AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you guys with Infocus X1 has had the same problem as I am having.

Over the last couple of months I have noticed a yellow band that runs across the entire right side of the image. At first it was very small, but over time it has grown to about 5% of the entire right side.

the best that I can describe it is that it is a yellowish tint that is transparent on the right side of the screen. I have cleaned the lens on the front, and have a fairly new bulb (only 200+ hours). This is apparent for all video inputs. I have somewhat been able to hide it by moving the horizontal position to the left, but then I miss some of the image.

I haven't called infocus yet to see what they say. It looks to be a pretty expensive fix if it is in the dmd chip. BTW, I have had this projector for about 2+ years and usually clean the filters regularly. I have taken it pretty far apart, but could not see any noticible problems.

I have attached some pics to show you the problem.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah...the other day I was at buffalo wild wings. They have about 6 infocus x1 that they show sports on. They had a couple that were experiencing the exact same problems as mine is.

I use this thing about 8 hours a day. I'm sure that BW3's uses it more. I am beginning to wonder if I have gotten all the goodie out of it.

·
Registered
667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgatesceo /forum/post/0

Oh yeah...the other day I was at buffalo wild wings. They have about 6 infocus x1 that they show sports on. They had a couple that were experiencing the exact same problems as mine is.

I use this thing about 8 hours a day. I'm sure that BW3's uses it more. I am beginning to wonder if I have gotten all the goodie out of it.

Have you pulled out the lamp and made sure it is properly seated again? I think the housing could probably get twisted out of alignment, and possibly cause this problem. It can't hurt to try. It will give you an opportunity to clean the screen also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the bulb out to see if it was seated correctly as suggested above, but to no avail it was in correct.

I did notice some burnt edges behind the color wheel on a piece that looks to be some sort of aperature for the light before it hits the dmd.

What do yall think?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Tech Support today. Of course my pj is out of warranty. The guy was really of no help in troubleshooting the problem or being able to say whether or not he has seen the problem before. Considering that I have witnessed 3 pj with the exact same problem, it would seem to me that infocus techs would have at least an idea as to what the problem is.

He did offer $100 trade-in for my X1.

Not too sure what to do...I just bought a new bulb a couple of months ago and that bulb won't fit a 4805. I could just try to sell the bulb, but might not get much. They have refurb'd 4805 at infocus for $729. So should I tradein my pj for the $100 and get the 4805, or keep the old one and try to fix it myself? Anyone ever taken an X1 down all the way to the light engine and take it apart? I work with LCDs for a living and can completely dissassemble one of those so I'm not too worried about the difficulty.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe the colourwheel is getting discoloured and causing the triggering to be off , or something shifted in the optical assembly ,worth having a better look if infocus isnt willing to help (there might be a reason why they offered the trade in ,perhaps being an easy fix). By the sound of it though it does look like heat related.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I decided to disect the X1 completely. I took it completely apart down to the individual components. I took the light engine completely apart down to the DLP chip.

What I discovered is that there is a piece made up of 4 tiny mirrors used as a light guide that goes between the color wheel, and a lens before it reaches into the light engine. These four pieces are glued together to make a rectangle pipe. It looks as if they became unglued and have shifted. this causes part of the DLP chip to receive a darker area and cause the problem. I am going to try and call tech support to see if they can privide a replacement mirror assembly.

If They won't I am up to trying to fab something my self. Any ideas? I have thought about a clear plexi light pipe.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, I tried to make them line up right without any glue and made the problem worse. I will post pics of the complete dissection laterz.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah....Here are the four pieces that make up the light guide. I sent in the unit awhile ago to get the color wheel assembly replaced. It's almost like the screwed this piece up in the process. There was some pretty shady glue that should have been holding the pieces together.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
SP4805 would still be under warranty. Don't even think about DIY on this one unless you have an unwarranted projector you do not mind using as a doorstop.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will post the rebuild tonight!. Yeah, if it is still under warranty, don't take it apart.....if not, there really isn't too many parts to lose, and it is pretty easy to put back together.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I may be paranoid, but I think my 4805 may be starting this and would love to see your rebuild pics if you still have them. Your pictoral along with someone with some glass/glue knowledge could do well to after market this part.

