AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK gurus, I need your help more than ever...

I just cut a deal on a thirdhand (yes, the person selling it bought it used), and I need to know what I should look for when I pick it up.

I was told that there was no burn in to the "unexperienced" eyes of the seller, and that the unit is clean and doesn't have any smells in or out, only that the blue crt was hard to focus with the others. While I don't have any reason to disbelieve what the seller says, I am unsure of what to look for.

Obviously I will check the CRTs for burn in with a high powered flashlight, but what else should I look for. I got a very good deal, so I don't plan on being too nitpicky here, but I would like to know what giveaways there are that this may be a peice of junk.

thanks,

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you've already bought it, does it really matter what you find when you get there? You now have what you have regardless of what you find.

Without powering it up all you can do is light up the phosphor with a flashlight as you mentioned. Also, open the cover to look at the amount of black 'soot' on the HV cables that run to each tube. (The red cables.) Yes, someone could have removed the soot from the cables, but if the rest of it seems to match what you see, you can determine if it's high, med or low hours.

Oz

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Oz,

You're right, I have what I have.

What I'm thinking is consistency between what the seller has told me so far and what I see when I get there. If he tells me there is no burn in on the crts and i go there and they are all jammed up, then there's a problem. And again, I am told its clean as clean, but if I go there and see otherwise, then there's an issue.

As long as its like the seller said it is, I am content.

Unfortunately I don't know about specific things to look for, which is why I posted this.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

thanks,

-

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
When you go to pick it up ask to connect it to a source and power it on. If no source is available, power it on and push the # button on the remote. A test pattern should come on, on all three tubes. Push the "cont" button and use the appropriate arrow button to reduce the contrast level to 2. This will allow you to look directy into the lenses with the unit on without hurting your eyes. Check that each tube has uniform focus. If any tubes have a combination of sharp and blurry areas on the same tube, then that tube probably has what is commonly refered to on this forum as FUNGUS. If your blue tube is equally defocussed across the face of the tube, check the tube numbers. An ECP 4100 came with SD-187 tubes. Look and see if the blue tube has been replaced with a 07MS (B). I've given you enough info to get yourself into trouble. Don't touch any of the insides or adjustments yet. We will save that for later.

Chip S.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chip!

You guys are awesome.

I will report back when I pick it up, and you can give me what we're saving for later.

Two questions about what you just said:

1) Fungus is fixable, right?

2) Is it bad if the blue crt is replaced with an 07MS (B)? Or should I just be happy that it has been replaced with a newer tube and will likely serve me longer than the original?

thanks,

-K

focusing this sucker is going to be fun.....................................

·
Registered
551 Posts
blue can be hard for your eyes to see, so you may not get the focus "right on"...

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
That and an 07MS requires a resistor mod on the bias board to be able to achieve good focus. If someone replaced the blue with an 07, and did not do the mod, then you will not have enough range to focus the blue tube. As an example, the bias board comes with 44M of resistance. 07 tubes like closer to 65M. I replaced only my blue and went with 55M. Kind of an inbetween solution.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks David, thanks Jay,

So if it is not modded with the resistor, can I do that myself? Or is it dangerous/a pro's job?

And is fungus fixable?

grazie,

-K

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Easy, easy, easy! Get the pj, lets see what you got, and go from there. You only need to do my version if there are different CRTS in the unit. If all original SD187s, there is adifferent mod. Let us know!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jay,

I just noticed you are in Tx, I have family in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I'm going to be visiting them in august....I think I just may die from the insane amounts of heat you Texans have to deal with!

-Kaaran

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
BTW, Yes, "fungus" in fixable...it's just a PITA!

Come on, its not that hot :D I'm further south...down about 100 miles due east of Houston. Right o the border of LA and the swamps ;)

All the more reason to stay inside and watch movies!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a PITA? I don't know what that is! Like the bread? That's got to be an acronym for something...

True, if we had weather like that up here in New York I would feel the same way! But as it stands, I usually feel guilty staying inside with all there is to do in the city...but I still do...and I think it is only going to get worse with the pj..... :D

-Kaaran

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I just got what you meant by PITA......pain in the...well, we got it :)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yep...you got it!

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Oh, ok I was wondering why you were comparing it to a kind of bread...

Chip S.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am reading this thread with great interest, because I just pulled down two "retired" ECP 4100's from an old operations center room here at my company. One has a sticker that says "do not turn on, blue gun disconnected"!!

I have read a few threads here about people "stumbling" across these things, and I said I'd never have that kind of luck! I was over there working on some other equipment, looked up at the ceiling, and said "hey"! Are you guys using all three of those?

Anyway, the price is right, (free for the labor), the whole department fell victim to corporate downsizing, and there is still a 4101 with the ACON left, just in case anybody really wants to see CNN on about a 4 ft. screen!!

Neither of these even had an input or power connection anymore, and nobody that is left in the room even knows how long they have been there, or how long they were used.

Anyway, they are still in the truck, I am going to try to fire up the one without the sticker tonight, I have the 20 pg. or so jpg "manual" already downloaded :)

If either one has anything close to workable tubes in them, I will be greatly surprised, I kinda expect to see a large Windows desktop or Openview SNMP screen permanently burned in, but it will make a nice side project, I have all the other goodies, htpc, RCA DTC100, and a Mits 55805 (oops, this is the CRT forum, oh yeah, it has CRT"S :)

I suppose the first thing I will want to do is figure out how to "flip" the picture, they were ceiling mounted, and I will have to table mount them for a while.

I will keep y'all posted on my progress, and might (will) have a few questions :)

Curt, if they are a total bust, you can have them for parts someday!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Oh, as far as the Texas weather, "yeah, but its a dry heat" !!

At least it used to be until all this d^(% global warming/ozone layer thing!!

We slept with the "winderz" open last night, but don't expect to be doing that kinda' thing too much longer :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DaBurl,

Hey, when you find out how to flip the picture, please drop me a line here, I have a feeling I'll have to do the same...

Yes, you are right, here in New York our heat is stifling because of the humidity. Although, recently we have had extremely odd weather patterns....one day it's 70, the next its 40....it's almost scary how erratic it can be.

Still, let's hope I don't die in the middle of August, in the middle of Texas...

-K

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Hey ya'll,

Dry heat my arse! It's a hunnert dagreez down he-ah (say it reall fast). I don't know about no dry heat...humiditys pert near ahunnert percent too!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well, the second one works!! It still to braht' down heah' to do anything to it, but all the crts have raster, and no laht's are on that ain't posed to be.

(I don't have a light controlled room, its my livin' room)

Oh, we did have to turn on the a/c this afternoon, its a little sticky even up here in Big D.

Ah'm fixin' to hook up a signal to her.

So, how do you flip these things, anyway???

I suppose I am starting a pretty long journey of searching and reading old posts, but with the collected wisdom here, I think I can get her goin'

Thanks all

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.