AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need help to make a dificult choice. I have a Onkyo 919THX which I had hardly used but when I moved to my new place I have used it more often. So it is fair to say that it is fairly in a new condition. But the other day when we were using it to play music at a party the unit went into a Protective Mode and did not wake up. When I took it to a service center I was told that the Center channel and the power supply have been fried (he said there must be a short on my center channel but I personally think it was lack ventelation). The service center tells me it will cost me about $260.00 to fix and he assures me 99% (not 100%) that will fix the unit.

I have done some research and I have noticed that for about $750.00 I can buy the Denon 3805. Could anyone recommend what I should do? Spend $260.00 to fix my Onkyo or just buy the Denon 3805 by spending an extra $500.00? :confused:

P.S. Eventhough the Onkyo 919THX is only a standard Dolby Prologic system, I had purchsed a Technics SHAC500 processor so that I could have Digital 5.1 as well as DTS. So the option to buy the Denon will force me to abondon the Technics SHAC500 as well. I bought that used for $150.00.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you're buying a "new" Denon AVR-3805 for $750.00, it is in all likelihood from an unauthorized internet dealer. Just bear in mind that you will not get a factory warranty. Depending on the integrity of the dealer, you may not even get a new unit. Some unauthorized dealer have been known to ship used, damaged, repaired or counterfeit units. You can roll the dice if you wish, just go into it with your eyes open.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymit
If you're buying a "new" Denon AVR-3805 for $750.00, it is in all likelihood from an unauthorized internet dealer. Just bear in mind that you will not get a factory warranty. Depending on the integrity of the dealer, you may not even get a new unit. Some unauthorized dealer have been known to ship used, damaged, repaired or counterfeit units. You can roll the dice if you wish, just go into it with your eyes open.
I know exactly what you mean. But I am forttunate on that department. I know for 100% that he is an authorized dealer since the dealer is a good friend of mine and I have additionaly checked with Denon. :)

So having solved that problem, what is your openion? Should I abondon the Onkyo and Technics combo and go for the Denon?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.