AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finishing our basement and I want to select 5.1 home theater speakers with a budget of about $800-$1000. Due to layout of the room (no wall on the left and open stairs behind), I think I will have to use in-ceiling surrounds.

I visited a local store (BB) today and was recommended Mirage Omnisat v2 for LCR and SpeakerCraft CRS6 ONE for in-ceiling surrounds. And Mirage OMNI-S8 for subwoofer.

We will mostly use it as home theater and occasionally for music.

How well do the surrounds need to match with front and center speakers? I know in general in-ceiling speakers are not recommended here in this forum but do I have a choice given my room layout?

I would appreciate other recommended combinations in my above stated budget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump...

I need to make my decision fast specially about in-ceiling speakers as we are about to put the ceiling in the basement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I installed a 7.1 Speakercraft AIM7 three sytem with a AIM LCR three for the center. I did build back boxes for them and I would recomend finding away to get the center channel near the tv either just above or below. Just finshed watching the Super Bowl and it really seems like your in the middle of the stands. If you go the e-bay route you can stay within your budget. Search this site for info on layout and back boxes.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
You do realize for 5.1, that the surrounds go to the left/right of you, not behind as in 7.1. Anyway, not a big fan of flat ceiling surrounds as you will not be enveloped in the sound as intended by the engineers. There is no reason you can't ceiling mount regular surrounds with appropriate ceiling brackets as many of us do for a proper setup and great results. In fact, it is best if you surrounds are 2-6ft above your ears anyway, at least with bi, di, or quadpolar surround speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts