AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally convinced my wife that a new surround sound speaker system would give much better sound than our cheap old Koss speakers connected to our Onkyo TX-SR506 receiver.

We live in a small San Francisco apartment and the speakers will be used in a small living room with two sets of bay windows on the left and back of our couch and a total of five french doors on the other two sides of the room. The room is also cramped with a desk, a bookshelf, a tall cabinet and a coffee table living no open walls other than the back of our Samsung LN40A750 TV.

I have a very tight budged and I think one of the following Polk Audio systems will be a good choice for our needs.

- Polk Audio RM705

- Polk Audio RM6880

- Polk Audio RM10 coupled with a Velodyne VX-10 sub

Satellite speakers used in RM10 and RM6880 are an older model but seem like having better specs than current model speakers of RM705 (I am not an audiophile and don't know much about speaker specs).

I found all three setups for about the same price online, so price-wise they are all equal. Since I won't be allowed to buy another system for at least ten years (wife factor), I want to make the right decision and stick with it. I also consider buying a pair of RM8 satellites to upgrade to a 7.1 setup, so I want to make sure that they will match well with older speakers if I choose RM6880 or RM10.

Do you guys have any ideas or comments that would help me choose? Do you think I am making a good decision on buying Polk speakers or should I also consider one of Mirage Nanosat, HKTS-15 or JBL CS480BG systems?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i havent heard any of the polk setups but i have hkts 15...good system for an apartment. i was impressed when i got them. sound quality is good and the sub is more powerful than any htib package. i had the sony bravia system before which goes for 550 and this blows it away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts