AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post-soundbar budget setup:
Yamaha RX-V385, Klipsch RC42ii, 4xKlipsch R41Ms, Klipsch R12SW

Everything mounted on an old solid oak entertainment center, my available locations for speakers/subwoofer are extremely limited and most certainly less than optimal (see pics).
My 3.1 setup is as good as it's going to get (even w/the sub in the solid oak cabinet, works there better than expected, literally no other subwoofer location options), I'm pleased with the result.
I'd like to use the Yamaha's 'Virtual Cinema Front' with the front surround speakers for greater immersiveness (I don't expect nor particularly want true surround) but am uncertain as to where's best to place them, advice is conflicting.
My options are:
1) Above the tv on the receiver shelf (angled towards the sidewalls?)
2) Above the tv but on the entertainment center's side shelves appx 14' apart (again, angled towards the sidewalls?)
3) On the wall shelf above the entertainment center appx 9' up and 12' apart (angled down & towards the sidewalls?)

If I can't manage a satisfactory front surround setup, I'll scrap the idea and default to a 3.1 setup.
Thanks in advance!

Cabinetry Property Furniture Wood Shelving
Cabinetry Table Wood Window Shelving

·
Registered
54 Posts
Try them in each location. Ultimately, it's up to you to place them where they make the most-pleasing sound.

You're the only person in this thread who can hear them in each location, and you're the only person whose opinion really matters.

Personally, I'd ditch them and go 3.1. But this is your setup and you should do what works best for you in your viewing space.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Get the sub out of that cabinet.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Front height, try both where they are on the picture and on top of the cabinet. I have read about others with front based 3.1.2 setups that work fine. (Do not connect those speakers as “surround” those are supposed to be at the side or behind the listener)

Hopefully the sub works ok where it is now, i guess sealed sub so no port problems inside the extra “box”?

Edit: forgot to add. A sub working fine/ok where it needs to be is still much better than no sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Try it and see how it sounds in the various positions. I would probably not use them at all, but your taste is what matters, not mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try them in each location. Ultimately, it's up to you to place them where they make the most-pleasing sound.
You're the only person in this thread who can hear them in each location, and you're the only person whose opinion really matters.
Personally, I'd ditch them and go 3.1. But this is your setup and you should do what works best for you in your viewing space.
I will try them in each location if need be, I was hoping for suggestions that might reduce the amount of noob experimentation. Thx!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get the sub out of that cabinet.
Can't. As mentioned in my OP, there is literally no other place in the front room to place it (or I would). No room to the side of the entertainment center, rest of front room is filled with furniture that cannot be moved to make space for the sub.

·
Premium Member
13,756 Posts
Yamaha's "Virtual Cinema Front" is kind of a wacky setup:

I have no idea how well it works. It must use some delays and other "trickery" to make speakers in the front of the room "sound like" they are in the surround positions. It seems the intention is for the "Front Surrounds" to be placed at the same height as the mains, and inside them. If you can't get them to those positions, the effect may, (or may not), fall completely apart. Try it out and let us know how it works...

Craig

Edit: Crutchfield seemed to think it worked OK:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hah, I have almost the same exact entertainment center. But it's not in my theater. When I used to use it in a 5.1 setup, I had the center on the bridge above the TV, the L/R to the sides of each column, and my subs were built-in to my L/R towers. I didn't have height speakers obviously.

I think you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and wonder if the height speakers are worth the trouble. But I'd probably put them on top of each column. The L/R should be to the sides of the columns on stands. Put the center above the TV. I'd put the sub somewhere else in the room, maybe near the seating in the rear.

Circa 2001:

View attachment 3157432
Yeah, hence my 'trying to make the best of' thread title.
My entertainment center is very similar to yours but also has diagonal shelving units on each side leaving literally no room on either side for the sub or floor speakers.
I'd considered putting the center above the tv but then where to place the receiver?
It's barely possible to move the centerpiece over enough to fit the sub between the rightside cabinet & centerpiece, but then where to place the L/R speakers?
Agreed this is a 'square peg in a round hole' situation but WAF prevents getting rid of the entertainment center (which would simplify things immensely) so I'm trying to make the best of a bad positional situation.
If I can't get the height speakers to perform as well as I'd like then I'll revert to 3.1 .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try it and see how it sounds in the various positions. I would probably not use them at all, but your taste is what matters, not mine.
I have no problem sticking with 3.1 if that's the best I can do but I'd at least like to see how all options perform before giving up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yamaha's "Virtual Cinema Front" is kind of a wacky setup:

I have no idea how well it works. It must use some delays and other "trickery" to make speakers in the front of the room "sound like" they are in the surround positions. It seems the intention is for the "Front Surrounds" to be placed at the same height as the mains, and inside them. If you can't get them to those positions, the effect may, (or may not), fall completely apart. Try it out and let us know how it works...

Craig

Edit: Crutchfield seemed to think it worked OK:
Yeah, I've seen that diagram and it doesn't make acoustical sense to me (but then, lots of things don't make sense to me nowadays... ;)).
I can't place the L/R and surround speakers at the same height and next to each other unless I place them all on the top shelf above the tv. Toed-in and angled down towards the viewing area?
I have no space behind my viewing seats as required for traditional surround so would this even work w/o space behind the seats or would it be better (as I've read elsewhere) to aim the front surrounds towards the sidewalls to reflect sound towards the viewing area?
I don't mind experimenting with speaker location but I'd like to eliminate possibilities that others more knowledgeable than I would instantly drop from consideration.
Thx!...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another idea would be to wall mount the TV with one of those extending scissor mounts to keep it located where it is, ditch the cabinet under the center speaker and replace it with a larger ported sub, then rest the center on the new sub. For WAF you could get a downfiring sub, or commission a custom one, and have it wrapped in a vinyl that matches your entertainment unit. Or maybe make a frame and stretch some acoustically transparent black fabric across the entire speaker area.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would use the katana to chop the solid oak entertainment center into little pieces and then get rid of some of the stuff so that you have enough space for your setup and it will create more space in the room as well.

if you cannot get rid of it: then move the subwoofer out of there. Even in a different corner of the room it’d probably sound better

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Another idea would be to wall mount the TV with one of those extending scissor mounts to keep it located where it is, ditch the cabinet under the center speaker and replace it with a larger ported sub, then rest the center on the new sub.
I was literally about to suggest this exact thing with the exception of a new sub.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would use the katana to chop the solid oak entertainment center into little pieces and then get rid of some of the stuff so that you have enough space for your setup and it will create more space in the room as well.

if you cannot get rid of it: then move the subwoofer out of there. Even in a different corner of the room it’d probably sound better
It's not a katana, it's a ningato. ;)
If I could ditch the entertainment center, I would (WAF prevents).
I appreciate all the constructive input to date (thanks!) but to those who keep harping on the 'move the sub! move the sub!', what part of 'I literally have no other place to put it' are you having difficulty with???
Here are pics of my front room:
Brown Plant Table Furniture Property
Brown Plant Table Furniture Property
Brown Property Table Furniture Couch

1 - 20 of 54 Posts