AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a very compact MTM center speaker. I'd like it to have a very natural, un-boxy sound. My receiver has several low-pass Xover settings for the center speaker, so the speaker's bass response can roll-off as high as 120 Hz if necessary, although I was thinking more like 100 Hz. I'd like to keep the total cost of the drivers under $100. There is a design on Partsexpress website that uses two 4" Audax mid/woof's (Lytle Five Points) , but the Audax tweeter has been discontinued. I'd like the speaker to be "easy" to drive with an 8 ohm amplifer and I'd like the crossover to be as simple as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Look at the P.E. "Triune" as a center. It might fit your requirements and is not very hard to build. And, comes in just a little under your price range.

Frank

·
Registered
475 Posts
My first impression is that your box size reqirement is too small for an effective center channel. You are limited to what...3.5" drivers? If you can fit 4" drivers you can have some semblance of center performance. I found, at one time, some Vifa 4" drivers with an Fs of 73 Hz that I am using in my dipole surrounds. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-145 These Audax drivers should do a pretty good job for you, and you can find a variety of tweeters to use along with these for a M-T-M configuration. Work with Speaker Workshop in designing the crossover. Connect the woofers in series, and start by looking at 2nd order Bessel crossovers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.