AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, been lurking on this forum for the last year & finally registered recently so I could post. I am impressed with the knowledge on this forum.

I am looking to replace my current receiver. My budget is in the ball park of $2,000. I recently looked at the Rotel RSX-1550 and like it. I like the simpleness of it and I have no desire for a 7.1 system - so the fact that I am only paying for 5 channels was nice.

My speakers are old Energy Speakers

L/R: e:XL 26

C: e:XL XLC

Sub: e:XL:S-12

Surrounds - are an old pair of Kef C-40's that I have had forever.

I have no current upgrade plans for the speakers but I do like the Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower Speaker System which could be a possibility down the line.

For DVD - I have an old pioneer but plan to buy the OPPO Blu-Ray

Let me know if you need any other info for specs.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen /forum/post/17019349

Hi guys, been lurking on this forum for the last year & finally registered recently so I could post. I am impressed with the knowledge on this forum.

I am looking to replace my current receiver. My budget is in the ball park of $2,000. I recently looked at the Rotel RSX-1550 and like it. I like the simpleness of it and I have no desire for a 7.1 system - so the fact that I am only paying for 5 channels was nice.

My speakers are old Energy Speakers

L/R: e:XL 26

C: e:XL XLC

Sub: e:XL:S-12

Surrounds - are an old pair of Kef C-40's that I have had forever.

I have no current upgrade plans for the speakers but I do like the Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower Speaker System which could be a possibility down the line.

For DVD - I have an old pioneer but plan to buy the OPPO Blu-Ray

Let me know if you need any other info for specs.

You can use use any of the current higher end receivers for 5.1 only. They don't have to be used as 7.1. In the price range you're looking into there's the Yamaha RX-Z7, the Denon 4308CI(less than 2K) Denon 4310(also less) Onkyo 906, look at some of these and compare them to the Rotel you've look into and decide whats best for you. All of these have a lot of connections and features, some of which you may or may not use or need. I'm sure that Rotel would be a fine choice. The Onkyo 876 would also be one that needs to be considered. You have a lot of researching to do to find that "perfect" AVR that does what you want.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What features should I be looking for, it's been a long time since I shopped av receivers.

I know I need the latest Dolby & DTS HD - other than that I have no idea.

I don't really care for the tons of surround sound modes that Yamaha offers. I have a lower end Yamaha in my basement on the kids tv and I am not that impressed with the control layout. It's got so much crap on there it's actually a little confusing. That's sort of what I liked about the Rotel was the lack of all that "crap"

I have always like denon but have no experience with the units. I don't know much about the Onkyo.

I will take a look at the ones you suggested. What makes them good or better then other ones?

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen /forum/post/17019623

What features should I be looking for, it's been a long time since I shopped av receivers.

I know I need the latest Dolby & DTS HD - other than that I have no idea.

I don't really care for the tons of surround sound modes that Yamaha offers. I have a lower end Yamaha in my basement on the kids tv and I am not that impressed with the control layout. It's got so much crap on there it's actually a little confusing. That's sort of what I liked about the Rotel was the lack of all that "crap"

I have always like denon but have no experience with the units. I don't know much about the Onkyo, but thought they were lower end.

If thats all you need, I would spend 500 bucks on a Denon AVR and upgrade those speakers!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSUCHY /forum/post/17019641

If thats all you need, I would spend 500 bucks on a Denon AVR and upgrade those speakers!

That why I came to this forum, I really don't know what I need.

I would think that a $2,000 receiver provides higher quality amps then a $500 7 channel receiver. But I really don't have a clue. I don't know what features I should be looking for and what ones I don't need.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
A lot of the newer AVR's have these DSP modes, just not as many as the Yamahas. You may also want to look at the Pioneer Elite SC05/SC07 or their newer models the 25 or the 27. These seem to be some of the easiest to navigate around and don't have the DSP's the Yamaha's have. These Elites have been highly regarded because of their ease of use, power(ICE amps) and durability along with great sound. Venture over to the dedicated thread for these Pioneer's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1057599

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170880

The first one is for SC05/07 and the second one is for the new models the 25 and 27. Also from either of these threads the people there will help you out as much as possible and there are no stupid questions. Very friendly and helpful threads. Good luck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the Rotel RSX-1058 and I love it. The 1550 is the new version. You can't go wrong with that one, IMO.

BTW, some dealers still have 1058s in stock for cheap. I just set my Blu ray to PCM and get the new formats perfectly.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
As an owner of an SC-07 I would highly recommend a Pioneer Elite receiver. Another option would be to look at a Denon, also a fine reciever, possibly a 4308ci refurb from the only authorized seller I know of - link below. I think you will be very happy with either one. As an owner of 2 Onkyo receivers I would stay away from them right now, if you go to their threads there are a lot of owners with complaints, plus they run very hot, I had to buy fans for mine. The SC 05/07 thread is one of the best and you will find very few negative comments throughout the 200+ pages.
http://www.dakmart.com/

Also, as someone who spent less than $500 on a receiver and then spent more than that on the Elite, I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference in the sound quality put out by the more expensive receiver plus other advantages. I agree expensive doesn't always mean better, but there is equipment out there like Pioneer Elite, Denon, Rotel, Emotiva, etc. that is worth the extra $.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm /forum/post/17020183

As an owner of an SC-07 I would highly recommend a Pioneer Elite receiver. Another option would be to look at a Denon, also a fine reciever, possibly a 4308ci refurb from the only authorized seller I know of - link below. I think you will be very happy with either one. As an owner of 2 Onkyo receivers I would stay away from them right now, if you go to their threads there are a lot of owners with complaints, plus they run very hot, I had to buy fans for mine. The SC 05/07 thread is one of the best and you will find very few negative comments throughout the 200+ pages.
http://www.dakmart.com/

Also, as someone who spent less than $500 on a receiver and then spent more than that on the Elite, I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference in the sound quality put out by the more expensive receiver plus other advantages. I agree expensive doesn't always mean better, but there is equipment out there like Pioneer Elite, Denon, Rotel, Emotiva, etc. that is worth the extra $.

With a 2K budget he doesn't need to buy refurb. You can get a new one for under $1500 with free delivery. As for the Onkyo running hot I just put a new 876 in service this weekend and have used for three days now watching Dish,Blu-ray and listening to music. It did not get any warmer than my Yamaha 2600 did. All of the newer AVR's will get hot if they don't have enough circulation for them. The SC's will also. Maybe not as hot but hot none the less. All of these things have a lot more going on in them than the older models. Find one that meets your needs and wants, go to the dedicated threads for each and read what owners say. A lot of help is in these threads for each and every brand and model.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Note that Onkyo run hot, Harmon Kardons are low powered, Sonys suck, Saul Marantz is dead, Pioneer stopped being cool in the late 70s and Denon finances the Taliban. I think that leaves only Yamaha as your choice
(that was humor, ok? I don't think these things in real life)

One thing you need to figure out is what features you want. I chose the 3900 for it's flexible video processing (analog and HDMI,) volume display overlayed over HDMI, network audio (I used Rhapsody,) and the fact that I owned the 2700 before and liked it.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen /forum/post/17019772

That why I came to this forum, I really don't know what I need.

I would think that a $2,000 receiver provides higher quality amps then a $500 7 channel receiver. But I really don't have a clue. I don't know what features I should be looking for and what ones I don't need.

That would be an false assumption.

There are incredible deals out there for the 2007 or 2008 models that have all the features you currently need. $500 gets you the same SQ as $2K does!

There is zero reason to spend $2000 on any electronics when haven't spent the $$$ for quality speakers. The ratios goes like this 70-90% on speakers, room treatments and 10%-30% on electronics. Those who spend 80% on electronics will never match the SQ of those who spend 80% on speakers.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I think more spent on receivers is more features and more power not better ( significantly) sound quality.

There's no proof more expensive receivers have better sound quality. They may use better DACs, better op amps, better volume control chips, better capacitors and better construction etc. But does that equate to significant improvements in sound quality?

I spent a lot (it's a lot to me anyway,) on my receiver for the features I wanted. And I got more power than a budget receiver would have.

Power wise, my Yamaha RX-V657 was plenty good. I think the most budget of receivers should be avoided when that makes sense from a power perspective, but that's probably not an issue with your budget

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen /forum/post/17020754

Maybe what I am really looking for is some general help and guidance in what to actually look for.

