Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post here and I'm anxious to see if any fellow HTPCers can help me.

Here are the specs on the computer:

Windows XP, PIII 500 mhz processor, 384 mb ram, nvidia riva tnt video card, cinemaster 3.0 DVD player software (located here: http://www.cifelli.com/support/c3.x/...0Installer.zip ).

I need to use that particular software because it's the only one that will work with the DVD TV-out card I have. It's a Dell computer. The problem I'm about to explain does not occur on other DVD players I've tried. I can use the Media player that came with XP, but it has other problems that I won't get into here. I tried the demo for win dvd and it also worked, but again, I can't use it with the TV out card.

OK, my problem is this (and if anyone has a program that will allow me to capture what's happening on screen, lmk): Every few seconds, regardless of what DVD I'm playing, there is a sort of judder (not sure if this is correct terminology). Edges will go jagged for about a second and then go back to normal. It looks as if the picture is shaken up and down for a brief instant, or being zapped for a brief instant. It's harder to notice in high motion scenes, but very visible if you're looking at something static like a menu.

I don't think I've always had this problem, but maybe I wasn't being observant and just never noticed it before.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It could be the DVD players software, or a driver issue. You could try running a test over at PCPitstop ( www.pcpitstop.com ). It should point out any problems with the system. Make sure DMA is enabled on all your drives, there aren't any unnecessary programs running in the background, turn off all the eye candy that XP has etc.

Other things to try are upgrade to SP1, and download the latest detonator drivers from www.nvidia.com

Chances are theres an incompatibility with the software...too bad you can't find something else that'll work.

Not sure if these will work, but you never know: http://www.fwnetwork.com/description/fsdvdplayer.html

http://www.maximusdvd.com/

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Canuck,

Thank you for the reply. I also wrote to the current distributor of the card and haven't heard back yet.

I tried updating the nvidia drivers a few months ago and got the same results today -- the problem is made worse. This "shimmering" effect (as it might be described) remains, and when I use this software full screen, I get white horizontal bands across the screen like bad tracking on a vcr tape.

I can get any other software player to work fine on my computer. It's just this one has the problems. DMA is enabled (actually doing that solved another problem I used to have).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a similar sounding problem after first building my HTPC. I used an ASUS mobo and had the BIOS monitoring agent turned on (I forget the actual name of this). Anyway, it was set to update every 15 seconds and when watching a DVD, I would get a sort of shudder every 15 seconds.

Turning off the monitoring solved the problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I conducted some refresh rate experiments today and got some results.

They were not necessarily good results. On my monitor for the DVD player to work I can choose 60, 70, 72, 75 and 85 hz. I switched off 60hz to 70 first and immediately my problem went away, however it was replaced with a more subtle version of itself. Instead of a terrific picture with a judder/shimmer every 5 seconds or so, I get a picture that just very slightly flickers constantly in high motion scenes. No matter what setting I chose some remnant of the problem remained. I think I am going to just give up and try one of those Hollywood Plus cards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.