AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
belkin makes in wall speaker wire 16awg , it has a gray protective jacket inside there are two wires a black and a red. when striping the black or red wires there is a solid copper wire in a plastic shield surrounded by stranded copper wire. are the standed wires a ground or do get connected with the solid wire? has anyone installed this type of wire?

·
Registered
438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1818 /forum/post/12873688

belkin makes in wall speaker wire 16awg , it has a gray protective jacket inside there are two wires a black and a red. when striping the black or red wires there is a solid copper wire in a plastic shield surrounded by stranded copper wire. are the standed wires a ground or do get connected with the solid wire? has anyone installed this type of wire?

That doesn't sound like speaker wire, per se. The third wire you describe sounds like coax to me. If you already have a bunch of this, just cut the coax part so it doesn't get in the way (that is, don't use it at all). If you're thinking of buying this, I wouldn't, unless you're getting a great deal on it. Good 16 GA speaker wire shouldn't cost more than about 15 cents a foot. It sounds like what you have is some sort of specialty cable. It should work fine as speaker wire, but it wasn't designed for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am a little perplexed by this wire, it is speaker wire for sure but it is shielded.

The wire is Belkin PureAV High-Performance Speaker Wire it is described as 16 AWG Hybrid Conductor Technology PC0CC, CL3 Rated, Speaker Interconnect with Polyethylene Dielectric. Its code is AV53102 and can be found on their web site catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=178714

It effectivly has four wires, the two cores and two separate shields. The red and the black wires are in a gray shield. I took a photo see the attachment.

My current though is to strip back the shield and not to use it, but is that the correct thing to do?

Pete

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Anyways... It really does not matter what you do with the shield as it's kind of pointless.

I wonder why they would even make shielded speaker wires?

Oh, yeah read my sig line...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I paid £19 for 30M so its not bad value @ 63p ($1.261008) a meter, the reason I bought it was because I can plaster it into the wall and it says it will not perish. I didn't expect it to be shielded at all, I also wonder why they make shieled they dont even state it in the spec or advertise it when its for sale.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I would probably twist the stranded part together with the solid part for larger gauge.

Either way, this is a stupid design for speaker wire.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/15787334

I would probably twist the stranded part together with the solid part for larger gauge.

Either way, this is a stupid design for speaker wire.

This is one of those highs and lows over different wires products

Shame on Belkin for this--

99. 9997 OXYGEN-FREE, PCOCC CONDUCTORS; HYBRID-CONDUCTOR TECHNOLOGY OPTIMIZES PERFORMANCE AT ALL FREQUENCIES FOR CONSISTENT, EXACT SOUND REPRODUCTION; PRECISION-FORMULATED, POLYETHYLENE DIELECTRIC MATERIAL MAINTAINS STRONGER SIGNALS THAT YIELD SUPERIOR SONIC ACCURACY

Perhaps it is designed for those old Radio Shack piezoelectric super tweeters that go to 40kHz and beyond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts