AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m 60+ miles from the NY transmitters so I am thinking this is my only good antenna, but dam they just discontinued it. so I am looking for someone who is still selling it. any hope or is there something else that will work?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Tried starks already they are listing it as discontinued as of June, the CM4348 is there longest range antenna listed there now and I do not think it`s enough! At least without building a tower.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks John for the link,the dam Para-scope is a little big, I was going to use this antenna because I thought it was the only one that would do the job.I found the CM 4228 can do 60 miles so with an 7775 amp, might work? I don`t know anything about these bow tie type antennas so

I hope someone who has some experience with these can help

answer I few questions I have.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
The Blake JBX21 works good for stations 138 miles away.
Glenn;

Can you provide some more info about the Blake antenna, these are amazing distances?

(BTW I believe KNSD is on Mt. San Miguel, not Mt. Soledad)

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

[This message has been edited by HiDefGuy (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to look into blake, but it seems a little overkill?

I`d rather buy local so if it didn`t work I would be able to return it. I have no multipath problems, and it`s very

flat out here. There are no stations behind me, just to the side in Conn. All dtv is in a small arc to the west of my location. I`m looking just for a gain in db. so the cheapest option is the CM4228 if I can get the blake for the

same price I might look at it. just found this? http://www.lindsayelec.com/6-pbu-uhf.html is this a replacement for the para-scope?

[This message has been edited by lomax (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The Blake JBX21 works good for stations 138 miles away.

Results= Network Name, Channel Number...Signal Strength

MT. SOLEDAD, SAN DIEGO, DIST= 113 MILES

KGTV 25...87-93

KFMB 55...88-90

MT. SAN MIGUEL, SAN DIEGO, DIST= 132 MILES

KSWB 19...68-73

KNSD 40...0-50

KPBS 30...N/A

TIJUANA, DIST= 138 MILES

XETV 23...81-83

I've compared the para-scope to other antennas here: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013407.html

------------------

-Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn_L (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gee I see why there is no prices on the Lindsay site, I love my HDTV but lets get real. Think I`m going for the

8-bay 4228 as I am only 64 miles away from the transmitters, so 4228 is good enough and cheap. I`d look at the Blake, but could not find them and I looked for hours, just no luck.

[This message has been edited by lomax (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm right in your backyard in Medford and I'm using a Channelmaster 4248 with a Wineguard 4800 preamp. I receive all stations perfectly (except WNET which is sporadic, but that's another issue). I too looked at the Parascope, but came to the conclusion that it was overkill as well as way too big. The 4248 is very popular with HDTV enthusiasts and perfect for our location.

[This message has been edited by Paul K (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gaw2:
Any web site for the Blake antenna? Bill
I found this URL from an old post but it didn't work last night nor when I just tried it (have Blake Ariels folded?) http://www.blake-aerials.co.uk/jbx.htm

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you look at the tests I posted you will see that the 4248 performed better than the 4228 and the 4251 for stations over 100 miles away. This would be the best option for a local bought antenna, pick up a 7775 amp to go with it.

For Blake JBX21WB: http://www.blake-aerials.co.uk/

Murray on this board may have one for sale.

The Lindsay antennas are very expensive, some are almost $8,000. They probably work good, but are really made to last for 20 years on a radio tower.

I'll double check the KNSD site.

Update: Blake website is not working right now?

------------------

-Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn_L (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hello Paul, nice to hear from someone so close, but isn`t the CM4248 rated only for 45 miles? I would like to get everything in without an pre-amp if possible. Plus the CM4228A looks a lot better up, Also I am ordering two and am thinking of combining them into a 16 bay unit if possible,or if not using them to point in two different directions to input one to ant1 and the other to ant2 on my Hipix.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The "milage" rating on antennas is mostly B.S., just as the milage rating on cars. I mean, how can a company realistically give such a rating, when they have no idea what the terrain looks like between you and the station, how high you both are, and how much power the station is putting out? What counts in an antenna are gain and directionality.

If you need gain, the CA-9095 is also a possibility, http://www.winegard.com/images/pdf/Ca-9095.pdf . It has almost as much gain is the Parascope, and is reasonably priced. Also, from 60 miles out, with the NYC transmitters not being particularly high (only about ~1000 ft?), a good pre-amp would probably help alot.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
361 Posts
Iomax,

I think that height is a more important consideration at our location than antenna type. Large antennas like the parascope (which is as large as a garage door) have a high wind load. A factor in my choice of the 4248 was its low wind load. I have mine mounted 30' up, attached to a mast that extends 15' above my roofline. I couldn't mount a Parascope up as high without lots of unsightly guy wires. My mast is VERY securely fastened to the side of my house and I needed no guy wires. Ascetically, the antenna looks very good mounted in this manner. My preamp is mounted up on the mast right below the antenna. I think that a preamp is mandatory, no matter what antenna you choose at this distance.

As for mileage ratings, channelmaster is very conservative with their specs. If you open up a radio shack catalogue, you will see that they sell an antenna that is almost identical to the 4248, but rate it for over 70 miles. The terrain between us and NYC on the south shore is also very flat, which greatly facilitates reception.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Speaking of the 4248, I set mine up and the directions seemed to indicate that the balun connects to the side opposite the two parallel flat units going back from the main element. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by webmarin:

Speaking of the 4248, I set mine up and the directions seemed to indicate that the balun connects to the side opposite the two parallel flat units going back from the main element. Is this correct?
That is correct. The side with the two stubs is for connecting to a VHF antenna, if you use one.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paul, I can`t put an antenna up that high I`m looking at only 22-25 above ground level total. I`m using a ratshack 190 vhf/uhf type ant. I get good levels at night but no daytime HD! Not that there is anything to watch anyway,but I`d like to beet the rain fade if possible. Still think I`m going with the CM4228, or two http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif big big question has anyone found a place to buy the Blake antenna?

[This message has been edited by lomax (edited 08-23-2001).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.