AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help deciding on a setup for my requirements. Looking to also build some pretty serious main speakers powered by 3 XTI2000 amps capable of 120db+. Space is prob the biggest problem. $2-3K budget. Love what I have now just want more of it JL 12w7 powered by Mackie 2500 watts.

I have space for 2 boxes flanking the center would like to keep them within 25"h 18-22"d 30"w

Does not need to have max spl at 10hz Prob 20hz high but really have no real ref or certain goal just max impact for movies. Not much info past 20hz?

Will be powered and EQed with either 2 Mackie 2500 (already have one), 2 XTI1000 or one XTI4000 (suggestions?)also the Audessey in my Integra 9.8.

Looking at 4 RL-p15's sealed, 2 RL-p18's sealed or Passive radiator, 2 ported 15"?????

What is going to be my best bang for the space?

Thanks for the help guys.

Nate

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 /forum/post/12989867

Need help deciding on a setup for my requirements. Looking to also build some pretty serious main speakers powered by 3 XTI2000 amps capable of 120db+. Space is prob the biggest problem. $2-3K budget. Love what I have now just want more of it JL 12w7 powered by Mackie 2500 watts.

I have space for 2 boxes flanking the center would like to keep them within 25"h 18-22"d 30"w

Does not need to have max spl at 10hz Prob 20hz high but really have no real ref or certain goal just max impact for movies. Not much info past 20hz?

Will be powered and EQed with either 2 Mackie 2500 (already have one), 2 XTI1000 or one XTI4000 (suggestions?)also the Audessey in my Integra 9.8.

Looking at 4 RL-p15's sealed, 2 RL-p18's sealed or Passive radiator, 2 ported 15"?????

What is going to be my best bang for the space?

Thanks for the help guys.

Nate

2x RL-P18s Sealed or with passive radiators might be a good idea.

What can you do on the 350 SBC in my 1976 Stingray? PM me if need be.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Hmm...with your enclosure limitations, I'd say two Rl-p 18" sealed. I'd probably pick up another Mackie to have one per driver. Then EQ the low end as you wish. Its too bad the $875 LMS-5400s aren't available anymore. A pair of those would suit you since your budget is large enough.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I dunno, a pair of CSS SDX15 with a pair of PR's each will do far better on the low end, about 6dB more output at 20hz, he isn't going to get a ton of output on the super low side with those kind of cabinet limitations so I say just use a hp filter in the low teens and prevent them from overexcursion.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can do anything you want but the best route would be to swap an LS1,7 into it. Light weight plenty to too much power and awesome technology. I think I am really liking the PR design too just alot of parameters I am not familiar with so... learning. Were do you get PR big enough and strong enough? And from reading there are weights? How do we determine that?

Ya really like the LMS and should have jumped on them a year ago but got a great deal on the JL and love the JL's in my cars and the Fathom so I went that route and love it just not enough UMPH!!!! Would do 2-3 more of them but they are really expensive and looks like I can do better for less.

Nate

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why the CSS over the RL-p?

Nate

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 /forum/post/12994889

Why the CSS over the RL-p?

Nate

The CSS can be put in PR box which will yield lower distortion and higher output as you have a pair of 18" radiators with 38mm xmax doing the work that a port would normally be doing, as opposed to no port at all. If you had the room, I'd say do a pair of ported soundsplinters, but seeing how don't, I see the creatives as a more elegant solution to satisfying your spl needs and fitting your small space requirements. If the soundplinters driver were powerful enough, I'd say couple them with some PR's, but it the problem is that it rolls off too steep in this small of an enclosure.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
You almost have enough room for an Rl-p18 and three CSS PR's per cab. Hmm...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi Nate,

Dropped a response to you in the Lambda thread, then saw you started a new thread here. Check my response if you're interested. Gave a few options for you in there.

John

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/12995600

You almost have enough room for an Rl-p18 and three CSS PR's per cab. Hmm...

Not even close. He has what, roughly 200liters per enclosure? PRs are nice for smaller enclosures, but I still wouldn't stuff an Rl-p in such a small enclosure unless it was sealed.

Quote:
dunno, a pair of CSS SDX15 with a pair of PR's each will do far better on the low end, about 6dB more output at 20hz, he isn't going to get a ton of output on the super low side with those kind of cabinet limitations so I say just use a hp filter in the low teens and prevent them from overexcursion.

Yeah, that would be a good option. I kind of forgot about the PR solution, even though I was one of the first folks modeling options with the CSS PRs. Considering his budget and enclosure limitations, it'd definitely be a good call.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
As some of you have no doubt noticed, I am on a bit of SDX15 + PR kick right now. It seems that the SDX is about the most powerful 15" driver we have on the market right now that warrants good sound quality and plenty of excursion, the Tempest is really designed for very large ported solutions, much moreso than the SDX in fact. But of the 15's we have right now, like the dayton Reference subs, the RL-p, ED16Ov.2, MAW15, tempest, the SDX just does so stinkin well in small PR's subs, it'd be nice if TC was still around, they were the only ones with high powered large subwoofers, everyone else's need big boxes or have higher fs, and or don't have as much displacement. The TC3k and LMS subs worked gloriously in small PR alignments.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Really? It may be a better driver, I dunno, but it seems that they model pretty similar.

Now that I look at it, the TC2k is a tiny bit flatter, one thing that I always loved about the TC2k was the massive spiders, they really seemed to go a long way and take a beating, iirc, the SDX has smaller ones, more prone to stretch, but they prolly do fine out to xmech. The sweet thing about the TC3000 even though it isn't as linear of a driver, it has the highest xmech of any tc sounds driver at an incredible 46mm, this sure makes it a lot harder to bottom in a PR alignment. It'd be nice if the SDX were built on a platform more like this, or perhaps like the Rl-p18, that one just has dual 8.5" spiders, but it still goes out to 46mm iirc, those seem to be hard to bottom. The Rl-p15 does not have quite the same motor though, unlike TC's own woofers, the SS drivers had different excursion capabilities within each series.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Really? It may be a better driver, I dunno, but it seems that they model pretty similar.

Well as you know, models are one thing and real world measurements are another. Ilkka has pretty much stated that the 2K is slightly more capable than the SDX w.r.t clean output, and obviously has a decent advantage down low due to the large dual spiders. I kind of wish I could find another for my extra piece of sonotube.

Quote:
Now that I look at it, the TC2k is a tiny bit flatter, one thing that I always loved about the TC2k was the massive spiders, they really seemed to go a long way and take a beating, iirc, the SDX has smaller ones, more prone to stretch, but they prolly do fine out to xmech.

Not only the massive spider size, but having two spiders. The SDX has one 8.5"

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I thought it was only the Audiopulse versions that they started doing dual spiders with, the LMS used to be a single spider, until some people started getting audiopulse versions with dual 10" spiders.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd /forum/post/12997032

Well as you know, models are one thing and real world measurements are another. Ilkka has pretty much stated that the 2K is slightly more capable than the SDX w.r.t clean output, and obviously has a decent advantage down low due to the large dual spiders. I kind of wish I could find another for my extra piece of sonotube.

If memory serves me, the SDX had less distortion than than the tc2k above 20hz. Below that, it's distortion was higher, which Ikkia speculated to be caused by the 8.5" spider as opposed to the 10" unit on the tc2k.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nate, are you against considering an IB? You could score quite a few 18s with that kind of money for terrifying output and amazing SQ!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12996300

As some of you have no doubt noticed, I am on a bit of SDX15 + PR kick right now. It seems that the SDX is about the most powerful 15" driver we have on the market right now that warrants good sound quality and plenty of excursion, the Tempest is really designed for very large ported solutions, much moreso than the SDX in fact. But of the 15's we have right now, like the dayton Reference subs, the RL-p, ED16Ov.2, MAW15, tempest, the SDX just does so stinkin well in small PR's subs, it'd be nice if TC was still around, they were the only ones with high powered large subwoofers, everyone else's need big boxes or have higher fs, and or don't have as much displacement. The TC3k and LMS subs worked gloriously in small PR alignments.

Army, what kind of modeling program can I use to design a SDX15 and PR1821 passive radiator design? I tried entering the parameters into WinISD Pro and it gave me a warning message that the application cannot model it and I would have to adjust it by hand (whatever that means). I modeled a sealed and ported box with no problems though.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott /forum/post/12998938

Army, what kind of modeling program can I use to design a SDX15 and PR1821 passive radiator design? I tried entering the parameters into WinISD Pro and it gave me a warning message that the application cannot model it and I would have to adjust it by hand (whatever that means). I modeled a sealed and ported box with no problems though.

A PR funtions as a port, but with no port noise, obviously. It also gives you a little bit more fudge room.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts