AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a home theater for almost 20 years... but never had a sub. I've wanted one, but it's hard in apartments, and then when I bought a house, we had kids soon after, and well, you know how it goes.

I have a ~1600 cubic foot living room (11.5x18x8') but 10 feet of one of the long walls opens to a cathedral ceilinged room with about the same footprint, open to a hallway and stairwell (basically adding another 3200 cubic feet).

I really only care about movies.. I don't need room shaking bass, but I'd like pretty good low extension - I like knowing I'm hearing what the sound track is offering... I prefer accurate to powerful, since I'll rarely be turning it up with the kids and wife around.

All the rest of my audio gear is about 17 years old.. I'm hoping I can convince my wife to let me upgrade to denon's x3700h when it comes out, but for now it's the equivalent Denon from ~2003. Bookshelf B&W 700's for left and right and an ancient but pretty large polk audio center, and some (large for computer speakers) klipsch rears. Someday I'll upgrade all the speakers, too, but for now they'll do.

I honestly don't know what my price range should be. I told my wife $600 before I looked around and now I realize that may be too low (certainly it is if I need two). Let's assume it's $800, I'll only get one to start, and maybe I can get a second later if needed.

I have some brands I've watched for a long time, but I don't really know what the best bang for the buck is these days.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
303 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
This. If you're under a grand and above 500 this is the answer. The great thing is you can then add another and still have a nice setup. Its not a waste.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm damn. If I were to stretch to like 1000 or so, would something else come on line? Technically I make a ****load of money, I just have to justify spending it :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Take some anxiety away from yourself. Either go to Best Buy or the SVS site and get a PB-1000 and try it out within the BB return window or the SVS 45 day risk-free home trial.
When that proves to be not enough and it's returned, and you look back thousands of dollars later after falling in the rabbit hole, at least you can say you tried to put the brakes on!

Every now and then, Monoprice has open-box Monolith 10" ported subs that outperform the PB-1000 (and maybe even the PB-2000) for even less money.

I honestly don't know what my price range should be. I told my wife $600 before I looked around and now I realize that may be too low (certainly it is if I need two). Let's assume it's $800, I'll only get one to start, and maybe I can get a second later if needed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take some anxiety away from yourself. Either go to Best Buy or the SVS site and get a PB-1000 and try it out within the BB return window or the SVS 45 day risk-free home trial.
When that proves to be not enough and it's returned, and you look back thousands of dollars later after falling in the rabbit hole, at least you can say you tried to put the brakes on!

Every now and then, Monoprice has open-box Monolith 10" ported subs that outperform the PB-1000 (and maybe even the PB-2000) for even less money.
This is great advice, thanks. :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Don't thank me yet. This is the edge of the precipice! lol
All I offered is a way to not spend money on shipping as you see how much sub you need. :)
Don't overlook at the PB-2000 and PC-2000 in the SVS outlet at a reduced price as they're trying to clear them out.
If an "entry-level" or 2 sub isn't enough, you'll find yourself in the DIY forum before you know it.

This is great advice, thanks. :)
I have a ~1600 cubic foot living room (11.5x18x8') but 10 feet of one of the long walls opens to a cathedral ceilinged room with about the same footprint, open to a hallway and stairwell (basically adding another 3200 cubic feet).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hmm damn. If I were to stretch to like 1000 or so, would something else come on line? Technically I make a ****load of money, I just have to justify spending it :)

OK, here is how it goes, 500-1K HSU 15" ported 98% of the time (please don't ask about the 2%). 1,001.00 to 1,200.00 see 500-1000 recommendation. 13-1500 then opens you to the next level bringing in Rythmik and lower extension from the HSU. From there you head to 2K in a big hurry. So, whats your budget and bass preference? Keep in mind, duals offer some benefits over a single sub. Now we are talking 2+k to start if you want to go that route UNLESS you stay with HSU. How loud and low do you want to go?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would strongly look at the HSU VTF15H-MK2 and add a 2nd one later. It's on sale for $869 right now plus shipping.

Once you get over $1000 then you gotta look at other 15inch subs.

Rythmik FVX15

Power Sound Audio V1512

$1500-$2700 takes it to the next level.

Rythmik FV15HP

Power Sound Audio V1812

Power Sound Audio TV1812

Power Sound Audio TV3612

Rythmik FV18

Rythmik FV25HP

JTR Cap 2400

Good infrasonic Bass is a drug and a rabbit hole.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I am using SVS PB-1000 for last 5 years and I am very satisfied with it's performance. But looking to the Specs of Monolith, seems that it is a very good bergain.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I would strongly look at the HSU VTF15H-MK2 and add a 2nd one later. It's on sale for $869 right now plus shipping.

Once you get over $1000 then you gotta look at other 15inch subs.

Rythmik FVX15

Power Sound Audio V1512

$1500-$2700 takes it to the next level.

Rythmik FV15HP

Power Sound Audio V1812

Power Sound Audio TV1812

Power Sound Audio TV3612

Rythmik FV18

Rythmik FV25HP

JTR Cap 2400

Good infrasonic Bass is a drug and a rabbit hole.
Agree with most of this, but IMHO I'd skip the PSA Vs and go for TVs for the lower tune for HT if going with a PSA sub.
OP - the Hsu for the value is hard to beat. The next step up Rythmiks are amazing performers though...good luck!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Agreed, TV if HT is the major use. Land of acronyms!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think 800ish is how much I am comfortable with right now. If that's the HSU, that's ok. It's better than like the PB 2000 pro or Monolith 12" for similar price? Clearly it's a 15, but is it as accurate as the others?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've had a home theater for almost 20 years... but never had a sub. I've wanted one, but it's hard in apartments, and then when I bought a house, we had kids soon after, and well, you know how it goes.

I really only care about movies.. I don't need room shaking bass, but I'd like pretty good low extension - I like knowing I'm hearing what the sound track is offering... I prefer accurate to powerful, since I'll rarely be turning it up with the kids and wife around.

All the rest of my audio gear is about 17 years old.. I'm hoping I can convince my wife to let me upgrade to denon's x3700h when it comes out, but for now it's the equivalent Denon from ~2003. Bookshelf B&W 700's for left and right and an ancient but pretty large polk audio center, and some (large for computer speakers) klipsch rears. Someday I'll upgrade all the speakers, too, but for now they'll do.

I have some brands I've watched for a long time, but I don't really know what the best bang for the buck is these days.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
I know that this will be above your desired budget, but with the 2 bolded quotes and your room size, this screams of a Rythmik FVX15 or FV15HP at minimum. Then if need be add a second later on. And if you want clean, accurate bass, then you want a Rythmik.

There's a saying around here that goes, "Buy once. Cry once.", so I would suggest that you contact Enrico or Brian either by PM (Rythmik owner's thread) or via email/phone that can be found on their website. They're very honest with their recommendations in that they will even recommend a competitors product if it better suites your needs, so you'll be in hands.

Thread link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1214550-official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread.html

Rythmik website:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

Hope this helps,

Darrell

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think 800ish is how much I am comfortable with right now. If that's the HSU, that's ok. It's better than like the PB 2000 pro or Monolith 12" for similar price? Clearly it's a 15, but is it as accurate as the others?

The real question is, are they as accurate as the HSU?

Monolith= questionable support (why take that risk?) smaller woofer, lower output

PB-2000pro= smaller woofer, less output (most likely) Less sub similar cost.

For movies and the budget HSU all the way.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would say Tom over at Power Sound Audio is also very honest with recommendations whether a PSA product or a competitor may be the best for some. I ended up going with a PSA S3012 but that (for now!!) is probably not what the OP is looking for but also worth noting that both PSA and Rythmik not to mention SVS have good deals on B-stock when available so you may go that route and improve your bang for the buck.

Reactions: d-rail34

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that if you're having doubts, you should just buy something from Best Buy to try and then return it if you don't like it.

Everyone will recommend HSU VTF15H MK2, so you know it's a good choice. But you're going from zero subwoofer to a subwoofer, so ANY subwoofer will be an improvement. The VTF-2 MK5 is critically acclaimed as well. They just want you to get a big boss sub because you have a large space and money to spend. You would be happy with the extra bass from lots of different things out there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts