AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do a pretty extensive overhaul of our converted attic space. Due to the layout my L/R surrounds are off the walls. Currently I have them hanging from the ceiling at ear level. This was due to some rowdy puppies that would have knocked over any speakers. The dogs aren't puppies anymore and we have never really been happy with the suspended speakers so I want to put the speakers on stands.

My question is what is the best way to connect the speakers to the new under the floor wiring? I'm good with running the speaker wire. I could just run the speaker wire long enough to make the connection all the way from the amp to the speaker terminals. The speakers may need to be moved on occasion so I would like to have some sort of junction in the floor that the speaker would connect to. The floor will be carpeted and would like the junction as subtle as possible. I have some DIY solutions in mind but there is probably an easier way than what I am thinking. The stands will be DIY and I can make them to cover the junction. Are there commercial solutions for what I'm looking for? I'd like to avoid a typical speaker connection wall plate.

I hope that make sense.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm a fan of the SpeakON connectors, too. They are reliable and easy to use. I suppose audiophiles don't use them because they are too inexpensive, but Benchmark says they measure lower distortion using them than with common audiophile connectors.

The mating connectors come in right-angle versions, which may make the junction less noticeable when speakers are plugged in.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, this is why I posted. I like the pop up boxes and don't know why I didn't even think of the speakons. Both are great solutions.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I would use 1/4" phone jacks, which are smaller connectors than the above. Plug them with a small plastic plug when not in use. Easier to hide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts