AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could folks help me decide by sharing what they would do?

55EA9800 @ $2000

55EC9300 @ $2400

Both new, final prices are what's listed (rounded for ease)

I won't be wall mounting. Any other comments?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
447 Posts
One deciding factor for me was the input lag while gaming. Firmware updates may have changed things but the most recent numbers I could find was that the EC9300 gets down to ~35ms, EA9800 is ~55ms. I wouldn't call myself a competitive gamer, but over 40ms lag I definitely feel in some games. Other people may find it acceptable, so ymmv.

If input lag is not a concern I'd probably go with the cheaper set. You may be able to get the EC9300 for $2K if another deal like the one MC and Buydig was running pops up again, though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One deciding factor for me was the input lag while gaming. Firmware updates may have changed things but the most recent numbers I could find was that the EC9300 gets down to ~35ms, EA9800 is ~55ms. I wouldn't call myself a competitive gamer, but over 40ms lag I definitely feel in some games. Other people may find it acceptable, so ymmv.

If input lag is not a concern I'd probably go with the cheaper set. You may be able to get the EC9300 for $2K if another deal like the one MC and Buydig was running pops up again, though.

Thank you for the thoughts..

I think I'm sort of leaning for the EA9800 due to price as of right now -- I also personally really dig the design/look of it. (personal taste thing I guess - They all look cool)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I was in the same dilemma when I bought my set. So both of these sets are new with full 1-year LG warranty?

My decision to choose the 9300 over the 9800 came down to luck with price and I did factor in the input lag and the design difference. The way the 9800 sits was a bit too big for my stand so I knew getting that model meant I would have to spend more on a new stand. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was an extra expense. I have heard some say the 9800 was the better set being the "flagship" model, so the build quality, etc was better than the 9300. When you compare the initial price points the 9300 entered the market around $3500 retail and the 9800 was $9999 I believe. However, user reviews/opinions never really showed any favoritism to either model (other than that LG Vegas guy). Both at their best, performed well and look amazing no doubt.

I also can't say for certain that the 9800 suffered more dead pixel/subpixel issues, but I did read a lot about them in the user threads, but again, may just be bad luck, may be a real issue over time. There was a specific pro review who got a review unit that had about 50 subpixels out which looked bad, but again may be isolated. The 9300 I bought has no dead pixels I can see and I'm not going to search for them, has been performing nicely for the past few weeks :).

One thing to remember is if you can pay by AMEX, you can extend your warranty by a year as they give you an extra year, You just need to charge the full amount and I believe it has to be an authorized dealer possibly. I am a bit new to that so thought I'd mention it. I was able to get in on the buydig deal of the 9300 at $1999 so I jumped on it.

At the end of the day I would base your decision on security with warranty vs aesthetics, OLED is a such a new tech, you don't want to save some $ now but pay later if something goes wrong within the next year or so. Either set will blow you away in terms of PQ.

I've also seen the 9300 priced below $2400 shipped from different sources, i would check eBay for reputable dealers, PM Cleveland Plasma on here as well. Seems a user in the OLED Deals thread convinced Buydig to honor the $1999 price as well for the 9300 so YMMV that is a great price though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for sharing.

Today I bought the 55EA9800 for $1999 though Amazon (reseller).

But.....

They called me and informed me they are out of stock on the old model (55EA9800) I ordered but were happy to send me the newer model (55EC9300) instead at the same price.

Free shipping (Lower 48 USA) also.

So at the end of the day I'm getting the 55EC9300 for $1999, free shipping & no Tax (Idaho) after all!

Thrilled! :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thank you all for sharing.

Today I bought the 55EA9800 for $1999 though Amazon (reseller).

But.....

They called me and informed me they are out of stock on the old model (55EA9800) I ordered but were happy to send me the newer model (55EC9300) instead at the same price.

Free shipping (Lower 48 USA) also.

So at the end of the day I'm getting the 55EC9300 for $1999, free shipping & no Tax (Idaho) after all!

Thrilled! :)
Congrats, you're gonna love it!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Well that sounds like quite the win-win.