Thanks for the usefual pics already and insight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are unable to reassemble your current guide, or get a replacement from Infocus, do a google search for "light pipe homogenizer". Newport Corp. offers a variety of sizes.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogames56 /forum/post/0

so did you get it rebuilt...i have the same problem and it's killing me.

I rebuilt mine (4805) and it's working great! I made pictures as I took the PJ apart and rebuilt it. I actually took more apart than I needed to, so I'll try to edit out the ones that don't matter and make a step by step disassembly/fix/re-assembly by picture here in this thread in the next few days. I looked forever for something like that and couldn't find it, so I thought I'd make my own contribution here and do it for others having the same problem.

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkme /forum/post/0

I rebuilt mine (4805) and it's working great! I made pictures as I took the PJ apart and rebuilt it. I actually took more apart than I needed to, so I'll try to edit out the ones that don't matter and make a step by step disassembly/fix/re-assembly by picture here in this thread in the next few days. I looked forever for something like that and couldn't find it, so I thought I'd make my own contribution here and do it for others having the same problem.

Please do! That would be great as I'm facing the same repair challenge as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Remove lamp cover and lamp before starting disassembly. Pull the connector out and take out the 2 screws that are circled, then pull the lamp out.

Take the 4 screws out of the bottom of the projector and pry the front cover off by using a flat blade that will fit into the vent slots on the front and undo the three clasps that I have circled (I used a thin screwdriver, but ended up breaking the clasp on the far right- as you can see). A small flashlight will help you find exactly where the clasps are.

Remove the screws from the back panel of the projector as indicated from the red circles. There are also 3 more clasps that will need to be undone. You can see me pretending to pry on one as I try to hold the camera steady enough to take the picture. The second picture shows the exact location of the clasps and the 2 wires (yellow boxes) that needs to be disconnected. *Note the projector is flipped in the second picture*

Remove the top cover of the projector. Remove the 2 screws numbered 1 & 2 in the following picture. CAREFULLY slide the metal plate up and out toward the front of the projector, making sure not to let it contact the color wheel while you are removing it. Remove screw #3 and just push the small circuit board out of the way to continue working- no need to disconnect the wiring. Undo screws 4, 5 and 6 (next picture) and slowly remove the cover from the lens assembly area. Ignore the fact that my lens assembly has been completely removed from the projector in the second picture. That is part of the overkill in my disassembly when I was trying to find the mirror. *This is a good time to clean the lens with compressed air if you are having dust blob problems*

The screws marked #1 & 1b in the next picture hold the color wheel in place. I would suggest getting a helper to hold the color wheel assembly out of the way after you remove these screws. Don't touch the wheel itself, just handle it by the cable or metal area. Remove screw #2 carefully as well. It holds the metal bracket in place that keeps the mirror seated. There is a second screw holding the bracket in place that will be revealed when the color wheel is out of the way. Unscrew that, remove the bracket (carefully) and there is your nemesis.

I used tweezers and Krazy Glue to fix the mirror (working fine now for over 2 months). In my case, only one side of one of the mirrors had come loose, so I just had to adjust it with the tweezers and apply a little glue to the outside edge to correct the problem. After you fix it, just reverse the steps and hopefully you will have a clear image again! I would suggest testing it before putting all the housing back together in case there is a problem (The lamp cover needs to be on for the PJ to work, though). The clasps are not easy to undo, and I had to go back in a second time to make an adjustment, which was a pain because I had everything completely back together.

YAY, all fixed!

Keep in mind, I went by memory on the details of the disassembly, so if I left out a screw to remove here or there I'm sorry, but it will be pretty obvious when you get there. The main thing is getting past the fear of opening your PJ, knowing where the mirror is and how to get to it, which I hope this tutorial helps you do.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts