AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my issue:

I use my 42LH50 to watch videos shared from my desktop PC on our home network. For the last 2-3 months, I have not had any issues with the TV whatsoever including watching shows I had "shared" on my PC. I would click "Netcast", go to "My Media" -> "Movie List" and select "Network". It would then go to "Searching Network", and a list of all available computers on the network would show up. I would pick mine, and navigate to the properly shared video file.

Today, when I click to go to "Network" to find my PC (and other PC's in the network) - the TV gets stuck on "Searching Network" and goes back to the device selection menu.

All internet features still work on the TV including Netflix Streaming, Yahoo Widgets, Vudu, Youtube. The TV still recognizes video stored on a USB drive and plays them fine. From the PC side, I can connect and see all other PC's on the network from my PC.

Does anyone know why the network feature stopped working?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi - sorry I don't have an answer for you, I would say check your network settings because it appears your display isn't seeing the devices anymore.

I'm considering getting this display for the CIFS/Netcast features. What format are you videos in and how is the quality/performance on the display?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Network settings seem to be in check. On my PC, I can connect to other PC's on the network (no security settings) and watch videos - On the television, internet works fine (netflix, widgets, vudu, etc).

The main problem is I can no longer connect to a PC from the TV's network feature to watch a video from a "shared" folder. It was working great for 2 months too =(.

To answer your question, the TV played - mpeg, avi, mkv, mp4, mov with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem. I have a CAT5 wall-plate in my living room, attached to a patch panel, attached to a hub (yes, sorry), attached to a router via cross-over, which is then attached to the cable modem.

Everything else in the house works just fine. And, when I plug my laptop into the port, I'm able to pull an IP address automatically.

I've tried:

1) DHCP on the TV

2) Manually setting the IP address on the TV using external DNS servers

3) Plugging the tv directly into the cable modem and trying DHCP (no luck).

One thing I did notice that was weird is when I set the IP address manually, it returned the settings to me in a dialog box, with a mac address as "ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff." This looked fishy, and LG keeps telling me to call my ISP.

This is insanely frustrating, especially considering the TV was purchased less than a month ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
adp1207 your problem seems to be diffrent or may i say far worst that we topic is.

the MAC "ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff." does look bad you sould have a MAC address that start with "00:E0:91:xx:xx:xx" the Xs means any number the 00:E0:91 are used for all LG devices.

I have two LG product Blueray and LG-tv and both start with 00:E0:91

Maybe you should call them back and try to talk tier2 support.

for the DCHP to assign your TV an ip address you need to have usable unique MAC address.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezie /forum/post/17727728

Fixed it - a computer on the network was causing a conflict =x

Fixed it yes you did, but I don't think is was a conflict.

if you set you TV with DHCP, the router will not assign the same ip address twice. unless you have the pc turned off and the router assigned the same Ip address to the TV. in any case once the PC is turned ON, the PC will tell you that you have conflict with the ip address.

I had My TV working with no issues for almost 3 month and just lately I start having the issues with the shared network.

I have not any upgrades, I have not changed any setting, so what's the issue.

what I did is upgraded one of my machines to Windows 7.

before I jumped to conclusion I turned off the new upgraded machine, waited 30 sec. turned off the tv and turned it back on. and voila everything is working.

Turned on the PC on again. same problem.

it seems By default Windows 7 has the shared network turned off.

to turn it on go to

Control Panel\\All Control Panel Items\\Network and Sharing Center\\Advanced sharing settings

This seems to be a bug in the software it should time out and proceed with what ever shared network it found, instead off login off completely.

now if you wireless network is open and somehow someone with windows 7 is steeling you internet connecting. you will now be able to browse you shared network

Let me know if you guys need any more clarification

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem...browse network for shared files from Netcast times out. Tried with WinXP and Mac OS X Leopard to no avail. Sniffing network with Wireshark shows LG using ARP to identify hosts and then NetBIOS to query each that's active. Just nothing happens after that.

LG tech support has been fruitless thus far. They tell me to make sure to use wired Ethernet, that sharing's set up properly, and that firewall rules aren't blocking. Also had me hold down the power button for 45 seconds to reset network parameters. Nothing worked. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I discovered a solution
:

1. Powered down everything touching the network: unplugged DSL modem/router, switch and WAP, powered off computers, and killed TV master switch.

