AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete newbie here, hoping to find expert advice from the Guru's. I am looking to buy a 65" rear projection tv within 3000$, choice's being Sony, Hitachi and Mits. I greatly appreciate all the help since this is my first big Tv buy.

Regards

Diane

·
Registered
663 Posts
I just got a Mitsu 65413. It cost $2700.

I am very happy with it so far, but I'm not a guru -- just someone who really likes watching movies. 95% of the usage is for DVDs. Colors and black levels are very nice after minimal tweaking with the AVIA setup disk.

It might be helpful if you provide some details on what you will use if for and what you environement is like.

Sage

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be for about 60-70% Tv on dish network and the remainder for DVD. Where did you buy it for 2700$.. It looks majority so far is the mits.

Regards

Diane

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you will use the PIP features then it may behoove you to look at the Sony(s). They have easily the best PIP implementation IMO...

Marc

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcInNH
If you will use the PIP features then it may behoove you to look at the Sony(s). They have easily the best PIP implementation IMO...

Marc
Better than Mits? I haven't tested the Sony modes but the Mits modes are much better than Hitachi.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Pioneer (yet), even though you didn't include them in your original list. The 64" 643 can be had for $2199. The Elites have rebates right now, but don't know what that brings them down to. You can find scattered info here, or lots over at The SPOT in the Pioneer and RPTV forums.

I researched for at least a couple hours a day for over 3 months before I bought my RPTV. Not only did I like what I read about the Pioneers the best, but I also read the least negatives about them as well. That was critical in my decision.

Regardless of what you choose, most RPTVs are going to give you a great pic for HD and DVD. However, the pic quality on SD (satellite/cable) is vastly different across the board. The SD quality was one thing that convinced me to go Pioneer. I've also read great things about Hitachi and Toshiba. Mitsu was my second choice, but the poor SD quality scared me away. However, all indications are they have improved greatly with this year's models.

I've done lots of research for my RPTV, DVD player, receiver and digital camera, and I've steered away from Sony in all cases based on what I've read - but of course, that's me. A lot of people like them, but what stuck out to me is that a lot of people don't like them as well.

Also, be aware that many TVs that you're looking at in the store have their settings all messed up from clueless salesmen and nosey customers, so they will look much different in your home after you tweek them. Many people see the TV that's the "brightest", and equate that to the best picture. The reason many are so bright in the showroom is that they have the contrast cranked to unsafe levels to make them look bright in the bright showrooms.

Regardless what you choose, have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Mits. Just bought a 613. It's my second Mitsubishi set. Loved the first one, expect even better from this one. I would also suggest it cause I do believe that it's the only RPTV on the market with both Firewire and DVI (I could be wrong).

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB
Mits. Just bought a 613. It's my second Mitsubishi set. Loved the first one, expect even better from this one. I would also suggest it cause I do believe that it's the only RPTV on the market with both Firewire and DVI (I could be wrong).
Hitachi integrated sets also have both (actually, even before Mits with the XWX)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.