AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent alot of time this week back and forth originally between Q90T and Q800T, after spending alot of time in front of both sets it was obvious that the Q800T was not anywhere near as bright as the Q90T. Currently own a QFN 65" and absolutely love the picture and brightness - room has a lot of natural light and windows. Now that I've removed the Q800T from the equation, I'm stuck between last years Q90R and this years Q90T (82 or 85 respectively). They don't have last years model in the store, so I can't compare side by side. I've been reading as much as possible online about both units. Obviously, to some the fact that the T has less local dimming zones is of concern, though others say that better processing overcomes this issue. I'm more concerned with the brightness and contrast/blacks. The QFN does one hell of a job with the blacks, and really don't want to downgrade in that respect. I do not game at all. Movies, sports, netflix, appleTV, etc. Watch from about 10 feet away, couch is a U shape sectional so at times people do view from angle, however my seat is in the middle directly in front of TV so being selfish, I only care about that. Not too concered with the one connect box, though it is great if the TV is mounted on the wall. This one most likely will not be mounted, but even if it is I can deal with the extra cabling. With all that said, can you guys offer some advice between the 2? Both the Q90t and the Q90r are about the same price today at bestbuy, so price isn't an issue. Something that keeps resonating in my mind is that I keep reading that the q90t is actually just a q80r, and for some reason that's bothering me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Spent alot of time this week back and forth originally between Q90T and Q800T, after spending alot of time in front of both sets it was obvious that the Q800T was not anywhere near as bright as the Q90T. Currently own a QFN 65" and absolutely love the picture and brightness - room has a lot of natural light and windows. Now that I've removed the Q800T from the equation, I'm stuck between last years Q90R and this years Q90T (82 or 85 respectively). They don't have last years model in the store, so I can't compare side by side. I've been reading as much as possible online about both units. Obviously, to some the fact that the T has less local dimming zones is of concern, though others say that better processing overcomes this issue. I'm more concerned with the brightness and contrast/blacks. The QFN does one hell of a job with the blacks, and really don't want to downgrade in that respect. I do not game at all. Movies, sports, netflix, appleTV, etc. Watch from about 10 feet away, couch is a U shape sectional so at times people do view from angle, however my seat is in the middle directly in front of TV so being selfish, I only care about that. Not too concered with the one connect box, though it is great if the TV is mounted on the wall. This one most likely will not be mounted, but even if it is I can deal with the extra cabling. With all that said, can you guys offer some advice between the 2? Both the Q90t and the Q90r are about the same price today at bestbuy, so price isn't an issue. Something that keeps resonating in my mind is that I keep reading that the q90t is actually just a q80r, and for some reason that's bothering me. Thanks in advance.
The have roughly the same black levels, 11,000:1 contrast ratio with local dimming on (you can't turn it off). Your Q9FN does not have the Ultra wide angle layer and therefore has a contrast ratio with local dimming on right about 19,000:1. Brightness is similar also for both SDR and HDR with the Q90R having a slight edge. Everything else is very close, with the exception that the Q90R has a one connect box and the Q90T does not. Local dimming works similarly even with the 4x FALD zones the Q90R has. The comparison of the Q90T to the Q80R has to do with FALD zones which are similar. One issue with the 82" Q90R is the oddly configured dimming zones, 40 x 12, which can lead to some odd effects due to the rectangular zones. the 75" Q90R, for example, had a 30 x 16 configuration with square zones which more closely maps to the 16 x 9 screen aspect ratio. So, at that size, you're likely to be better off with the Q80T even though it has fewer zones, plus it is a bit bigger.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Real scene peak brightness is the same on Q800T and Q90T (the Q800T is a bit higher), this means that in real consumer content, you wont find any difference between the 2 sets, I suggest you to go with the Q800T because of the G-Sync compatibility and more future proofing with 8k Resolution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Real scene peak brightness is the same on Q800T and Q90T (the Q800T is a bit higher), this means that in real consumer content, you wont find any difference between the 2 sets, I suggest you to go with the Q800T because of the G-Sync compatibility and more future proofing with 8k Resolution.

I'm not trying to argue, instead I'm trying to learn. I stood in front of both TVs for about 15 minutes in store (which is a very well lit BestBuy). The same demo was on on both sets. I also had the Magnolia rep adjust both sets to max brightness (just for comparison purposes) and set both to dynamic. From what I could see with my eyes, the Q90T was far brighter. The difference was quite noticeable. The Q800T had more the look of an OLED. Also, from what I read on HDGURU.com the Q90T reached sustained brightness of 1800 nits vs. 1500 nits on the Q800T (in HDR mode). So, I am not understanding what the "real scene peak brightness" is. Is that something I wouldn't have noticed while the demo was playing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The have roughly the same black levels, 11,000:1 contrast ratio with local dimming on (you can't turn it off). Your Q9FN does not have the Ultra wide angle layer and therefore has a contrast ratio with local dimming on right about 19,000:1. Brightness is similar also for both SDR and HDR with the Q90R having a slight edge. Everything else is very close, with the exception that the Q90R has a one connect box and the Q90T does not. Local dimming works similarly even with the 4x FALD zones the Q90R has. The comparison of the Q90T to the Q80R has to do with FALD zones which are similar. One issue with the 82" Q90R is the oddly configured dimming zones, 40 x 12, which can lead to some odd effects due to the rectangular zones. the 75" Q90R, for example, had a 30 x 16 configuration with square zones which more closely maps to the 16 x 9 screen aspect ratio. So, at that size, you're likely to be better off with the Q80T even though it has fewer zones, plus it is a bit bigger.
I went with the Q90T. It arrives on Monday. It's probably going to linger in my mind for months to come whether or not I made the right purchase, but in the end I'm sure after the dust settles I'll be happy either way. I was very close to switching to a Q800T just for the fact that it was 8K and I didn't want to be tempted to buy another TV in a only a few years, but I think the side by side comparison to MY eyes was that the Q90T had a better picture and was brighter.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I went with the Q90T. It arrives on Monday. It's probably going to linger in my mind for months to come whether or not I made the right purchase, but in the end I'm sure after the dust settles I'll be happy either way. I was very close to switching to a Q800T just for the fact that it was 8K and I didn't want to be tempted to buy another TV in a only a few years, but I think the side by side comparison to MY eyes was that the Q90T had a better picture and was brighter.
Good luck with your new TV! I think you made the correct choice vs. the Q90R due to the 82-inch Q90R's bizarre 40 x 12 dimming zone layout. As far as the 8K Q800T goes, I don't see much use for 8K and the Q90T has a much better anti-reflective coating and better gradient control so it's a bit better overall in the current 1080p/4K environment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts