Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been a LONG time lurker, and wanted to thank everyone for the information and input you provide.

Because of you, I know have D* coming out to my house next Friday to upgrade me to HD for that incredible 99.00 deal. Can't beat that.

Anyway, my problem is that I only have a regular TV (32 inch jvc 6 years old), and it doesn't even have component inputs.

Now I need the hdtv. I just went to Comp usa tonite and purchased the daewoo dp42sm plasma. Its in Sundays sales add for less than 2 grand, and for once, you don't even have to mail in any rebates to get that price.

Here the deal though - there are NO returns on the item because of the super bowl. They will only replace a defective one with a new one, but not let you return it if for example I am not happy with it.

A plasma for under 2 grand is unheard of, but I am leary of paying that much for something I will not be happy with.

I have not picked it up yet, so I can still get a refund - in fact, I can get a refund up to the point where I open the box. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Should I pick it up and be happy with my great deal, or simply get a refund?

Your advice is appreciated. Help me keep from making the wrong decision.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Can you afford it?

Do you want something else...... something that costs alot more money?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I would be willing to pay more, but $2500 is about my cutoff point. Really can't afford much more than that now.

My choices are this:

* Pick up the Daewoo tomorrow at the great price of 2gs

* Return the Daewoo, and get another tv (in fact, I have looked at non plasmas like the Zenith C32v27 which I also like)

* Or return the Daewoo and do nothing

Will the daewoo be a good way for me to enter in the hd world, or do you think I will be disappointed?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkelling

Will the daewoo be a good way for me to enter in the hd world, or do you think I will be disappointed?
FYI the Daewoo DP42sm is a ED Display not a HD.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I assume you have looked at the Daewoo w/HD material at the store, and liked what you saw. And the price is at least $1,000 less than, say, a 42" Panasonic (if you could even find one.)

I have seen the Daewoo on display next to Pioneer and Philips sets which cost a LOT more. There are subtle differences among them, but certainly not $1000 worth of difference. And, BTW, an HD signal should look a lot better, even on an ED set, than with your present TV.

So, if you have found a set you like at a great price, what's the problem? My guess is that you will be well satisfied.

And, if in fact you just hate it, I strongly suspect CompUSA would allow you to exchange it for a more expensive model. Their temporary no-return policy is probably intended to prevent people from buying a TV, watching the game on it, and then asking for a refund the next day.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here is the strategy that goes through my mind when selecting products. Plasmas are a lot like cars, do you want a car to get you from A to B or do you want a car to get you from A to B with reliability, style, comfort, etc.

Just because a company can make a plasma doesn't mean that they should. Daewoo is not known for quality, I'm sorry. You are investing your hard earned money into the absolute cheapest plasma you can find. That is fine for say bread, beer, clothing, shoes, etc... because there we are talking about very low levels of relative investment. Would you buy the absolute cheapest car you could - may I suggest the Geo Metro, any Daewoo, etc... The old addage of "you get what you pay for" is true in many situations including this one. If you are satisfied with the picture on various sources then fine, but don't convince yourseld to purchase one of the absolute cheapest panels just because it is. Maybe you can't afford a plasma right now, it would be better for you to save up to get a panasonic (and by the time they have them back in stock, you should be able to - ha ha ha). If $2500 is your absolute ceiling, then plasma is not for you. The Panasonice rear LCD has many many satisfied customers and will get you into the world of HD.

Just my 2 cents

best of luck

·
23,039 Posts
Jeff,

Prof Dave says it well. With your budget, and if you have the room,

I would be looking at CRT RPTVs. There are some brands/models

that will offer excellent PQ and bigger screen. Much bigger bang

for the buck than the Daewoo. And if you can handle a smaller

screen, the 34" Sony XBR Widescreen directview CRT is an option

also.

If you've been a long time lurker, I'm sure you've noticed absence

of discussion on Daewoo plasmas.

As always, in the end, it's your eyes and your money.

larry

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have to agree with the professor. Sounds like RPTV is what you should look at. A RPTV for $2000 will have a great HD picture. Will look much better than that Daewoo. In fact a finely tuned RPTV will look better than most plasmas in general

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
If it is going to hurt me so much to buy the plasma and cause a lot of anquish, I would hold off, read and study some more, wait for the price to drop a bit, and be happy in knowing that I'm going to make a better decision. These loss-leader plasmas (usually ED not HD) are priced way cheap to snag the unwary fence sitters who think they "have to act fast" or that "deal" will slip away. Probably not the best circumstances to let go of hard earned money.

These TV's are supposed to be fun. If it isn't going to be fun then why get one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the input.

Especially Paul. You are right, this is supposed to be fun. My wife and I have wanted a plasma for a long time, but the price has been out of our reach. The price (and my budget) is finally within my reach, and CompUSA has made it no fun for me by not standing behind their product:(. I understand that this is Superbowl time, and they don't want a whole bunch of people buying expensive TVs only to return them after the superbowl. In my case, this is not my intent. I want to improve my home entertainment system for my wife and I.

Pooper and lifo, also thanks for the suggestion to rptv. Unfortunately, that is not for me. For 2 reasons. First, the TV has to fit in a location, and unfortunately, RPTVs won't fit in my existing location (its either a tube or plasma). I would really only consider RPTV if I had the room, and if this was not my family room with big huge windows and lighting that does not favor RPTVs.

Finally, it may help to also explain our viewing habits. About 95% of our viewing is from DTivo. The rest is watching DVDs. The new DirecTV HD equipment gets installed next week, and I am not sure how that will effect my viewing habits. There is a certain allure to recording something then being able to watch it in the original quality and fast forward through the commercials. I even do that when watching the Mavs BB games (I start watching about 30 mins after the game starts so I can ff through commercials). Now when HD comes, I will probably end up witching them real time so I can see them on HDNet or our local channel 21 that often broadcasts them in HD thanks to Cuban.

And although I may be a new poster, I am pretty educated in this since I have been following these forums, the tivocommunity forums and a lot more for a couple of years. Gx35, I have read all the threads discussing HD output on an ED screen and that a lot of people cannot see the difference until you get up close to the screen (much closer than the viewing distance).

I appreciate all your input. And steuert, you are correct, if I do not like it, they will let me exchange it for a more expensive model.

If you all have any more input based upon what I just said, I would appreciate it. I will probably pick up the daewoo today, and not open the box until I have had more input from you and as well have had more time to do more investigating to see if the daewoo's quality will meet my needs.

To all, I am not a videophile. I am really more of a gadget guy. I love gadgets. I get a kick out of my Tivo, my pocket pc, my home built computer with my pvr250 card, my upcoming HD, etc.

I am not sure I have to have the best picture out there. I realize that a $4000 plasma will have a better picture. I guess the real question is, will I be happy with the PQ of the daewoo? Will I get it home and say, wow this looks great, especially for 2gs, or will I get it home and say geez, this doesn't really look much better than my old jvc tv?

The other thing i worry about with ANY plasma is my viewing habits. Because a lot of my what I watch currently comes off the tivo, it is in 4x3 format. I am not sure how I feel about stretching the 4x3, but I don't mind the gray bars at both sides. Will I have burn in issues with that?

Thanks again guys for all your input.

Jeff

·
23,039 Posts
Good luck, Jeff. SD from DTivo on the Daewoo may not be all that great, depends on which channel.

However, HD will make the Daewoo look as good as it possibly can.

My viewing habits changed after I got my plasma. I watch mostly

HD and DVDs with occassional SD when there is something I really

want to see. Some of the SD channels do look decent.

larry

·
Registered
864 Posts
After living in Seoul for 31 months I'd say forgettabouttait.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm currently shopping around for a plasma too, and even though I'm in Toronto, we're caught up in the Superbowl frenzy (Toronto has been quietly lobbying for an NFL team for years... but we'll never get one).

