AVS Forum banner

Help! Is my 5160 dead?

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  htevolution 
#1 ·
I hope it's not true, but I'm wondering if my trusty 5160 has finally kicked the bucket. It's a lifetime box that I just put a new 250GB drive in last year so I really hope it's not dead.

I noticed over the past few days that it wasn't recording full shows... just a few minutes of each scheduled recording. Then on Monday, I made a point to check things out during a time when a scheduled recording should have been in progress... no red light.

At that point, I flipped on the TV to check out the RTV Guide or the menu for some troubleshooting, but I got no video out from the RTV box. A soft reboot didn't change things. I unplugged it overnight, but still no video (no boot screen, no nothing) upon restart.

After powering back up, the blue power light isn't lit. But if I push the power button, it will come on. The green light on the ethernet port is lit, but I can't see the 5160 from my 5508.

I haven't had time to do any other troubleshooting, but wanted to see if someone here might know of a fix.

My plan for tonight is to try the various video outs on the box to see if somehow that's the issue (I'm using S-video but haven't tested anything else yet). I'll also look and see if the 5160 is actually connected to my LAN at all. Of course, neither of those explains the lack of recording or messed up recordings.

As always, I appreciate the help of everyone here. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
It isn't unusual for a replaytv to turn off after you boot it. I've seen them stay on after a boot, and turn off after a boot, either is common so I consider that normal.

Now for my timely general diagnostic spill..

If you already have the guide info disconnect the network cable, and do the same tests: recording, ect with it unplugged. There are network quirks that can make a replay behave erratically, freeze, halt, etc. If you learn your replaytv is fine you can focus on your network problems.

Try the above first, but that's probably not the problem. The most likely culperate is the harddrive, even more so in recent years because more and more HDs aren't compatible, and my working assumption is there are models out there that aren't fully compatible. It's best to stick with with a known working model (technically, many of those models that members report to appear working).

It's become harder and harder for me keep track of models #s that work, I don't even try anymore, but maybe you should post the model # you are using and someone can point out if it is compatible or incompatible.

If you have the original rtv drive, or an older drive laying around that is compatible the quickest path probably is imaging it and throwing it in.

#3 ·
I'm running a 250GB Seagate DB35 series drive as recommended on replaytvupgrade.com. It's well within its warranty period so I should be able to get a replacement. I've got a lot of content on that drive though.

Even if the drive is dead, shouldn't I get the splash screen at startup? I thought that came from the system memory, not the hard drive. As it is, I get nothing at startup.

#4 ·
There are two splash screens. If the first one doesn't come up it's typically a hardware problem. If the first one comes up but the second one doesn't it's typically a harddrive problem that leads to loading up corrupt software.

tell us, do you see any screen at all on bootup? Be sure you aren't using COMPONENT OUT. S-vid should work, but you could try composite to check for non-working svideo, or general fishyness.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow /forum/post/15486644

There are two splash screens. If the first one doesn't come up it's typically a hardware problem. If the first one comes up but the second one doesn't it's typically a harddrive problem that leads to loading up corrupt software.

tell us, do you see any screen at all on bootup? Be sure you aren't using COMPONENT OUT. S-vid should work, but you could try composite to check for non-working svideo, or general fishyness.

good caviate in that second paragraph, cow... the first screen wont show on "hard disk" errors if you're using S or Component video. Composite == win for showing any and all output screens. i know this because of my recent hd death.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohns /forum/post/15492742

good caviate in that second paragraph, cow... the first screen wont show on "hard disk" errors if you're using S or Component video. Composite == win for showing any and all output screens. i know this because of my recent hd death.

I thought you were using Component output when you couldn't see the first screen. As I explained, both the RF output and Component output cannot be activated until the Replay has successfully booted from the hard drive. However, there should be no problem using the S-Video output. The S-Video output is always active from the composite output. So, if you had a problem with the S-Video output, then I would suspect a problem with that output. It isn't changed or activated in any way by the bootup process...

Henry

#7 ·
A deeper round of troubleshooting hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Remember, the S-video wasn't working. So first, I tried switching to composite video while leaving all other connections the same (video and audio in, audio out, LAN). Still nothing. No video or audio.

Then I rebooted with only the composite video and LAN connections. No splash screen. Can't see the RTV on my LAN either (hard-wired connection).

I opened up the box and everything seems okay at power up. Hard drive seems to be spinning up normally... no unusual noises or anything. One correction to my earlier post: This RTV has a Western Digital WD2500JB, not a Seagate DB35 drive. Still, it's a drive that's shown to work well for others.

Any ideas where to go next or is this thing toast? Thanks again to everyone for your input.

#8 ·
Unplug the HD and see if you get the splash screens on the A/V outs. Check the power supply cables for tarnished/burned connectors.

#9 ·
Yes, here are instructions on check the power supply and the power supply cable. In addition, retightening all the screws that hold everything down. It is unusual not to be getting any output at all if proper power is present, so checking for proper power is probably the way to go...

Henry

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/15504375

Unplug the HD and see if you get the splash screens on the A/V outs. Check the power supply cables for tarnished/burned connectors.

If I unplug the IDE cable and power up with composite video, I get no splash screen, no nothing. The drive spins up normally though.

Same thing when I disconnect both the IDE and power cables to the HDD (except for the driving spinning, of course).

Inspecting the power supply cables, I don't see anything that looks unusual. Everything's shiny and new looking. I made sure all the connections were nice and tight and did the same for the hard drive connections.

Following hdonzis's instructions, I checked all the screws for the motherboard and power supply for tightness. Nothing was even remotely loose. I don't have a voltage tester so I can't really dig down to that level.

Unless you guys have another suggestion, I'm feeling like this box might just be bricked. As long as the drive is in good shape, I guess there's always rtv_extract, huh?

#11 ·
I see that you tried the composite output, but did you try both of them?

As far as the screws go, did you try loosening them and then retightening them? Just checking them isn't enough, you have to loosen and then retighten them...

It seems like at this point being able to check the voltages is about all that's left. You can check with Mikeyboy to see if he can help you any further...

Henry

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/15514687

I see that you tried the composite output, but did you try both of them?

As far as the screws go, did you try loosening them and then retightening them? Just checking them isn't enough, you have to loosen and then retighten them...

It seems like at this point being able to check the voltages is about all that's left. You can check with Mikeyboy to see if he can help you any further...

Henry

I tried both composite outputs and the S-video last night with no luck.

Tried loosening and retightening all the screws today, but no change...

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.