AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the lack of HDMI audio on the receiver with my Onkyo HT-SR800 HTIB has been bugging me especially with the PS3. I'm thinking of not only replacing the receiver, but the speakers as well, which is the part I'm having difficulties making up my mind over.

I'm thinking of spending about $1000 max on speakers and subwoofer. Obviously I would like the speakers and sub to be better than those that came with the HT-SR800. I would like to keep a 7.1 system, but that may be difficult with the funds allowed. I do not want anything less than 5.1 so I at least keep my surround sound. The viewing area is medium I'd say, I'm not at home so I can't measure it, but the total room size is probably large. It's atleast large enough for a 7.1 system. The size of the speakers isn't really of concern, though I'm thinking of mounting the surrounds. The main function of the speakers will be for gaming, followed by a moderate amount of TV/Movies and little music.

I've looked at a bunch of speakers and subwoofers online and I thought I was narrowing it down to two, the Infinity TSS-1200 5.1 system for $400 and the KEF KHT3005 5.1 system for $800. Then I decided to look at systems from some of the internet dealers mentioned on this site and I figure I could get the cheap line of speakers for my budget. However, I don't know how they compare to what I was thinking of and which ones are best for my environment.

So my first question is are the Infinity's better than those that come with the Onkyo HT-SR800? Is the KEF system worth twice the cost of the Infinity's? What about KEF vs Infinity with two extra speakers for 7.1? Finally is there anything better than the KEF's for at most $1000 shipped to Washington, 98382?

I know there's a lot of these $1000 budget threads, and I'm sorry for another one, but I live in a rural area so auditioning speakers is quite hard so making up my mind is proving extremely difficult. Hopefully my questions are enough variance from the usual though. Thanks for any help and insight.

Oh, and I'm not sure what section was best for this post, I chose this section since the PS3 is what I'm mainly upgrading my sound system for.

·
Registered
289 Posts
head on over to ********** and get 2 pairs of the x-ls encore monitor loudspeaker and a x-cs monitor loudspeaker for the center. This will cost you $487, not including tax and shipping. for a sub you could go with a pb10-nsd from svssound.com, one of these will cost $429 w/o shipping and tax. don't forget speaker wire from monoprice.com, unless you already have some.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I second **********

I have the rockets and a hsu sub and I'm very happy!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, wow, I didn't realize that some of the x-series is sold in pairs. That makes things much nicer. I've also seen those BICs mentioned here as well. Guess I'll start looking into some of the Internet Dealer speakers and forget about the Infinitys or KEFs? I'd also like my other questions to be answered, just for curiosity's sake.

And yes, I was planning on getting my speaker wire from monoprice, they're great. I don't know what gauge I should go with though. What are the recommended lengths for each gauge?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I appreciate them.

OK, I was leaning towards the AV123's until I saw that the dealer Nutman posted has an eBay site which means I can use my coupons on them. Now I need help deciding between the BIC Acoustech HT-75 Home Theater System or the Premier Acoustic PA-6F Home Theater System. They look very similar, but the PA-6F towers are nearly twice the weight as the HT-75s and the warranty is 5 years on the Premier as opposed to 2 years on the BICs. There is something up with the Premiers though, because the pictures and specs on the ebay and acousticsounddesign.com websites don't match what is listed on Premier Acoustic. Is the one being sold by ASD an older version? In any case, is the PA system worth $50 more than the BIC system?

·
Registered
289 Posts
i would really urge you to at least check out reviews of the speakers i mentioned as they have been said to outperform speakers costing twice as much, onix=quality. I have 12 gague wire and it sounds pretty good. My speakers are onix reference mkII bookshelf. The smaller the number on wire gague will mean a thicker cable, which is used for longer cable runs. many people are happy with 14 gague, but 12 gague sounds good to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, unfortunately I couldn't stretch the funds enough to get the AV123s so I went with the BIC Acoustechs. From what I can tell many people really like AV123 speakers and we do have another room that could use some speakers for music so maybe in the future I'll try some speakers from AV123.

In any case the BICs look nice, but I haven't hooked everything up yet because of a problem with the center channel on my receiver ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1047414 ) so I can't comment on the sound quality just yet.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Elemental design is the way to go. I have 3 5t5, 2 5tc, and A3-250 sub and I love it. You'll be able to throw in another set of 5tc's and still be under budget w/ their package discount!!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/14254431

I have the Klipsch Synergy Quintet III and 12" Sub (totaling $1,000).

I love them...especially the sub.

Synergy Sub: http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...gy-sub-12.aspx

Synergy Quintet III: http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...intet-iii.aspx

I bought them from BestBuy in-store, but I'm sure you can find a better deal online.

Not a bad set for the money. And That Klipsch Sub is a monster. A bit too much for the Surrounds IMO.. lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think thats a great choice, let us know how they sound.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz /forum/post/14254706

Not a bad set for the money. And That Klipsch Sub is a monster. A bit too much for the Surrounds IMO.. lol

Yeah, it is. I had to keep the volume at less than 1/4 because the setting I had it add was causing tremendous pressure on my ears....from 20+ ft away.

But one of my brother-in-laws was balking at how "weak" my base sounded last Christmas when they were watching PotC:AWE on Blu-Ray (my 12" sub is about 25% smaller than his 12" sub). Cranked that sucker up to less than 1/3, and then he wasn't complaining.

Left it like that and now my wife complains every now and then when watching TV/movies. But, at least it isn't causing our ears to bleed. :p

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a BIC Acoustech 5.1 system (2 HT-88's, 2 HT-75's, HT85, and the H-100) and I have to say this system is UNREAL sweet. The crispness at low and high volume's is crazy good. And for a little over $1k you can't go wrong on the price. There's a thread in the speaker section dedicated to the Acoustech's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990726

If anyone is interested, I'd very much endorse getting these speakers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss /forum/post/14256951

I have a BIC Acoustech 5.1 system (2 HT-88's, 2 HT-75's, HT85, and the H-100) and I have to say this system is UNREAL sweet. The crispness at low and high volume's is crazy good. And for a little over $1k you can't go wrong on the price. There's a thread in the speaker section dedicated to the Acoustech's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990726

If anyone is interested, I'd very much endorse getting these speakers.

Interesting, you're using four tower speakers?

I ordered a 5.1 system including two HT-75s, two HT-63s, one HT-65 and one H-100. However, I received two HT-88s instead of the HT-75s which was a pleasant surprise. Now if only I had a functioning receiver to hear these things in action.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfster /forum/post/14258169

Interesting, you're using four tower speakers?

I ordered a 5.1 system including two HT-75s, two HT-63s, one HT-65 and one H-100. However, I received two HT-88s instead of the HT-75s which was a pleasant surprise. Now if only I had a functioning receiver to hear these things in action.

Yes. The two HT-88's are in the front and the HT-75's for the surrounds. I figured that by the time I'd end up getting stands for the surrounds, it'd be the same or a similar price for the upgrade to the HT-75's. After reading that thread I linked earlier, I was able to negotiate what I consider a pretty good deal for the entire package shipped. I paired the entire set-up with an Onkyo 805 and its unreal how well the entire system sounds. Of course, that's just my opinion. The dogs and the little lady don't like it too much when I crank the volume.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts