AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's particularly bad on DirectV Channel 76 (Discovery HD Theater) and 78, less bad but still noticeable on Ch 74 and 79. ESPN HD (Ch 73) isn't too bad. Do any of you have any ideas about what's wrong? DirectV put in a new receiver (HR10-250 w/ TIVO), I've had the satellite dish checked and signal strength checked twice, and I have no audio system connected. The connection is from HDMI output on the back of the satellite receiver to the HDMI input on the TV. Image is clear, audio is clear, but they are out of synch: the sound comes a noticeable fraction of a second before the lips move.

Any help would be apprciated. Is this likely to be a defect with my Panasonic TV?

Have a Circuit City buyer protection plan and the tech was over this morning. He was claiming that it's a matter of incompatability between the Panasonic TV and the DirecTV satellite receiver. Do you buy that? Should I ask for/demand a new TV?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginn
It's particularly bad on DirectV Channel 76 (Discovery HD Theater) and 78, less bad but still noticeable on Ch 74 and 79. ESPN HD (Ch 73) isn't too bad. Do any of you have any ideas about what's wrong? DirectV put in a new receiver (HR10-250 w/ TIVO), I've had the satellite dish checked and signal strength checked twice, and I have no audio system connected. The connection is from HDMI output on the back of the satellite receiver to the HDMI input on the TV. Image is clear, audio is clear, but they are out of synch: the sound comes a noticeable fraction of a second before the lips move.

Any help would be apprciated. Is this likely to be a defect with my Panasonic TV?

Have a Circuit City buyer protection plan and the tech was over this morning. He was claiming that it's a matter of incompatability between the Panasonic TV and the DirecTV satellite receiver. Do you buy that? Should I ask for/demand a new TV?

Is this on live program or recorded show? I also noticed this on recorded shows on my HR10-250 but from OTA channels that was boradcasting in HD. The strange thing is while it's out of sync during the program. The commercials were fine. and it does varies from channel to channel. On live TV, I do see some out of sync also but it veries quite a bit from channel to channel with some of them being perfect while others looks like a dubbed movie. I and using the RCA audio out to my receiver atm but will try the optical out when i have a chance. I have read in other forums that sometime it will clear up if you unplug the TIVO and plug it back. I don't have my DTV HD programming yet (waiting for a triple LNB dish to be install this Friday) so I can't tell if this is also happening on DTV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wiz: as you probably know, virtually ALL programs on Discovery HD Theater channel are prerecorded. In fact, I don't see many "live" programs at all on DirecTV channels 73-79, EXCEPT ESPN HD. And, as I said, the problem is almost minimal on that channel. I did notice the problem on KQED's HD channel that I get with my off-air antenna (that DirecTV installed). That's where things stand right now. I hope it doesn't turn out that the CC tech who came out this morning is correct in asserting that there's a compatability problem between my Panasonic TC32LX50 LCD television and the DirecTV HR10-250 DVR w/ Tivo. That would be a bummer. If so, one possible salvation may lie in the fact that next January, when DirecTV is supposed to start broadcasting all the local HD channels around the country via their new satellite, there may be an equipment upgrade: i.e., DirecTV may require a different receiver and I've been promised by them that if that happens they'll provide a new receiver to me cost-free. If that works out, perhaps that will solve the alleged compatibility problem. Otherwise, I'll have to give this set to my wife or son and get one, e.g., one of the new Philips LCD's from COSTCO with its unbeatable, return-it-anytime-for-any-reason guarantees.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.