AVS Forum banner

Help? Lighting and Paint

823 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mhutchins 
#1 ·
Couple questions here regarding Light and Paint, any advice would be great! Our room is 16x16 with 8FT ceilings in the basement. We are either going with a darker blue, or darker grey (linked).

PAINT:

1) Typically you paint the baseboards white, but in a theater room should we paint the base boards the same color to make it as dark as possible?
2) Also the door on the inside (Theater side), should we paint that one of these darker colors or leave them white?
3) If it were you would you paint the speaker covers? its 7.2.4, the FLR are behind the screen, but yea not sure.
4) We have one window in the room that the company is installing black out curtain's, but the builder cased the windows upstairs white. Keep them white or paint them darker?

My problem with paint is that it looks better when they are white and screen is not on for the pop and contrast, but after spending all this money I want the viewing experience to be the best possible as well. Curious on your take?

Lighting:

At the back of the room we have a dropped soffit for the HVAC and is where the projector will be mounted. We are just going to put 4 can lights (Dimmers), two on each side of the projector. Is that good enough?

And finally, if there was anything you would have done differently with your room, what would that be? I am down to the wire on final decisions.

Thanks,

Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
1) White is highly reflective so if you can go darker probably a really good idea. Mine is black but anything gray, black, etc will make for a better movie experience
2) See above response. Mine is grey fabric
3) Yes easily accomplished with a can of spray paint. Mine are all behind fabric or the screen
4) See item one above.

Re the lighting it really depends what the lighting is for. When watching movies we rarely have anything but the riser step lights on. When watching sports I typically have the LED can lights on but dimmed, when cleaning all lights on high.

#3 ·
I'm terrible at aesthetics, so I would seek the advice of someone with a better eye for colors. Regardless, I'm happy to give advice! :rolleyes:

1, 2 & 4. I would paint all the trim a darker color using the "similar colors" or "coordinating colors" function on the web pages you linked. I would avoid white and I would avoid gloss opting for matte or eggshell. I would probably paint the door the same color as the wall.
3. Yes, either match the wall or black.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.