AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting together a theater room in my basement. Room is rectangular shaped (like 16x19 with low ceilings 7.5')...screen will be on one of the narrow walls....it's a fully enclosed room so no open walls to worry about.

Content in the room will be like 70% movies, 29% sports and 1% music. I've got a $800 hard budget (it was previously $600 but i managed to stretch it and i really really can't go higher) and that has to include shipping.

The sub will be completing a 5.1 setup that will include 5 identical bookshelfs (likely either Emptek R5bi's or HSU HB-1's).

Just looking for suggestions for my situation so i can narrow it down to a couple choices. I'd obviously like something that'll recreate a cinema like experience but don't plan on listening at volumes that will shake the whole house.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would consider the Outlaw Ultra X-12 and Rythmik LV-12R too.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I would really try to make a stretch to the Hsu VTF3 mk5, even if it means knocking down your system to a 3.1. It is so much more powerful than the less expensive subs. You might need two PB2000s to equal it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would really try to make a stretch to the Hsu VTF3 mk5, even if it means knocking down your system to a 3.1. It is so much more powerful than the less expensive subs. You might need two PB2000s to equal it.
yeah i've been reading a lot about that one....just worried about it maybe being too powerful (on top of being above my budget)....i don't want to shake the upstairs when i'm watching movies. i realize that just because it has all that power doesn't mean you need to use it all but then is it kind of a situation of wasted potential? Like having a ferrari and never taking it over 100mph

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
yeah i've been reading a lot about that one....just worried about it maybe being too powerful (on top of being above my budget)....i don't want to shake the upstairs when i'm watching movies. i realize that just because it has all that power doesn't mean you need to use it all but then is it kind of a situation of wasted potential? Like having a ferrari and never taking it over 100mph
There are several advantages to having a powerful sub aside from just being able to get louder. First of all, you get cleaner bass, since the sub does not have to work as hard to achieve moderate output levels. Harmonic distortion will be non-existant. The lower you go down the subwoofer ladder, the more distortion you will get. Second, since the sub would be less stressed, it will last longer. Less heat generated from the amp and less excursion from the woofer will greatly improve their long-term reliability. Third, less compressed peaks mean more accurate playback. Even at moderate volume levels, a sub can be called to play a loud transient peak which can get squashed by a lesser sub, even if it can handle nominal levels just fine. In addition, a more capable sub will be less susceptible to long-term compression where the sub can lose output over a sustained period of bass. On top of that, it definitely doesn't hurt to have that extra headroom for those occasions where you will want to crank it. A great sub can be lots of fun when you have the house all to yourself, or when you want to impress buddies.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you aren't afraid to get your hands a little dirty, you can build an 18" for that budget and still have money left over. :D

It's easy as can be using the flatpacks available.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Power Sound Audio has been having the XV15se in their outlet often lately for $799. Great sub, 5 year warranty and 30 day free trial with return shipping paid by PSA. That would be my easy choice for a $800 budget.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
reading into sealed vs. ported subs.....seems maybe sealed would be better for my application?
With 2,280 cu. ft. (in the middle of a medium size room) you have several alternatives depending upon what you are trying to achieve. And since music won’t be used much, if at all, a ported sub will give you some impressive bass with good output in that room.

The Hsu ShadyJ mentioned would be high on my list. It’s an impressive performer, but I understand budget concerns. You might also take a look at Outlaw Audio’s Ultra-X12 or the Rythmik LV12R. Later, when funds are available (and if you are having problems covering your listening position) getting a second sub won’t break the bank.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Two of these:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton...es-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7093

And 1 of these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU3000DSP

I realize diy/aiy isn't necessarily for everyone, but it should does maximize your dollar.
You would want a different amp with those subs, I would suggest going with HT18's dvc 4, the daytons are 4ohms and that inuke should be run at 2ohms to get the most out of it. The HT18 drives are only 180 shipped now a days from stereo integrity. Making a sealed box is easy but you could go the flat pack rout from partsexpress or DIYsoundgroup. DIY will almost always yeald more bass for the buck. You do have to factor in other costs such as screws, paint, insulation, wires, speakon cable, speakon connectors. But two 18's getting 1200rms a peice is pretty decent, no single svs sub would compete with those two 18's in a ported box at any price let alone for a budget of $800.

I have a svs pb-12+ and its a decent sub but even 1 vs a single ported 18 HT18 is not very close.

If going DIY I would suggest to get the inuke 6kdsp instead of the 3k. Its a little bit more money and you get flexibility to add two more 18's later if you want. IF not your running the subs @ 8ohms giving them a very clean 1200rms.

If you want premade I would go with PSA subs if they have one for that price range anymore, been a while since I looked.

·
Premium Member
11,468 Posts
Lucky Strike said:
Putting together a theater room in my basement. Room is rectangular shaped (like 16x19 with low ceilings 7.5') ... it's a fully enclosed room ...

Content in the room will be like 70% movies, 29% sports and 1% music. I've got a $800 hard budget ... and that has to include shipping.
Just looking for suggestions for my situation so i can narrow it down to a couple choices. I'd obviously like something that'll recreate a cinema like experience but don't plan on listening at volumes that will shake the whole house.
Start with the PB-2000 @ $799, shipped, with free return shipping within 45 days. If you like it, you're set; if you don't, you send it back and the in-home demo costs you $0. Then you save up another $89 to cover the shipping on the $799 HSU VTF-3 MK5. :)

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
I gotta admit, I'm damn impressed with the PB-1000 I just set up. The bass is clean, hits hard, and is MORE than enough for most people. If the 1000's this good, I can't even imagine how rockin' the 2000 must be! I'm sure an excellent value at $800. Hoping to test drive one soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts