AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,. Super noob here trying to get some things in order to start my build. I need my build to be 6 to 8 bays and I have a budget of 1500 to 2000 excluding HDD.
IM wanting this to direct play to my theater as well as handle up to 4 streams worth of transcoding for Plex. This will be 1:1 Blu-ray rips and some possible 4k Rips as well.

Would like a case that could be rack mountable. Also like the idea of having a backup to my blurays and 4k content. This will not be used for anything else. Just media streaming. Will add Netflix and other streaming apps to achieve Dolby Atmos when available. I can build this no problem just have no technical know how to load all software and configure. Any help will be appreciated very much. Links to components please. I'm not looking for the highest priced items but highest performance for the buck. Thanks guys. This site has been a huge help so far

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Jaflores,

Thinking of this thread; when I saw this You Tube feature on how to build an economical Plex Media server

Hope this link works and helps you out

·
Registered
796 Posts
Still pretty hard to find a better deal... $189!!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-24-Bay-Chassis-SAS846TQ-Server-AMD-QC-1-80GHz-16GB-8x-2GB-H8DME-2/152924687293?epid=1403640796&hash=item239b058bbd:g:KjcAAOSw3q5aVQYB

Great people to work with... You will have no issues.

If you are interested... Here is a thread a started a while back on how to make these units very quiet.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1412640-you-looking-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative-83.html#/topics/1412640

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I had that budget and those requirements, here's what I would do:

I chose that CPU for the combination of performance vs. power draw. I've learned over the years that for a server, always watch your power draw. This thing is going to be running 24/7 and (in a home environment) you don't want or need a processor that pulls 125 or 160 watts TDP like some Xeons or AMD products do. The 1260L v5 draws only 35 watts TDP and has 10,000 Passmark score, which will allow it to run around 5 concurrent transcoded 1080p Plex streams, or about 1 (maybe 2) transcoded 4k Plex streams. The 16Gb RAM is honestly overkill as Plex will run just fine on 8Gb, but it doesn't hurt to have 16 to play with for future use. Again with the power concerns, you want a 80+ Gold PSU as you don't want to spend all this money on a L-series Xeon and then waste power with a non-certified or a Bronze certified PSU.

I put ebay links just out of convience to me. I'm sure there are better deals out there or brand new parts from places like Newegg that you could get as well depending on your preference.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
If I had that budget and those requirements, here's what I would do:

I chose that CPU for the combination of performance vs. power draw. I've learned over the years that for a server, always watch your power draw. This thing is going to be running 24/7 and (in a home environment) you don't want or need a processor that pulls 125 or 160 watts TDP like some Xeons or AMD products do. The 1260L v5 draws only 35 watts TDP and has 10,000 Passmark score, which will allow it to run around 5 concurrent transcoded 1080p Plex streams, or about 1 (maybe 2) transcoded 4k Plex streams. The 16Gb RAM is honestly overkill as Plex will run just fine on 8Gb, but it doesn't hurt to have 16 to play with for future use. Again with the power concerns, you want a 80+ Gold PSU as you don't want to spend all this money on a L-series Xeon and then waste power with a non-certified or a Bronze certified PSU.

I put ebay links just out of convience to me. I'm sure there are better deals out there or brand new parts from places like Newegg that you could get as well depending on your preference.
I'd consider going with a Ryzen for a server. A 1500 or 1700 is pretty cheap for the performance. There are plenty of cores to throw at transcoding. The only issue with the Ryzen on unRAID is with GPU passthrough in a VM, which is more of a KVM issue.

The RAM suggestion is pretty much overkill for a media server unless the OP wants to run virtual machines. Trim it down to 8GB until the prices drop and spend the saved money on storage devices (on sale at Best Buy this week for $159 for 8TB WD Reds).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd consider going with a Ryzen for a server. A 1500 or 1700 is pretty cheap for the performance. There are plenty of cores to throw at transcoding. The only issue with the Ryzen on unRAID is with GPU passthrough in a VM, which is more of a KVM issue.
Some people like to mess around with Ryzen on unRaid.... I'm not one of those people. Between the VM issues and the requirement to shut off all C1E/C6/power saving states in the BIOS to stop it from crashing (not to mention the other misc. errors people are seeing) it doesn't seem like Ryzen and unRaid are a good pairing at the moment. Maybe in the future it will become more supported but there's no beating the tried and true processors from Intel for stability & compatibility, plus the added bonus of power efficiency (Ryzen chips have TDPs of 65w - much better than their old AMD FX chips but still double the heat compared to a low powered Xeon).

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Some people like to mess around with Ryzen on unRaid.... I'm not one of those people. Between the VM issues and the requirement to shut off all C1E/C6/power saving states in the BIOS to stop it from crashing (not to mention the other misc. errors people are seeing) it doesn't seem like Ryzen and unRaid are a good pairing at the moment. Maybe in the future it will become more supported but there's no beating the tried and true processors from Intel for stability & compatibility, plus the added bonus of power efficiency (Ryzen chips have TDPs of 65w - much better than their old AMD FX chips but still double the heat compared to a low powered Xeon).
I'm pretty sure the C states issue has been resolved for quite some time. You had to simply use a beta at first, but now that is in the main release.

Intel is having their own issues right now with patching their bug.

It's just an option instead of thinking Intel is all that's available. My Ryzen server had no issues.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I chose that CPU for the combination of performance vs. power draw. I've learned over the years that for a server, always watch your power draw. This thing is going to be running 24/7 and (in a home environment) you don't want or need a processor that pulls 125 or 160 watts TDP like some Xeons or AMD products do
There are no useful correlations between 24/7 power consumption and TDP. This is a red herring for unexperienced DIY system builders

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are no useful correlations between 24/7 power consumption and TDP. This is a red herring for unexperienced DIY system builders
This is just a AV forum where I'm trying to help someone build a NAS and was never intended to debate the power consumption of a CPU. All I can is that my previous build was using an AMD FX8350 and when Plex was transcoding at full load my watt meter was showing 200 watts draw from the server. Now that I've built a new system with an i5-3470T, the same transcoding load is showing 100 watts draw. My Plex server is transcoding often based on the number of users connected so even though this isn't a 24/7 draw rating as there will be times where the system idles down, I estimate I'm saving 1200Wh per day or about 37kWh per month. Again, no debate, just reporting results. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
This is just a AV forum where I'm trying to help someone build a NAS and was never intended to debate the power consumption of a CPU. All I can is that my previous build was using an AMD FX8350 and when Plex was transcoding at full load my watt meter was showing 200 watts draw from the server. Now that I've built a new system with an i5-3470T, the same transcoding load is showing 100 watts draw. My Plex server is transcoding often based on the number of users connected so even though this isn't a 24/7 draw rating as there will be times where the system idles down, I estimate I'm saving 1200Wh per day or about 37kWh per month. Again, no debate, just reporting results. YMMV.
This is an AV Science forum. There is nothing to debate as this particular discussion deals with facts vs interpretation

Many interpret idle power draw from a computer as the rating on their PSU (this is incorrect). Others think it comes from pulling together the power consumption of all of their components, and this can be correct when everything is running full load. Most often this is not the case

More to the point - an i5-3470t vs an i5-3570k would have made absolutely zero difference in your power consumption (this is fact). The only perceived difference you could measure (kill-a-watt meter at the wall) would not be accurate at any single point in time but instead needs to be totaled over the amount of time it took the slowest setup to complete a given task. The higher TDP CPU will end up drawing more power at full load (fact) but it will race to complete whatever task is calling for it to be at full load faster than the lower TDP CPU then return to idle. The 3470t and 3570k require the same power consumption at idle, and the higher TDP will return to idle much quicker given a high-CPU task. In fact the i3/5/7 of the same generation (i.e. sandy, ivy, haswell, etc) will require the same power draw at idle, so limiting which CPU you choose to save on power consumption is - again - a red herring. This will only serve to put a ceiling on how much your server *can* do. It will not transcode more *efficiently* because you choose a low-power T or S variant of CPU. It will only limit how many transcodes you can achieve at one time, all the time spent at idle (most of a server's life) will end up using the same power given the same motherboard and CPU generation

