AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Personally I would go with the DV64s to me a matched front soundstage is the only way to go. The DV64s have the same sensitivity as the RTRs and they actually have a lower frequency response than the RTRs. If you absolutely have to have bigger woofers why not try the DV84s?

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
I would go with the DV64s also. They seem to be an excellent match with the Center channel unit you have, and they are the proper height for seated listening in your room.

In addition, if you have a really decent AV receiver, you will have a dynamite audio system for music that will blow you away.

I have B&W DM603S2 for my fronts. The secret for great home audio, I believe, is choosing a speaker with at least 2 woofer/midwoofer drivers in the 6" to 8" diameter range. This size speaker in a room up to 20 X 30 or smaller, imparts a very good audio image, assuming they also have a good matching tweeter to balance things out.

You won't be sorry with the DV64's I believe.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
One more thing. If you find you want more thump, get a nice 10" sub woofer when $ permits. This will provide a lot smoother and lower bottom end then trying to use the brute force of a main 15" woofer. The process of choosing a sub woofer is less critical to balanced sound then choosing a matching pair of front mains and a center channel speaker. IMO.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
And one more thing.... you will probably want to angle the left and right speakers inward to the middle of your listening/viewing area about 15 to 20 degrees. Also, the front speakers should be about 18" to 24" away from the back wall. If you have a video stand, table, or cabinet for your TV, the speakers should be on either side and even with it at the 15 to 20 degree angle. Trial an error will let you find the "sweet spot" for your listening position.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
I just read back thru your posts. If you already have a sub 15 " and shakers in your couch... then I would suspect that your new AV receiver is not providing the power you need (crave?) lol I have a Boston AVR7120 an exceptional 7.1 with gobs of power and I like my home theater sound better than going to a pay " movie theater" 95% of the time.

Just curious..... are you sensory deprived?
Just kidding lol

I still think the DV64 would be best. Does your reciever have an equalizer or analyzer mode to set the fronts and center up? A lot depends on room size also, but 15" dual mains might get very muddy and also sap power adding lots of IM distortion also.

I am using dual BIC (PAS 10's with separate 120 watt amps) 10" subs.... one behind each of my bi-wired DM603's

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Hey... whatever toots your whistle!
I'm sure those 15's will move some air. I , however, would think about maybe a separate 350watts to power each of them though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts