AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power went out for a few hours the other day. It's on a really expensive surge protecter/AVR. But now it won't show play or pause or the progress bar at the bottom of the screen. It says there's one minute left no matter how long is left in the show. And it won't resume. It just starts the show over if I stop. Please help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've seen this happen to my UTV about once every six months... simply unplug the unit, and plug her back in... Everytime I do this I fear the blinking green light syndrome but she always comes back to me :) I don't know what causes the status bars and symbols to go away but unplugging does the trick but honestly, power outages do cause some UTV's to die, so please do this at your own risk :(

Hope this helps,

riz

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Glad this got fixed up nice...

For future reference... For many ("unplug") events a UTV Code like 12357 can Reset/Reboot your UTV fast without the mess and potential hardware issues associated with pulling power cords...

Nothru22 can I assume by "really expensive surge protecter/AVR" can I assume it is NOT a UPS setup? Your UTV probably appeciates the AVR function, BUT might be better served by a simple/less expensive UPS with AVR so when power goes out it isn't affected by Blackouts.

Just my Opinion.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riz
I don't know what causes the status bars and symbols to go away
It's heat build-up. I had heard this, then proved it to myself one hot day when my status symbols disappeared. I felt the UTV and it was very hot, so I set a fan in front of it to blow past the top and bottom. With in a minute or two, everything returned to normal. Unplugging shuts the unit completely down, which then allows it to cool off.

Heat can also cause status symbols to stick or freeze or delay in revealing themselves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What is the "dreaded blinking green light syndrome?" (Didn't see it in the FAQ)

I lost the satellite signals from both my tuners and I'm hoping I'm not

completely UTCWAP! Letting it cool off...like an idiot I didn't have it

raised although it was in the open on top of the tv. What are the signs

of tuner failure? Thanks...

George

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Radicus
What is the "dreaded blinking green light syndrome?" (Didn't see it in the FAQ)

I lost the satellite signals from both my tuners and I'm hoping I'm not

completely UTCWAP! Letting it cool off...like an idiot I didn't have it

raised although it was in the open on top of the tv. What are the signs

of tuner failure? Thanks...

George
I don't think anyone really knows what the real cause of "blink light syndrome" is. That's why it's not listed in the FAQ. There isn't really a solution that works for everyone. For some people, unplugging was enough, others had to replace their hard drive, use a reset code or download a new copy of the OS.

As far as the signs of tuner failure, those can include:

- Pixilating video on live TV (this can also be caused by hard drive issues because the video is always buffered by the hard drive, so it's not always a guaranteed sign)

- Lots of "Tuners Changed" messages in the history menu. This can also me cabling, LNB or weather issues, but combined with other causes can mean trouble.

- Frequent "Searching for Satellite" messages.

- The guide doesn't update.

- The unit is stuffed in an AV cabinet with other components above or below (or both) with little air circulation - not really a sign of failure, but a way to beg for issues down the road.

The damage that results in tuner failure is often cumulative. This means if you haven't taken care of your UTV in the past, taking care of it now may not prevent future tuner failure. The damage may already have been done. However, anything you can do now to even delay failure will at least give you more time to use the unit.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
hi,

after letting your UTV cool down and then elevating it and powering back up I'd check your History log for tuner changes... If they are frequent (and not weather/cable related) either the heat caused or a hardware failure in the setup did.

Check your signal stength... Signals should be stable over a period of time... no wild swings.

Let us know what you find... You may want to make sure your cable runs, LNB, and multiswitch (if you have one) are all good. A bad connection in any of them may cause tuner problems.

·
Registered
58 Posts
for pointing out this thread for me. I started having this (losing the ON-SCREEN bars such as pause,FF,and Reverse GUI's) problem a week or 2 ago. My UTV is hot underneath the power supply but that is a normal thing. My UTV is raised about 3 Inches on 4 posts to allow for air to filter through. History does not show any Tuner changes... Signal strength has been consistent since original set up. I don't like doing hard reboots on the UTV's so I did 3xMenu 12357 and all functionality came back. Just my experience from 20 minutes ago.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It seems that letting it cool overnight did the trick. The unit had been on continuosly since we got it about a year ago.

This a.m. both tuners were able to see the signal, (at least for now... keeping fingers crossed.) On plugging it in the green light flashed many times and then turned off. Pressed it again and the thing started up with an updating guide and the signal strength was up to 93 on both tuners...yes!

We haven't seen any of the other signs of failure mentioned above, so maybe the damage is not too bad. We've raised it as recommended.

Hehe, we were moping around last night like little kids without their toys. Funny how lifestyle changing this technology is!

Thanks again... love this forum...

George

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.