AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just received my HLN507W today. Hooked it up to a HD931 via DVI.

First tested In The Line of Fire, which is an anamorphic DVD. Everything was fine, less the color needed adjustments.

Well, after fiddling for quite a bit, I ended up with a "squished" vertical image. The image on the DVD is 16:9. However, it is being displayed on screen as a 2.35:1 and has black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Everyone on screen is too fat.

Now, I've just spent the better part of an hour and a half, going through manuals, looking through this site, and trying various settings on the DVD player and the TV -- I can change a lot of stuff, but this vertical squish is still there.

I then tried it on 2 other movies (War Games and Speed) with exactly the same effect.

If I use the component input, I can set the aspect ratio to "Normal" and it is okay. But on the DVI I only have Wide (TV) and Wide (PC), both of which have the same problem.

Help! I know it looked fine when I first connected everything together. Is there a setting I don't know about? Is there a way to reset all of the settings to their factory defaults.

Is it perhaps a DVD setting I've overlooked.

Arrrghhhh!

Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that was dumb. In trying to remedy the War Games (non-amanmorphic) DVD, I did switch the DVD player mode.

This did handle it for the Line of Fire and other anamorphic DVDs.

Anyone know how to make non-anamorphic DVDs and fullscreen DVDs play without stretching on a HD931/Samsung DLP combo (DVI cable)?

Jeffrey

·
Registered
273 Posts
HD931 via DVI stretches non-anamorphic and 4:3 movies. You can't fix that. It's just a dumb oversight by Samsung (for example my Bravo D1 with DVI doesn't do that). But I beleive you can connect a pair of component cables and use them to watch these movies in normal non-stretched mode.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by t0lik
HD931 via DVI stretches non-anamorphic and 4:3 movies. You can't fix that. It's just a dumb oversight by Samsung (for example my Bravo D1 with DVI doesn't do that). But I beleive you can connect a pair of component cables and use them to watch these movies in normal non-stretched mode.
I believe that too. :) In fact, if I had the 931 I would be doing that a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.