AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together my first home system in 15 years. Let's just say things have changed a little from 2 Channel audio and a set of Bose 4.2 bookshelves. My brother in law has the Bose 3-2-1. That thing will never make it through my front door.

TV- Samsung LN52A650 thanks to all the great info here

Speakers - Energy Take Classic 5.1. I know they're small for my 19X21 living room... You're welcome to talk to "the boss."

Receiver - ???? HELP!

Wants:

1. $400-600

2. 3 HDMI's for computer, Satellite, and Bluray

3. auto room calibration setup

4. onscreen display feature. None of the A/V equipment will be in the living room. It will all be in the office and I plan to run it remotely with this
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...0913901&sr=8-1 and the RF wireless mouse/keyboard.

5. XM ready would be a plus but no deal breaker. She who must be obeyed has and XM for that car we'd like to plug in.

6. Ipod dock and ability to control it onscreen through the receiver would be a plus.

7. All the latest audio formats and 7.1 would be a plus.

8. I'm not loyal to any brand.

We listen to music output from the computer or IPOD and movies about 50/50. What's the best receiver with these features in this price range? What useful info have I left out? If I'm way off base with any of this stuff please let me know and thanks for spending my money

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blowing away a Bose doesn't seem to be the problem!

Learning the new terms and features is something else entirely. It's still tough to compare receivers at my level of understanding. Thanks to the forum that's changing pretty rapidly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's too bad you weren't looking last weekthe Onkyo 705 was at Amazon for $449.97 (I grabbed one); now they're over $600 (more than the 706) and sold by a third party. A few weeks ago, the 706 was there for around $488, but that went away quickly; it's back up to $549.95.

Quote:
All the latest audio formats and 7.1 would be a plus.

I assume you plan on adding a couple of Energy speakers? I have the old "Take 5.2" system, and in order to a a sixth speaker for 6.1, I found an "Act 1" locally and mounted it on a ceiling joist.

I'm not sure if the 606 will matrix a 5.1 PCM signal to 7.1; I know the 605 wouldn't, but other members here could answer that question. The 706 will do that for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_wassell /forum/post/15439153

I second the Onkyo. Did you get the Energy sub - consider buying two or look into the entry level SVS subs.

Thanks for the second on the Onkyo, I'll definitely look into it and the Pioneer. I'll consider the second sub given the large room once I see how it all sounds hooked up.

Any other receivers that should be on my short list?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. P. Lovecraft /forum/post/15439387

It's too bad you weren't looking last week—the Onkyo 705 was at Amazon for $449.97 (I grabbed one)

I assume you plan on adding a couple of Energy speakers?

Thanks for the heads up. I'm willing to wait to buy until I find a great deal.

Down the road two more speakers are in my future but I just need to get the current one through the front door first and let my wife adjust.

At the retailer where I listened to the speakers they were pushing the Yamaha RX-V863. Any thoughts on that one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.