Enough power for those speakers or better yet more than enough in case you decide to upgrade. Enough inputs for the equipment you want to connect, whether they are HDMI or component. Some type of room equalization program. Yamaha uses YPAO, Denon uses AUdessey of different scales with XT being the best, Onkyo also Audessey of different levels, Pioneer uses MCACC. With these programs the general consensus seems to be to go with Audessey or MCACC as the best and Yamaha's YPAO making progress with their newer version. Ease of use. Denon seems to be the hardest to learn from what I've read, but don't know that for sure as I've never owned one. Pioneers gets plenty of kudos for ease of use and set-up as does some lower end models from Onkyo. The more the receiver does the longer the learning curve. Do you need or want a video processor in your receiver? Reon HQV and ABT seem to get the high marks here. These are found in the Onkyo and Denon models, along with the ABT in the upper range of Yamahas receivers. Do you want to be able to listen to HD Radio or add Sirius XM to your receiver. If so that another thing to consider. Some now have USB ports on them for listening to or adding upgrades from their makers. Denon comes to mind with their latest offerings, but others also have USB ports. Most of these receivers today are very complicated for someone that's been away from them for a while. There are tons of options, especially in your price range. Go over what you want to do with this gear,what your sources are going to be, how many sources,and ease of use for you. I feel that the Rotel you started out with will problably everything you need and more. As for its ease of use I can't help you with that. I've never used Rotel equipment before. Enjoy the hunt, don't get in a rush and finally buy something you will feel comfortable with and not have buyers remorse. It's a hobby, enjoy it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They only thing I am really going to do with it is hook up the OPPO Blu-Ray, my Comcast HD Cable Box, & my HD tivo

The video for the Tivo and Cablebox will go directly to the TV (makes it eaiser for the wife that way she can listen to tv sound)

The dvd will go through the receiver to decode Dolby HD & DTS HD

I don't care about satellite radio

I listen to CD's but not big into music

I doubt I will ever hook up an ipod to it

I just listen to Dolby Digital & DTS, I never use the other surround modes like hall, etc

I am interested in good solid build quality

I do like the automatic room set-up for the speakers, I know the rotel doesn't offer that & I could just get out the old sound meter and do it myself.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/17021098

I think more spent on receivers is more features and more power not better ( significantly) sound quality.

There's no proof more expensive receivers have better sound quality. They may use better DACs, better op amps, better volume control chips, better capacitors and better construction etc. But does that equate to significant improvements in sound quality?

I spent a lot (it's a lot to me anyway,) on my receiver for the features I wanted. And I got more power than a budget receiver would have.

Power wise, my Yamaha RX-V657 was plenty good. I think the most budget of receivers should be avoided when that makes sense from a power perspective, but that's probably not an issue with your budget

I do agree with that and if specific features are needed they a person is going to pay a permium.I know what you mean, try finding a decent AVR or pre/pro that is 14".

But most of the features needed today have been out for a couple of years and in the OPs case I really think a 2008 or 2007 model will save him thousands but still give him features beyond what he will need. I did assume the OPPO Blu Ray player has PCM out but I guess I should check that.

Right now something like the Denon 2809 for under $700 is hard to be for top Audyssey EQing, Dynamic Volume/EQing, etc. In the OP situation I suspect one of the low cost HK solutions will blow him away already. Its the speakers here that will make the biggest difference.

He should just have listed all his requirements instead of posting "wanting a $2K AVR"....

·
Banned
574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/17021018

That would be an false assumption.

There are incredible deals out there for the 2007 or 2008 models that have all the features you currently need. $500 gets you the same SQ as $2K does!

It may be a false assumption at times but when talking MSRP $2000 receivers vs $500....most of the time the power quality and sound quality(subjective) advantage goes to the $2000 unit.

I do agree that one can purchase a closeout deal or used unit for $500 and get a great deal. I just sold my NAD T773 for less than that and I am 100% sure the buyer got a great deal.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen /forum/post/17021250

They only thing I am really going to do with it is hook up the OPPO Blu-Ray, my Comcast HD Cable Box, & my HD tivo

The video for the Tivo and Cablebox will go directly to the TV (makes it eaiser for the wife that way she can listen to tv sound)

The dvd will go through the receiver to decode Dolby HD & DTS HD

I don't care about satellite radio

I listen to CD's but not big into music

I doubt I will ever hook up an ipod to it

I just listen to Dolby Digital & DTS, I never use the other surround modes like hall, etc

I am interested in good solid build quality

I do like the automatic room set-up for the speakers, I know the rotel doesn't offer that & I could just get out the old sound meter and do it myself.

Simple then get the Rotel and be done with it. You know the build quality is there and it will do everything you want. Seems as if its the one for you.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts