AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have an infocus x9

it's a 720p, dlp, rather bright projector

i have two windows in the room, with curtains, some ambient light, but not too much

looking for about a 130" 16:9 image: is that too big for 720p?

i'll be able to sit as far back as need be, room is long

i'm thinking about building a fixed screen myself. i looked at the price of per-foot da-lite fabric on projectorpeople, but it's pretty expensive.

should i go for a white or grey surface? projector is bright, but it's a pretty big image

can i get the da-lite fabric cheaper? is there a cheaper fabric i could consider? because of the size of the screen, i don't think i can just walk into a fabric store

ideally i don't want to spend more than $200 making the screen, but i'd make an exception if its worth it.

the matt white da lite fabric would cost me $300. is that really worth it?

making the frame seems doable enough. just get some poplar 1x4, cut to size, saw edges to 45degrees, use l brackets, staple screen tight on it, and edge with black velveteen fabric right?

really appreciate all the help. if you could help me select a decently priced fabric that would fit this situation, it would really help me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if it would save me a lot, i might be willing to have a smaller screen; but i think for standard rolls in a fabric store, 100" is about max size, yes? i'd like to do 120" if possible. maybe i should just bite the bullet and get the da-lite matt white??? or is the draper stuff better?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
or maybe i should just paint the wall. damn, can't believe i didn't think of that. would be a lot easier. what do you think? cloth vs paint? the wall is pretty flat, not too bumpy, but would need a little smoothing

would be nice since i'd be able to paint over it if it doesn't come out quite right, instead of a screen i'm stuck with

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
If you look up at the top of the screen forum, there is a sub forum for DIY screens, check that out, lots of info there.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzibear /forum/post/18262469

i'm thinking about building a fixed screen myself. i looked at the price of per-foot da-lite fabric on projectorpeople, but it's pretty expensive.

should i go for a white or grey surface? projector is bright, but it's a pretty big image

can i get the da-lite fabric cheaper? is there a cheaper fabric i could consider? because of the size of the screen, i don't think i can just walk into a fabric store

Have you talked to the folks at the AVS store? I'm considering purchasing the Da-Lite Cinema Vision material to build my own 100" screen and they seem to be cheaper than most.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts