Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just recently received my 24 inch dish and although I have yet to receive my DST3000 I have a few questions in regards to the cabling. Here goes:

The manual states that I need to run 4 separate cables from the dish to the channel master switch located inside the house.My problem is that my dish is on a garage which is a cable run of 100 feet. Any way to avoid running 4, 100 foot long cables? Also, is it possible to have the switch installed outside?

I noticed that others here have 2 regular dishes, one for each satellite. How do they get away with running 2 cables? Or do they have dual lnb's on each dish which makes up the 4 cables?

Thanks in advance,

windsorhabs

·
Registered
734 Posts
What brand is your dish? My Sony 24" dish had mounting posts on the upper rear of the dish for the multiswitch. Most, if not all, 24" dishes are made by ChannelMaster and include (I think) a ChannelMaster multiswitch, so your dish may have this capability as well.

If you mount the switch on the dish you will still have to run at last as many cables as receivers that you intend to install. If it's just one HD receiver, then you should definitely investigate finding a dish that will allow the multiswitch to be mounted on the dish. Although you might consider running additional cables to allow for further expansion. (A DirecTiVo is an excellent companion to a HD receiver!)

Another alternative is to mount the switch under the eaves or just inside of the garage out of the elements. If the cables that came with the dish are not long enough to do this, you can always buy a spool of RG6 cable and some F-type connectors. Just make sure that you buy weatherproof connectors as they have a rubber washer inside.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
807 Posts
The documentation is older and is in error. The multiswitch can be mounted on the back of the dish. My RCA dish even included 4 approximately 3' long cables and 4 weather boots explicitly for this purpose.

You need to run 1 cable into the house for each DirecTV reciever that you will be using. You may wish to pull an extra for future use as it won't take much longer and the only cost is 100' of cable ($10)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brand of dish is RCA and it did come with 4, 3 foot long cables as well as 4 rubber boots. I thought these cables were to be used to go to a grounding block. I will only have 1 receiver for a while anyway.

lunarist

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for your insight. I just checked my RCA dish and sure enough it has a spot on the back to mount the 4x4 switch. The only other problem is the boots cannot be used unless I cut the cable and re- attach the connectors. Why the heck did they do that? I mean, 4 good cables and now they need to be cut because the connectors are to large for the one end. Did you guys cut your cables?

Thanks,

lunarist

·
Registered
734 Posts
My 24" Sony dish did not come with weather boots, although an older 18" Sony dish did. I just pushed the end of the cable through the boot. It was tight, but it came through. My 24" dish hasn't been through a winter yet, but I'm not expecting much ice and snow, maybe just a little rain! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
399 Posts
When I wired my dish, I used this stuff called Stuf. It comes in a tube like toothpaste and contains Teflon. You fill the connectors with it before you thread them on the connections and it fills them and keeps water out.

I have seen so many people say that water is the #1 enemy that I used the O-ring F connectors with the Stuf and the last bag of F connectors I bought had gel in them to keep water from getting in the crimp.

Just call me paranoid about water...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lunarist:

... 4 good cables and now they need to be cut because the connectors are to large for the one end. Did you guys cut your cables?

Thanks,

lunarist[/b]
Nope, I slit the skinny end of the boot and then put the slit on the underside of the cable. Unless water is flowing uphill, it should be fine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Get the boot HOT

i.e. hot water

It should slip on

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tom. Now I can at least get a little of a head start while I wait for my receiver.

Thanks again to all,

windsorhabs

·
Registered
36 Posts
IF you can get them the best connector on the market is T&B Snap and Seal. I do alot of Media Retreval broadband distribution at schools, and these connectors are simple to terminate and very consistant.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all who have helped me. One more thing, I'm trying to dial in the azimuth, etc for the dish before I lug it up on the garage roof. I don't have my DST3000 as of yet. Would someone be willing to get the settings for me for tilt, azimuth, elevation, etc? My zip code is 48043

Thanks,

windsorhabs

·
Registered
734 Posts
No problem!

My Mits HD5 reports the settings for your zip code to be:

Azimuth 218 degrees

Elevation 35 degrees

Tilt 66 degrees

------------------

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.