer, and let it load windows;

* shut the computer down;

* put the MyHD card (don't put/change/enable anything else);

* turn on the computer, and let it load windows again;

Right now you should have your video card and the MyHD working.

If so, put the other cards back and enable what you really need in the bios.

And everything should work ok!

I really hope so.

Fabiano

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Q. Does it work with HyperThreading systems?

A. MyHD has problems with Intel's i865 and i875 chipset motherboards which support HyperThreading. We are working on new drivers which is currently in beta-testing, although we do not currently have final release date for the next version.

So this may be the issue I'm having with the MyHD 120 card then. I have a Gigibyte 875i card with Pentium 2.8ghz that uses Hyper Threading. When I isntall this card it knocks out my Radeon 9600 primary graphics adapter in the Device Manager. But it does install and shows itself under the Sounds and Multimedia Tree. When I try to reenable the Radeon the error mssg tells me there is no more PCI resources available and to remove a device to free one up.

BTW> When I removed the AccessDTV card its no longer showing in the Device Manager.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stylinlp
Q. Does it work with HyperThreading systems?

A. MyHD has problems with Intel's i865 and i875 chipset motherboards which support HyperThreading. We are working on new drivers which is currently in beta-testing, although we do not currently have final release date for the next version.

So this may be the issue I'm having with the MyHD 120 card then. I have a Gigibyte 875i card with Pentium 2.8ghz that uses Hyper Threading. When I isntall this card it knocks out my Radeon 9600 primary graphics adapter in the Device Manager. But it does install and shows itself under the Sounds and Multimedia Tree. When I try to reenable the Radeon the error mssg tells me there is no more PCI resources available and to remove a device to free one up.

BTW> When I removed the AccessDTV card its no longer showing in the Device Manager.
I don't believe hyperthreading is the issue here. AccessDTV card used 2X the resources that MyHD needs. ADTV required 2 IRQs while MyHD needs only one IRQ. I think you OS is hosed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
auurgh. I am seething upset right now. I better not say anymore and sleep it off and post in the morning so I won't burn any bridges.

Tomarrow will be enough time to scream at some companies with a level head.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called Digital Connection this morning and they were able to give me some guess's what could be wrong. Unfortunately last nights guess didn't work. Re-installing the WinXP pro OS. After re-installing the only card I had in the system was Radeon9600pro and the MyHD tuner card.

Sure enough. MyHD was just sitting in that slot not installed and it still would not let the Radeon have any resources. The OS was never corrupted the first time. I remove the MyHD card physically and the Radeon with Catalyst 3.7 worked fine.

When I called into Digital Connection they found out that I has WinXP Pro installed in APIC mode. I have over 24 IRQ's available. This is a full featured new motherboard. Model GA-8KNXP Gigabyte 875i chipset.

DC told me that the MyHD card is not compatiable in that mode. They also said that there is an issue with the Radeon 9600 pro. Told me to re-isntall the OS again but this time choose PIC mode. (There was a list about 7 long of choices. One was normal PC mode. Not sure which to pick till I go look that list over agian) DC said they never seen that list of choices before that this is a feature you choose in BIOS. Im afraid of losing some functionality of the motherboard if I change this. Whats funny is that the AccessDTV worked fine in this system. I would have stuck with that card is it had a guide ;(

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quote:
DC told me that the MyHD card is not compatiable in that mode
I don't believe that is true. I'd imagine there are quite a number of people running MyHD cards under APIC. I am.

David

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
"I have over 24 IRQ's available." - My understanding is that these are "Virtual IRQs". and that there are no boards with more than 15 physical IRQs.

Perhaps what the DC person was saying is that in BIOS, you can sometimes assign an IRQ to a specific slot, which might get you around the resource hell.

I run all my HTPCs with APIC turned off. While APIC may work fine for office PCs, there are just too many timing issues when you are dealing with multimedia.

I don'e think you have to reinstall the OS to turn APIC off, you can just do it in hardware manager.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh well, I didnt feel like it or wasting another days work on it so I just installed the card into one of the satellite computers and it worked fine. This computer does not have APIC or multi-threading. Just an Aopen MB with 2.4ghz cpu.

Either way you look at it. The MyHD and Radeon cards are not compatiable with that motherboard. BTW, I tried to change resources in the Device Manager. Its all greyed out and will not let you with either device. I wasn't about to change the Auto settings in the BIOS for IRQ banks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Is ACPI on or off?
I know it's hard to do, but please, please, differentiate between ACPI (power management) and APIC (IRQ assignment). Yours truly read a message with transposed letters and spent a great deal of time and agony making a fool of himself.

PS: Also a little confused as to how the Radeon could be eating *2* PCI slots. Isn't it an AGP device?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes its APIC. Only way to set it is when you install an Operating System.

Yes. The Radeon 9600pro takes up two slots in the Device manager. I dont remember the IRQ's it takes. SOmthing like 16 and 18. Primary and Secondary. The Radeon 8500 only takes one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.