AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around 2,000 that I would like to spend on a screen. I was thinking of getting the new 55 inch LED VIZIO in September, but also started pondering getting a 67 inch Samsung DLP or similar sized DLP. I do most of my viewing in a dark room. The screen will be used about 20 percent of the time viewing 1080i dish tv, 40 percent of the time in 1080p for blu-rays or upconverted DVD's, and 40 percent of the time playing XBOX 360 in 1080p. I do appreciate a good black level. And I sit 8 feet back from the screen and usually straight in front of the screen, so not really worried about off angle viewing.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you are super into gaming stay away from a single chip DLP. The lag is large enough where it might throw off you timing on some games.

Problem is you like good black levels and DLP has better blacks. If you keep a little light on in the room, behind the tv lighting the wall, when you watch the set the black level of a LCD will appear better to your eye.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think that the latest (or last made) Samsung 67 inch DLP would have more lag than then the new Vizio 55 inch led lcd coming out? I would prefer the screen to be larger than 52 inches with my budget. Or could you suggest a (multi-chip?) or less laggy 65 inch range DLP? I really love those large DLP screens especially at that price range.

·
Registered
729 Posts
do you play games where timing is very critical? Music games?

I think the Samsung is a much better TV.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Samsung does not make any DLPs anymore FYI. If you see a Samsung 67" DLP out there it's what is left in stock. Only Mitsubishi is still in the rear projection DLP business.

I would add a 58" Samsung plasma to your list as well. If most of your viewing is in a dark room it will be your best bet over LCDs. The Samsung 55A950 and the Sony 55XBR8 would be your best bet for an LCD in a darkened room but they are out of your price range.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't play music games. However I'm a big fighting game fan, but I've played Street Fighter 4 quite a bit on my friends older 1080i Samsung DLP and didn't have noticeable problems. I am a bit worried in the picture degrading after a few years of normal use. As far as a plasma screen, my friends Panasonic has noticeable lag to me that he bought last year. Are there some DLP's that don't suffer much from lag? I'm gonna check out Mitsubishi's current lineup.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantEulogy /forum/post/16854123

I have around 2,000 that I would like to spend on a screen. I was thinking of getting the new 55 inch LED VIZIO in September, but also started pondering getting a 67 inch Samsung DLP or similar sized DLP. I do most of my viewing in a dark room. The screen will be used about 20 percent of the time viewing 1080i dish tv, 40 percent of the time in 1080p for blu-rays or upconverted DVD's, and 40 percent of the time playing XBOX 360 in 1080p. I do appreciate a good black level. And I sit 8 feet back from the screen and usually straight in front of the screen, so not really worried about off angle viewing.
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...in;contentBody

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking for the same info.

going to subscribe to this thread.

Julie

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a 56" Samsung LED DLP. It broke under warranty, and Samsung could not fix it due to lack of parts. They replaced it with a 52" 5 series LCD. Avoid the Samsung LED DLP's like the plague. You can scan these forums for "Samsung LED failure" to get an idea of what I mean.

Now... that said... I really liked the image quality of the DLP. It was very neutral, and not over-processed like I feel most LCD's are. After calibrating the new replacement LCD, i'm pretty happy with it. My hope is that the LCD will be more reliable than the DLP, but only time can tell. As others have noted, with the prices dropping on the large LCD's, the days of DLP appear to be numbered.

Good luck - Sean

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After doing a few hours of research, I have scratched the Samsung's off my list of maybe's due to reliability issues. Now I am seriously comparing the new "837" line of Mitsubishi DLP's to the new 55 inch Vizio LED LCD coming out in September. From what I have read on the 837, the lag is very minimal and probably less than my 42 inch vizio VU42LF that I have right now. The only thing that's really bugging me is: how much overscan do these really have??? I have seen an older model Sammy and it was kinda bad...

·
Registered
920 Posts
My cousin has the 65" Mitsu 737 DLP TV and I have to say it is awesome for the price. I recommend it for DLP I never would trust Samsung for DLP but Mitsubishi yes.

Personally I don't know if the 837 is worth the money. Also I do know the bigger you go the more chance the DLP TV will have not so good geometry. 73" seems to have a lot more issues than the 60" or 65" but it could be the popularity of the 73" over the 60" or 65".

If it matters I have a 46" a650 from Samsung and love the picture for Blu-rays/DVDs and 360 gaming and I like the Mitsubishi 65" 737 picture quality for the Blu-ray movies too.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantEulogy /forum/post/16856691

After doing a few hours of research, I have scratched the Samsung's off my list of maybe's due to reliability issues. Now I am seriously comparing the new "837" line of Mitsubishi DLP's to the new 55 inch Vizio LED LCD coming out in September. From what I have read on the 837, the lag is very minimal and probably less than my 42 inch vizio VU42LF that I have right now. The only thing that's really bugging me is: how much overscan do these really have??? I have seen an older model Sammy and it was kinda bad...

You did a few hours research and scratched Samsung off the list? I suggest you do more research.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, my comment was directed towards Samsung's DLP's. Their are quite alot of people experiencing a whole range of cards and chips that are overheating, geometry issues, and just the fact that they no longer support and produce many of these problematic parts. Buyers are forced to drop down to a different and usually 10-inch smaller screen. I have read many good things about their LCD's. But for the size and features that I want- they are simply out of my price range. I am very strongly leaning towards the 65 inch 837 series of Mitsu DLP's as that size is great for my 8 ft viewing distance. As for a plasma, I've had some trouble with gaming on a few diffrent newer models due to the lag. I do respect that are probably newer models that don't lag as much though. I thank you all for the great insight you keep giving me- keep it coming!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16858874

I'm thinking his Samsung reliability comment is directed towards Samsung DLPs and not flat panels.

Well, it still doesn't make sense. If he's complaining about Samsung but specifically the DLP division, why wouldn't he consider a Samsung LCD? And for his 2K pricerange he can get the 52" Sammy B750...one of the best rated TV's in all the kingdom.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantEulogy /forum/post/16860061

...I am very strongly leaning towards the 65 inch 837 series of Mitsu DLP's as that size is great for my 8 ft viewing distance. As for a plasma, I've had some trouble with gaming on a few diffrent newer models due to the lag. I do respect that are probably newer models that don't lag as much though. I thank you all for the great insight you keep giving me- keep it coming!

Before you make up your mind be sure to research the game lag issue well before making your decision. From my understanding, DLP is probably the worst route you could go for game lag. The brand of TV you choose will affect your game lag and certainly in most cases not better than plasma in that regards. The newer Samsungs aren't the best when it comes to game lag from what I've read. I recently bought a 55B650 (these are in your price range by the way) and thus far I've not had any issues (though I don't play FPS games nor do I play online so split second reactions won't affect me like it may some others).

·
Registered
6,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/16860209

Well, it still doesn't make sense. If he's complaining about Samsung but specifically the DLP division, why wouldn't he consider a Samsung LCD? And for his 2K pricerange he can get the 52" Sammy B750...one of the best rated TV's in all the kingdom.

I've owned an SXRD, a couple of DLPs, 3 plasmas, and the Samsung 55B650 and if it were me I'd either get a plasma or one of the Samsung B series LCDs. But that's just me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.