AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Atlantic Technology's System 270 THX Select speakers (150W RMS), and my only real concern is home theater.. I'm only concerned with movies. I'm thinking of getting a Lexicon MC-1, and I'm struggling on what amp to get. I want a good clean amp, that has the appropriate amount of power for my setup. What would you recommend?

Adam

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have heard of the speakers and read that they are nice, but never known anyone that had them, but am very familiar with Lexicon, and my theory is more that you are always better off putting more quality and power in the front in like a good 3 channel and then a lessor, often lower powered 2 chanel or 4 depending on your room in the back. I also used my front for my main music which does give more benefit, but even I was just HT, I still think you are better off doing that way because most of the soundstage and power usage is there.

I can't talk about matching because of the not hearing the speakers, but I just went to the Krell 3250 3 channel by 250wpc and I have never heard a more detailed amp on music, and more extension and detail on movies, so that is a really , really powerful and detailed amp with endless current. The amp that came in 2nd to me was the Theta Dreadnaught 2, and it is modular where you can put 225 by 3 on the front, and up to 4 other channels at 100wpc in the back, which would be in line iwth my theory, and allowyou to even do it in steps if you like adding the 2 to get to 7 channel down the road. I don't know your budget, so if these are too much, I was just talking from best of all, and not price conscious.

I wish I had heard your package because it used to get a really nice writeup in Stereofile back in 99 when it first came out.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
What kind of price range do you have in mind to spend on a amp?

As there is a wide range of prices, that are out there for such a thing.

BTW: You can and should go with a amp that has more power than the 150watts, the speakers are rated at.

As that is not a "gauge" for what power not to go above as far as amplifier power for the speakers.

And you can safely run them with 300 watts or even more, more so in fact, than you could with a just 100watts of amp power to them.

My advice, would be to look for a amp that is around at the least, in the 200 watt range for those speakers.

Because when it comes to speakers, having to little power can damage them easier than having to much can. And if you ever drive the lower powered amp to "clipping", it can damage the tweeters very easily. Where the higher powered amp more than likely, would not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price range I was looking at is a street price of about $2k plus or minus. I have been looking at the Sherbourn 7-2100.

Adam

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
In that price range with some "dealing" you have stuff like the Sherborn that you have mentioned. Outlaw, ATI, Sunfire and probably a few others also.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
What is the sensitivity of the speakers? If it is 90 dB or above most any 80 X 5 or higher amp will do fine, though as a general rule the more power the better. If you want to save some money you can get a very good H/K Signature 2.1 (100 X 5) for under $700 at harmanaudio.com with the full warranty. Or an Outlaw 750 (165 X 5) goes for $1,100 direct. I would not be too concerned about the speaker power ratings as they don't really tell you much. The speaker's sensitivity rating and its nominal impedance are what matters. Also, crossing over lower frequencies for all speakers at 80 Hz will greatly reduce your power requirements.

Dsmith

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by afenn
I have Atlantic Technology's System 270 THX Select speakers (150W RMS), and my only real concern is home theater.. I'm only concerned with movies. I'm thinking of getting a Lexicon MC-1, and I'm struggling on what amp to get. I want a good clean amp, that has the appropriate amount of power for my setup. What would you recommend?

Adam
I hate to state the obvious, but we do manufacturer an amazing 7 channel amplifier, the A2000 which is used in all our listening and speaker development tests. Check it out at: http://www.atlantictechnology.com/system_A-2000.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.