AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am new to these forums. My only real experience with camcorders is that i have an old from 2000 panasonic vhsc and a canon zr85 that was given to me.

I am trying to find a good camera to use for my church as we video the messages, edit and upload or drop off at a local tv station who then play them on sunday evening.

1. we need a hard drive rather then dvd or tapes.digital, hd is optional

2. a mic input that we can connect the mic lapel into or connect it through the sound board.

3. $300-$600 usd if possible.If less that's also great. If more, it depends on how much better it is.

4. with the new digital tv coming up in february, i assume that everything will be in wide screen. But do i need a camera that does full screen and widescreen?

5. where is a good place to shop for camcorders and get reviews?

6. I assume that a 2 hour record time would be plenty. But i dont know what you can do or how much hard drive is needed.

We shoot the video from about 20 feet away. Our current camcorder only has a built in mic and picks up all the sound in the room.

We use adobe premiere to edit the video's, but i assume that all camcorders out put in avi/dv 2. (i think thats the format)

What are good brands and what should i avoid?

i have heard that canon are some of the better and better priced camcorders.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzoom /forum/post/15571559

How come you want hard drive only? I can understand not wanting DVD.

From my experience in the time it takes to transfer the footage to the pc takes way to long. Also from my experience the video quality isnt as good on the mini dv tapes. They are more like 8mm. My old vhsc had better picture quality then the newer camera footage i have seen from friends and familys camcorders, not to mention way better then my canon zr85.

But it may just be that i haven't seen footage from a decent camera. But the real time transfer rate of footage takes too long.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 /forum/post/15571734

From my experience in the time it takes to transfer the footage to the pc takes way to long.

In that case, why not a flash memory camcorder? You simply remove the SD card and plug it into a card reader for your PC. For hard drive camcorder, you need to find the cable and connect the camcorder to the PC, and some brand requires you to plug in the AC adapter as well. And SD card could transfer much faster if you find yourself a good card reader. For HD, a 16GB card is good for 2 hours (much longer for standard definition).

Quote:
3. $300-$600 usd if possible.If less that's also great. If more, it depends on how much better it is.

For HD in this price range, Canon HF100 is a good choice. But you have to find out from your local TV station what video format they would accept. Has your TV station gone HD yet? If they only accept standard defintion, then you should buy a standard definition camcorder to save time (or at least a HD camcorder which can record in Standard definition). Otherwise, converting HD to SD takes time (in this case, HF100 would not be suitable for you).

How is the lighting in your church? If there is good lighting, then most camcorder would work well. If the lighting is dim, then pay attention to the low light capability of the camcorder, otherwise you will see a lot of noise.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
sd or hd, it would probably be a good idea to shoot widescreen... you'll still need an external mic of some sort, or how about taking the audio feed off of the soundboard, and running that into the camera.

i'd do it just the way kalak said, you can plug the audio feed into the hf100 with the right adapters, but you might have to put some time in on the computer to process the avchd.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great responces.

Kalak:

I didnt even know that camcorders could use just flash memory, thanks.

We currently just use firewire for the video transfer (the larger firewire, though my mobo has both firewire ports)

All we really need is sd as the local tv station is basicly a cable access tv. I live in a smaller town so there is currently not even 1 hd over the air channel.

Time for us is a factor so we wouldnt want to to have to render the hd to sd. Just a sd avi/dv 2 camera would be great.With an audio jack of corse.

The lighting is decent in the church. For about 2 years we used the canon zr85.

osv:

Thanks.

I figure as long as the camera has some sort of an audi/mic port it shouldnt be too hard to figure out the adaptors.

When you talk about the avchd, do you mean that the sink would be off? Or since it is an hd camera is that just the audio format it uses like a simulated 5.1 that would have to be rendered?

Thanks for your help, so the canon hf100 is out since it is only hd. I will keep looking through camera to try to find one to suit our needs.

Im not one to just go down and buy the walmart special, i like to research and get the best camera i can afford.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
with the hf100, avchd is the codec that the video is rendered with... there won't be any audio sync problems, but if you are going to edit the video files, you'll need a fast computer.

here are some comparisons of sd camcorders, i think that this canon records mpeg2 to flash memory, so it'll be easy to edit with the right software, just check to make sure that it has an audio in port:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...omparisons.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have videoed a few sermons at my Church with my Panasonic GS120 camcorder and had a couple of big issues.

First was connecting the soundboard to the microphone input on the camcorder. Our Mackie soundboard has a line level output which is much higher than the microphone input on my camcorder. I could not find a good cheap way to do it. Several people make expensive boxes to do this, but nothing cheap. Also the GS120 does not have a way to change the microphone level and some of the newer ones do, which may help enough. The only way that I got good results was to record the sound separately and combine them later in software

Second was I did not have a good tripod. If you need to move the camera, then you really need to have a good tripod with a fluid head.

Do a search for the "geeks & god" website. it is a podcast/message board that may be a lot of help.

Also remember that after you have the video on your computer you can do more with it than just local TV. Check out YouTube and GodTube.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your replies.

We went with the canon fs11. Under $300 at walmart of all places. It came with the 16gb card.

The video is already far better then what we had before. The mic was also simple to hook up.

The video, even though it says it is grainy in low light, it is nothing like the older cameras grainyness in low light.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpindersohi /forum/post/15603257

You have one more good option nd thats is Sony DCR-Sr45. Its having 30Gb harddrive and cost is same as you got it, $300. So just have watch on this at www.electronics-expo.com

There is no mic input on that camera.

From all the hdd cameras that i had found in our price range, i couldnt find one that had a mic input.I think i found one for $700... but to pay $400 more over the camera we got to go from sd card to hdd just wasnt worht it.

Im sure there are a few, but i just didnt find any, then we went and looked localy and didnt find any either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts