AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with the LFE output on my Reciever (Yamaha RX-V1200). Do I have to have a different LFE level of DD and DTS ES? The difference between DD and DTS ES is 6 to 8 db difference. Do I adjust my sub to DD then trim them down when playing DTS ES? I did notice the DTS ES send a 90 Hz and below signal. DD frequencies are much higher (around 130 Hz).

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the help

Scott

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If i am not mistaken. Most DTS recording have the LFE set at -10 and DD set at 0. That cuz the DTS signal is not compressed. (Please this is not a flame. Just stating what I know from DTS and DD). Also the LFE crossover depends on the reciever. I think denon sets it at 80 hz when you choose the small speakers.

·
Registered
407 Posts
figgie,

Your post is very brief and if taken at face value, is incorrect. Check out our article for a better understanding of the LFE channel.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...pril-2000.html

youchi,

What do you mean when you say there is a 6-8dB difference? How are you measuring this? You should calibrate the speaker levels, including subwoofer using AVIA or Video Essentials. The Dolby Digital and DTS LFE offset in the Yamaha should be left at "0". The only reason to lower them is if you think your subwoofer can't handle the full signal. If you are hearing a difference in bass level between a DTS soundtrack and a Dolby Digital soundtrack it has nothing to do with your equipment or the DD/DTS Codecs. It is a decision by the people who made the soundtrack.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Brian

Thanks for the info. Now the problem is that it is for Theater usage and you only speak of DD and not DTS. I can tell you that my denon from factory sets DTS LFE to -10 and the DD stays at 0. I also seen this in the 3801 and 3802 and 4400. I own the 3300. So not sure why they do this if that is the case. But probably to offset the +10 db over reference of the rest of the speakers as states in that link you showed me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Figgie,

I'm not sure what you mean by "the problem is that it is for Theater usage".

As far as the DTS LFE channel, there is nothing special about it or its level. It is just a sixth, band limited channel. Set up a system properly with AVIA or Video Essentials and the DTS levels, including LFE, will be correct.

As far as the Denons coming out of the box with a DTS LFE offset of -10dB, if you read their manual (page 52 in the 3801 manual), they recommend that setting when listening to DTS music material. For DTS movies they tell you to set it at 0dB (unless your subwoofer can't handle it).

There is no need to offset anything in consumer gear. Dolby Digital's 10dB gain of its LFE channel is transparent to the user.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
well so sue me for being dyslexic ;) I read DTS music but I comprehend DTS everything :/ Oh well. Anyway yeah I readjusted it to -2 db and left the DD at 0. For some reason it sounds way to loud when i put it @ 0 for DTS. My apartment is not that big.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If it sounds "way to loud" at the 0 setting, its a pretty good guess that that particular soundtrack was mixed for playback at the music setting.

We've seen some overlap where a movie needs the music setting and vice versa. A bit of a guessing game unfortunately.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My RX-V3000 has a setting in the setup menu to set the LFE gain for DD and DTS seperately. Look in hte setup menu, it is right after the dynamic range setting for DD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.