I've been waiting for a plasma years, so I'm willing to wait another week or so until the salesguys know that I'm not (a) impulse buying because of the SB and (b) not going to pull the "uh, don't want it anymore" trick after the SB. Either way, I expect BETTER deals and a better negotiating position after the (insert favourite team here) crush the life out of the (insert not favourite team here). Heck, I bet most stores are stocking plasmas / LCDs / RPTVs / etc. like nuts right now in anticipation of the SB rush, after which they'll have plenty-o-overstock to dump (unless their inventory manager is extremely good at guessing their anticipated sales or they have a very responsive supply chain). Also, after the SB their "no returns" policy should disappear.

During my initial chats with salesguys in mid-December, one salesman (refering to a set of Mission speakers) said, you had better buy now, because you won't have as good a deal as this after Christmas. Baloney. The best deals are always after Christmas! I hate it when salesmen try this stuff, and haven't been back to that store since.

Jeff, I feel your angst, but the prices will continue to come down, and the quality you can get for your 2k trigger point will only get better. I understand that looking at the business end of an HDTV component cable without a display to stick it in to for a week will be very unpleasant (I've been using my studfinder to trace out the position of my wall studs to submillimeter precision, and I haven't even ordered the plasma yet, let alone the wall mount!).

Ross in Toronto

Go Argos! (Toronto's CFL football team -- never made the Superbowl, probably because they're not in the NFL).

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Jeff,

IMHO, I honestly do not think you will be happy with the Daewoo. Kind of the Yugo of plasma, if you get my drift. Want a nice set with very good PQ and you can get Bev, right? FWIW, I would seriously consider an LCD or CRT RPTV. Don't spend as much on a plasma but on a unit that you can part with in a few years (maybe 2 to 3). At that time I believe you will be blown away with the offerings at that time. You will get a lot of mileage out of a non-plasma display.

With that said, we did get a plasma, but we can afford it and will move it to the bedroom when the time (2 -3 years) is right for a 50 or even 60" HD set.

As always, just my .02.

Good luck in your endeavors and keep us posted as to what you and the misses decide on.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
jkelling,

The Professor has stated the obvious better than I, but just for my curiosity, why do you think this is such a good deal? You say you read these Forums, but where do they say buy a Yugo Plasma for the same price as a Mercedes CRT? Good luck.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello Jeff,

You're welcome!

As others have stated, the Daewoo is inexpensive (for a plasma) these days but not really in the class of better plasma sets. It's only a matter of time before good quality will become available at that ($2000) price. If it were me, and spending more than $2000 was going to hurt, I'd put the money aside, wait and/or maybe add a bit more money to the "plasma fund". It's kind of easy to get caught up in the fervor of these forums and make quick decisions.

Plasmas aren't going away. They're only going to get better and less expensive. When you see a plasma set that fits the budget and has the quality to better "old relaiable", you'll know it.

I have one unsolicited suggestion if you're really ready for a change, won't wait, and if a heavy CRT is a possibility. I've taken a look at the new Sony "Super-Fine pitch" 16:9 CRT sets. These TV's have a fine, fine picture. The models are: KV-34XBR910 and KV-30XBR910 and are labled "Super Fine" on the lower front panel door. These sets (the KV-30, especially) should fit close to your budget and you'd have a TV that in some respects will better any plasma. The super-fine pitch of the phosphors makes for a very, very smooth, dense and natural looking picture. It's not fixed pixel so there are some drawbacks inherent to CRTs (convergence and, perhaps, focus) but the Sony, to me, does very well with these drawbacks.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting thread. As a long time lurker myself I've come to expect more from this crowd. The poster that compared the set in store to pioneer/pany (I think) stated it looked ok, not quite as good. The overwelming majority of negative posters seem to want to editorialize about the manufacturer or offer general wisdom in the way of car analogies.

I'll take a look in my local store to see if they stock this one but expect to find only HD running. If not I'll try to view with DVD. It would be nice to hear from more people who have some viewing time with this set. If previous posters are basing the negative opinions on viewing time please repost stating what you saw. Thanks for that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.