There are certainly reasons to choose the low TDP CPU options, but those reasons are cost and heat. However, if you are building a server in any normal server case, heat should not be a consideration

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the reply Dark_Slayer. I agree with what you're saying here but if you're thinking I'm confusing idle power draw with TDP you're mistaken. I'm building servers with power efficiency in mind, which is a combination of performance/watts. Many people assume TDP is a direct measurement of the CPU's power draw and I'm not one of them. My previous posts were quickly written because I was only trying to suggest a NAS option for the OP but I can explain further if it helps.

The fact of the matter is that even though a more powerful processor may finish a job quicker and get back to idle quicker, it's still using more energy to accomplish the same task compared to a more efficient processor. TDP is one half of the equation, the other is the amount of work the chip can do. Going back to my original post regarding the Xeon 1260L, I recommended that chip due to it's very high power efficiency. It has a passmark score of 10,067 and a TDP of 45w, for a power performance rating of 223 which is outstanding for a server CPU.That's nearing the efficiency of a laptop processor and even some Atom processors. In comparison to some of the other chips mentioned in this thread:

i5-3470T: 4516 / 35w = 129
i5-3570K: 7164 / 77w = 93
FX8350: 8948 / 125w = 71

My choice to go with a 3470T over a 3570K means that my server is able to achieve 38% more work per watt drawn. Measuring the total wattage drawn from the outlet, identical machines with identical components running the identical full-load task would see the 3570 complete the task faster and with more waste in the process.

The thing to keep in mind is if the processor has the capability to run the tasks you ask it to do in the time you require and, in my case, the 3470 does meet my performance needs. I know it's not going to be able to smoothly transcode a 4k stream and that's fine for my requirements for it. It's spec'd to my needs and hits a sweet spot of performance/watt while keeping up with my server's demands. The 8350 was able to run tasks in no time at all but it was about half as efficient at it compared to my new build. The excess performance of that chip was unneeded and wasting wattage every time it performed a task. If that's what you mean by 'the processor will not transcode more efficiently', then yes I agree with that, a more powerful processor will have more capability to do a task. But if you're saying it's not going to transcode more efficiently because of the power draw then that makes no sense.

So I guess in summary, I don't agree that there are cost savings buying a Intel S, T, or otherwise, low-power processor as the demand is usually higher for them on the used market, and yes they do make slightly less heat which is mainly moot in a server build, but the main reason to build a lean system that balances requirements with efficiency to ensure the least amount of waste.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
You can also save power drawn by not using chips that are five generations old.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
i5-3470T: 4516 / 35w = 129
i5-3570K: 7164 / 77w = 93
FX8350: 8948 / 125w = 71

My choice to go with a 3470T over a 3570K means that my server is able to achieve 38% more work per watt drawn. Measuring the total wattage drawn from the outlet, identical machines with identical components running the identical full-load task would see the 3570 complete the task faster and with more waste in the process.

But if you're saying it's not going to transcode more efficiently because of the power draw then that makes no sense.
You are still not comparing apples to apples. Basing your CPU efficiency from passmark scores is comparing what a cpu can do at theoretical max vs it's overall TDP and believing that you are going to scale that in a linear fashion for every single task a CPU will perform from 0W-TDP. It's not a bad basis to have, but in the end it does not show you what you are thinking is crystal clear. The result is a poorly weighted average showing that a 3570k is "wasting" power. There are countless options to compare with single core performance and sleep states of other cores, how often turbo kicks in, whether you need improved iGPU

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Ahh, externals... Don't they void the warranty if you take them out?
Maybe. Don't butcher the case (watch a video first) and I think it'll be two years. Use a credit card with extended warranty protection for more coverage.

I'd even say that you could argue that you needed to remove and destroy the failed drive to protect your data.

I've opened 10 of these exact drives. Nine Red and one white label Red. The sale usually ends by Sunday.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts