AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to mount my 46" LCD in the bricks above my fireplace, rebuild the mantle to include a built-in hifi center speaker, and also include fans on the underside of the new mantle to repell/disburse the heat from our wood burning fireplace which gets quite hot in the winter - and spread the warmth around our lounge. bookshelf speakers required for right/left, subwoofer to go in the cupboards below at right or left, Yamaha RX-V1900 receiver to be placed on top of cupboard, along with Oppo BDP-83 player.

Please see the attached photo of the fireplace mantle to be modified, as well as a crude sketch of what I plan on doing.

I know this has been done before, with many fireplaces, however I have failed to find a single example that includes a center speaker built in to the mantle.

Please advise on the following points:
  • costs, especially unforseen expenses
  • expertise required, carpenters, etc.
  • hifi center speaker recommendation to be built into mantle
  • hifi bookshelf speaker recommendation
  • subwoofer in cupboard recommendation
  • specialized equipment required - Ie. fans in mantle, tv mount for bricks
  • advise on what to do about the 25 year old ceiling mounted lights
  • references to similar projects would be greatly appreciated (URL's, photos)
  • also - will this melt my tv if the fire is too hot, how hot is too hot?

What is the standard modern lighting used in night lounges/home theaters these days?

Thanks for the yet to be given advise, inspiration, stories, etc. I hope this project pays off!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,118 Posts
Take a look at the HSU speakers, if you can make the center fit you would have a winner.

Or it might be a whole lot easier to go with a Phantom center set up.

I've gone on record before as hating over fireplace TV mounting. I can't imagine looking up near the ceiling for any extended period of time. I understand that this may be the only location you have to work with so good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to forum. But, I like how every one has come up with so many creative solutions with DIY. I have a similar questions, I just bought 46" lcd. I am thinking it to mount on the fireplace that we never use (so heating is not a problem at all). My concern is, what if there are no studs behind this hollow wall. As you can see from pic, my fireplace is approx 32" tall and the brick wall is hollow not actual bricks.

So far I am thinking to attach a thick 3" plywood with the white wooden studs on side (about 3" thick) and mount tv on that plywood. I will greatly appreciate any other suggestions/comments.

Thanks in advance,

keep up the good work.

·
Registered
893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisjev /forum/post/16989966

I am new to forum. But, I like how every one has come up with so many creative solutions with DIY. I have a similar questions, I just bought 46" lcd. I am thinking it to mount on the fireplace that we never use (so heating is not a problem at all). My concern is, what if there are no studs behind this hollow wall. As you can see from pic, my fireplace is approx 32" tall and the brick wall is hollow not actual bricks.

So far I am thinking to attach a thick 3" plywood with the white wooden studs on side (about 3" thick) and mount tv on that plywood. I will greatly appreciate any other suggestions/comments.

Thanks in advance,

keep up the good work.

I would box in the area above the mantle, make the TV recessed and the center chan below it recessed. There is a faux brick system you can buy where it is less than 1/4" thick and feels like it is made of rubber. It looks like the real thing.

That is what I would do. Make sure you have a panel or a junction box BEHIND the recessed TV in the existing wall that has electrical and conduit. Run a small pipe from it down to the center chan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to update my progress, I have ordered the Sanus LMT15 motorized tv mount for my brick fireplace, there is a section in the manual indicating that mounting to brick is no problem. I will go with a Hilti product, most likely a sleeve anchor with epoxy.

HOWEVER, searching the net I have so far found NOTHING regarding an integrated center speaker in my mantel shelf! I am astounded, has no one ever thought of this before?!?!?!?!

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please shoot them my way at all costs! This is seemingly going to be a home-built project, which means forking out some $$ to buy a compressor/brad nailer setup, etc.

I still need ideas for heat dispursal, my wood burning fireplace gets pretty hot - measured at 36C where the TV will be located. Please recommend quiet fans that could be easily integrated into my home built mantel design, and concealed of course for esthetics.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.