AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved my TV into my new apt. It was in storage, and then I moved it three hours down I95 to my new apt. When I plugged it in , the colors are off, there seems to be discoloration around the edges. Any advice? Is the geometry screwed up. I was about to sell my TV b/c my studio apt is way to small for it. Its a 30 inch samsung TXP . Any advice would be greatly apreciated

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you tried degaussing it? Messed up colors are a pretty common problem, after a set has been moved around. Most of the newer sets have a built in degausser, but sometimes, it isn't enough. You need something a little more powerful. They used to be pretty cheap, as they are nothing more than a large electromagnet. I knew a guy that used to use a large soldering gun to degauss his set.

Also, make sure you don't have anything in close proximity to the set that uses electromagnetic fields, such as unshielded speakers.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The set should degauss itself every time it turns on. If that is not enough, you may need to degauss it with something more powerful. You can use a degaussing coil or anything else you can create a powerful, diminishing magenetic field with. If you don't feel up to it yourself, a technician can do it. If that doesn't work you may be to have it aligned by a technician. The earth's magnetic field varies, sometimes significantly, from place to place. A significant, localized variation is called an anomaly. The sets have to be adjusted for the environment in which they operate to operate optimally. The manufacturers adjust the sets at the factory for an average for the market (like North America, or Europe) that works well enough most of the time. Sometimes that is not good enough. FWIW, back in the early days of color TV, it was standard practice for the set to be aligned after it was installed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just to let you all know. $85 later, the TV has been degaussed and works perfectly

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprover
just to let you all know. $85 later, the TV has been degaussed and works perfectly
When it was in storage on in the truck was it in close proximity to any large speakers? If so, the magnets would have caused the discoloration. It happened to a friend of mine when the movers put his speakers next to his TV in the moving van.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.