It's a bit late to really matter, but low input lag is also useful for PC use and audio-video desynchronization if you plug devices directly into a reciever rather than into the TV.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that sounds like quite the win-win.

It's a bit late to really matter, but low input lag is also useful for PC use and audio-video desynchronization if you plug devices directly into a reciever rather than into the TV.
For sure!

I basically was at the point of "I'll love either one of these sets" so whichever I can get for less (new w/ warranty, etc) I'm all in.

·
Banned
425 Posts

I've put my EG9600 up against a GT30 plasma to compare the image from the same signal. Shockingly, there's about 1-2 frames of additional latency on the OLED that's not there on the plasma.

It's very apparent when both TVs are displaying the same video and the Panasonic is always 2 frames ahead. Somehow this 2 frame latency, which you would think would be a pretty big deal in games, just isn't for me. The TV's poor handling of motion is more distracting than whatever little bit of affect an extra 33ms of latency seems to have. Funny how the Panasonic plasma handles motion better _and_ has lower latency too - it's definitely more versatile when it comes to gaming (just no longer manufactured, sadly).

·
Registered
329 Posts
9800 is more prone to image retention and burn in, ec9300 has new technology of some sort to avoid image retention. I had both, based on personal experience.
what was the seller name who had 9800 for 2K?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9800 is more prone to image retention and burn in, ec9300 has new technology of some sort to avoid image retention. I had both, based on personal experience.
what was the seller name who had 9800 for 2K?
Best Deals Fast

Link: http://amzn.com/B00E5U3YEK

No guarantees from me. If you buy from that page, you *MUST* be prepared to pay for and take delivery of the 9800 (that's what is being sold).

Only several hours after my order did I get a phone call and an option to switch to the 9300.
There's no way to be sure that will happen for anyone else, so buyer beware!

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Congrats in your purchase! It is the best picture I have ever seen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm buying a 55EC9300, but am going to wait until someone has another sale off of the $3499 price tag.

You ask why don't I buy it from "Abe's of Maine", "Nice Electronics", or "East Coast TVs"? Because my neighbor bought an LG TV from a unauthorized dealer, and when he called for service, he was told he had no warranty.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm buying a 55EC9300, but am going to wait until someone has another sale off of the $3499 price tag.

You ask why don't I buy it from "Abe's of Maine", "Nice Electronics", or "East Coast TVs"? Because my neighbor bought an LG TV from a unauthorized dealer, and when he called for service, he was told he had no warranty.

Steve
BuyDig an authorized dealer as of yesterday is still honoring the 1999 price. You just have to talk to one of the reps there. I purchased one, anxiously awaiting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Went to the Fry's near me in Fountain Valley, Ca yesterday for the sale they were having on the 9300. Last demo unit was just sold. The sales rep said several new units were due in next week. so I locked one in for $1,499.00 and $285.00 for the 2 year extended warranty. $1,900.00 out the door. Should I keep the extra warranty? It really just allows me to deal directly with Fry's instead of LG if anything goes out on it.

I paid with my Amex. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to the Fry's near me in Fountain Valley, Ca yesterday for the sale they were having on the 9300. Last demo unit was just sold. The sales rep said several new units were due in next week. so I locked one in for $1,499.00 and $285.00 for the 2 year extended warranty. $1,900.00 out the door. Should I keep the extra warranty? It really just allows me to deal directly with Fry's instead of LG if anything goes out on it.

Nicely done!
I personally would rather deal with LG than Frys, but that's just me (on warranty question)

·
Registered
88 Posts

I got same deal brand new yesterday at City of Industry, CA hooked up last night on white screen there's a fade green tint at upper right corner of the screen all inputs. I contact LG open the case waiting for approval to send the tech to check the panel either repair or replacement, if it take too long I will return it. In term of extended warranty you can get Squaretrde at Costco.com 3 years extended after manufacture warranty expired for $89.00. http://www.costco.com/.product.11680336.html

·
Registered
809 Posts
I just spoke to my friend he has a 9800 with 4 thousand hours
He has he has some burn in and the tv is not at bright,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts