AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my NEC LT240 DLP projector pretty much when they first came out. Right off the bat the projector had a 'spot' on the screen that sharpened up a bit as I put the projector OUT of focus. The spot is invisible if there's any color or light on the screen, but if it's a black screen (such as the credits) or maybe a VERY dark scene it is visible.

Obviously tried to clean the lense - same thing. Figured it was something in the optical path and called NEC. They next-dayed me a brand new replacement and it was great for a couple months.

Then, another spot appeared. It really doesn't bother me much because I pretty much only see it when I first start a movie and that's it. I had a lot of other crap going on so didn't want to bother with it.

Now I've got more time and would like to get it resolved. However, because the projector is rather old at this point I think NEC would probably replace it with a refurbished projector. Since I have NO problems and this is almost a non-issue, I'd hate to risk swapping this with a projector that could be a nightmare.

What surprised me most about this is that one of the projector's selling points was that it had a 'sealed' optical lense and dust wouldn't be an issue. It's certainly not in a dirty environment.

So...

1 - Does this sound like dust somewhere in the optical path?

2 - Any idea if this is a common issue?

3 - Any easy fix or should I just go through the warranty?

Thanks for the help...

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Boulanger
Bump!
Pardon my naivete; I've seen this before (Bump), and forgot the meaning ... Care to remind me of what this means again?

·
Registered
28,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miked510
Pardon my naivete; I've seen this before (Bump), and forgot the meaning ... Care to remind me of what this means again?
It means that he is posting a simple reply for the specific purpose of bringing the thread back to the front page so that people who may have missed it the first time will see it again.

Anyway, Mike_Boulanger, I don't have any answer for you either. I haven't had a problem like that on my 240. NEC has a great servicing plan, so I would call them again and see if they can fix it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
yes, most possibly, that is dust. I had one exactly like what you described. My pj is the infocus x1. I opened up the x1 and found dust everywhere and also the dmd chip! I cleaned it with dust off spray and vaccuum. Now it is super clean!

·
Registered
28,350 Posts
The problem with the dust theory is that the 240 has a sealed optical path. Even if you wanted to clean it out with spray and a vacuum, you couldn't.

This is going to be a servicing issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.