AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the itch to fix my ever-evolving home theater setup, but I don't have the time to experiment and I'd want to hear what people think before I go and make major changes.

Right now, I'm running a 5.1 system. If you look at the photo, the surround speakers are currently in position 1, and I'm trying to decide if I want to move them to position 2.

Position 1: Both are 8' from the center of the brown couch, BUT are about 4' above our ears, and are about 120 degrees from the TV vector. These are currently ancient bipole speakers. One is mounted on a HVAC duct on the ceiling pointed down, another on a support column.
Position 2: Speakers would now be ear height and exactly 90 degrees from TV vector, BUT one would be about 3-4 feet further than the other. I'd replace these with something more slim and flat. These would just be drilled into drywall/studs.

I'm replacing an ancient receiver on Monday with something that has Audessey XT, and I'd read that it should be able to correct for the uneven distribution? I'm also planning on adding Atmos heights at some point into our drop ceiling.

So the question: Is position 1 or position 2 more preferable?
Motor vehicle Table Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
311 Posts
. . . I'm running a 5.1 system. If you look at the photo, the surround speakers are currently in position 1, and I'm trying to decide if I want to move them to position 2.

Position 1: Both are 8' from the center of the brown couch, BUT are about 4' above our ears, and are about 120 degrees from the TV vector. These are currently ancient bipole speakers.

Position 2: Speakers would now be ear height and exactly 90 degrees from TV vector, BUT one would be about 3-4 feet further than the other. . . .
Will Audessey XT be able to correct for the uneven distribution?

I'm also planning on adding Atmos heights at some point into our drop ceiling.

So the question: Is position 1 or position 2 more preferable?
Position 2 for sure.
I had a very similar setup geometrically.
Moving my surrounds forward towards 90 deg and lowering the height worked VERY well.
Aud XT will have no problem accounting for the difference in distance to MLP.

Furthermore, lowering your surround height will improve separation of the base layer from the Atmos layer when you add that down the road.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Position 1

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Position 2.

Reactions: craig john

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
If you're using a 5.1 speaker system, the recommended placements for the surrounds is at 90 to 110 degrees to the listening position with the speakers slightly above ear level. You want a direct "line of sight" to the speakers without interference from the heads of the people sitting next to you... but don't much higher than that.

If you use Position 1, you would want to aim the speakers down towards the listening position but Position 2 using the proper mounting height would be preferable.

Craig

Reactions: Senorsneu

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
Position 1 for 5.1. Position 2 when you go Atmos.

The surrounds with 5.1 should not be at ear height as they should be with Atmos.

Reactions: Senorsneu

·
Registered
465 Posts
Position 1 for sure.

But an academic question, would an extreme toe-in setup for position 2 work better for people sitting on the ends of the couch?

I.e., point the left surround at the right listener and vice versa. It's worked well for me with my mains.

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
You are a prime candidate for a diagonal set-up. Put the TV in the upper left corner of the diagram at a 45 degree angle. Move the couch opposite, a few feet from either side wall. Surrounds on the bottom and right walls. That should be a better experience due to not having the sound bounce off the parallel front and back walls over and over. It will also even out the layout, so you do not have one speaker in a corner and one in free space. Square rooms tend to perform better in this config. Give it a try.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Correction:

Position 1, but only if you can do it without having the speakers 4 feet above ear level.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Position 2, but back them up a little so they’re even with the back of the couch.
Thanks - so for atmos I want them lined up with the rear of my couch (so slightly behind ears is okay)? Then I’m assuming the ceilings are slightly forward of the couch?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts