AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of 1982 Cornwalls, sequential serial #s, missing "some" veneer, missing 1 badge.. for $450.

steal, deal, fair price, not so fair price...?

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Can you hear them before buying them? If they're in good working order, they are tons of fun, rough edges and all. Also, you probably want to pick them up. Shipping will be more than the purchase price.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
They are a bit rough for that kind of money. I am on the Klipsch forum all the time A really excellent pair can bring $900.00 but those need at least 300 dollars worth of veneer plus the labor. I'd go $325 at most for those.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/16928535

They are a bit rough for that kind of money. I am on the Klipsch forum all the time A really excellent pair can bring $900.00 but those need at least 300 dollars worth of veneer plus the labor. I'd go $325 at most for those.

Yeah, $325-$350 tops in that condition. Those have seen some "rough" times IMHO. Either in handling or environment, so I'd be extra cautious. Look closely at the driver surrounds (most likely foam) to check for wear or signs of replacement. And, like Paul suggests, listen to them. I'd suggest one at a time and then both together.

If all appears to be fine (the surrounds), they sound fine and you don't have to spend what they are asking.... those would be fun (and quite easy with the square, flat surfaces) to re-veneer in some exotic veneer. What a conversation piece you'd have then. Not to mention a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/16929112

Yeah, $325-$350 tops in that condition. Those have seen some "rough" times IMHO. Either in handling or environment, so I'd be extra cautious. Look closely at the driver surrounds (most likely foam) to check for wear or signs of replacement. And, like Paul suggests, listen to them. I'd suggest one at a time and then both together.

If all appears to be fine (the surrounds), they sound fine and you don't have to spend what they are asking.... those would be fun (and quite easy with the square, flat surfaces) to re-veneer in some exotic veneer. What a conversation piece you'd have then. Not to mention a lot of fun.

Klipsch Cornwall (like all other Heritage line) have never used foam. Paper. Unless flooded or something like that, they last a very very very long time. I have some from 1973 and they still appear new.

It's a good thing. Foam really sucks for durability.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/16933741

Klipsch Cornwall (like all other Heritage line) have never used foam. Paper. Unless flooded or something like that, they last a very very very long time. I have some from 1973 and they still appear new.

It's a good thing. Foam really sucks for durability.

Understood.... I didn't know what type of surrounds were around the drivers on the Cornwalls. And knowing how lousy foam is for durability, I though I would suggest he double check the surrounds to see what kind of condition they were in or any evidence that they weren't original. ESPECIALLY since the veneer appears to have some water damage issues, or damage from long exposure to UV's etc.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Oh it's great advice for purchasing old speakers! I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise (always hard to tell from forum posts). I just wanted to clarify that old Klipsch speakers don't have this problem.

For models on which the woofer is completely hidden from view in a horn-loaded bass bin (La Scala and Klipschorn for example), visual inspection is tricky. So then it's good to know that they are NOT foam. On those models, the hiding from view also protects from pocking fingers and inverted dust caps. You can pull out a 30 year old woofer from a bass bin and it usually looks new!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.