2. Turned on DSL modem. Waited til startup/connection sequence completed.

3. Plugged in switch, then the WAP.

4. Turned on TV (all the way to the My Media menu).

5. Turned on computer. (Sharing was auto-enabled.)

6. Selected Photos from My Media on TV.
The computer network name came right up, and I could browse the shared file structure and view photos, mp3s, movies, etc. Note that I successfully shared from Mac OS X Leopard (running Windows File Sharing) over 802.11g (i.e., wirelessly).

I hypothesize that the issue had to do with either bad ARP tables (in the modem/router, switch, and/or TV) or with bad DNS/WINS tables (in the modem/router and/or TV). Regardless of the specific root cause, the sequence above cleared the issue. The sequence can be simplified to the following:

1. Kill everything on the network as dead as it'll go (unplug if necessary).

2. Power items up one at a time from the Internet side inward (e.g., modem -> router -> switch -> WAP -> TV, computers & appliances), giving each time to come up before moving to the next item.
Obviously, step 2 will be specific to your particular network. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I seem to have the same or similar problem. My pc and 42LH50 are on the same network but connected to different routers. I can "see" the tv on my network from my pc and connect to the internet from the tv with no problem.

When I click the "network" folder under photos, video or audio, the tv searches for something for about a minute but then stops.

I've spent more than 2 frustrating hours on the phone with LG. They clearly have no clue about this issue. The manual is absolutely no help. They even sent a repair guy to my house. When he looked at it, he told me the tv was fine, so there was nothing he could do. I think he just didn't understand networking, but I'm frustrated they made me spend the morning at home waiting for a guy who did nothing.

Anyway, I tried powering everything down as described above, but that didn't solve the problem. It seems like there should be a simple fix, but I'm shocked LG hasn't provided any help to find it (maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm pretty familiar with computers and networking and am sure the pages in the manual wouldn't make any sense to a person with average computer knowledge).

I'd appreciate any help with this. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich47 /forum/post/17932737

My pc and 42LH50 are on the same network but connected to different routers.

The file sharing implementation on the LG is exceedingly simple (i.e., not very flexible)...I'm not sure that it can work across two routers. Have you tried connecting both the PC and the TV to the same router?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doing a Wireshark capture from your sharing workstation could help troubleshoot the problem. At the very least, you can see the ARP and NETBIOS traffic to see if it at least looks normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've experienced the exact same problem where the tv can't find the computers on the network. I've traced it to the use of wireless printers. I have a wireless Brother laser printer (HL2170W)and a wireless Canon all-in-one printer (mp560), and when either of them are on and operating wirelessly, the TV can't find the computers on the network. When I turn off the printers or connect them via USB, the myVideos feature works fine and the TV is able to find the computers and the associated shared folders, both Windows 7 and Windows XP. I haven't had time to mess around with the wireless configuration on the printers to see if its a particular protocol that's causing the problem. Maybe with this info the techs at LG could figure it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by szagrobelny /forum/post/18423578

I've experienced the exact same problem where the tv can't find the computers on the network. I've traced it to the use of wireless printers. I have a wireless Brother laser printer (HL2170W)and a wireless Canon all-in-one printer (mp560), and when either of them are on and operating wirelessly, the TV can't find the computers on the network. When I turn off the printers or connect them via USB, the myVideos feature works fine and the TV is able to find the computers and the associated shared folders, both Windows 7 and Windows XP. I haven't had time to mess around with the wireless configuration on the printers to see if its a particular protocol that's causing the problem. Maybe with this info the techs at LG could figure it out.

That's actually very interesting because we just bought this TV and have it connected to my network wirelessly using a wireless bridge. It works just fine using Yahoo Widgets, Netflix, Youtube and the other video streaming service but will not find my Windows 7 computer after changing almost every windows 7 networking setting I could think of. It has worked ONCE, i was able to see my computer and stream all of my videos, it worked fantastically just that one time and after turning the tv off and on again, it stopped working again. I have contacted LG and they are helpful but are still looking into the issue. I wonder if it may be an issue with just using wireless but that does not make any sense since all the other networking services work just fine and that it did work that ONE time... I don't know. It might be worth just buying a long enough network cable and testing to see if it is something to do with using a wireless bridge.

No one must be using this service. If more people did, with all these problems I bet you they would already have some sort of a fix in the way of more detailed instructions on how to get it to work or by an update for the TV.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts