Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while and picked up tons of great information. I am currently looking for some speakers to complete a home theater system. I have been working with a local dealer and he is steering me towards the NHT Evolution line up or some older used NHT 3.3's he can make me a great deal on. I was almost ready to buy when I started reading about the Onix Rocket 750 speakers. These speakers appeal to me for a few reasons: they are a bit cheaper in package form, they seem to look much better and by their measurements they seem like they will fit in my room much better. The NHT 3.3's are awesome but they are huge. They are really my first choice but because of their size and cost ($1800 plus tax) I may be moving away from them. My main questions to you guys is about performance. Ultimately, I can make the NHT 3.3's work for me if they are hands down a better speaker for the money. If the Rockets are the way to go I need to know. I am hoping there are a few of you out there that have had experience with both speakers and can help me out. I do not want to start a flame war here but just gain some useful info. As for their use, I will be focusing mainly on HT but listen to music about 25% of the time. I will be using a HSU VTF-3 to augment the low end for HT but would like to be able to run them as large. I know I can do this with the NHT's but not sure about the 750's. Please let me know if there are any other questions.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just hooked up my 750's along with bigfoot their center channel. I am quite impressed with their ability for home theater sound. I know they need at least 100 hours to really start to sing so check back with me in a week or so. My 2 channel set up is B&W 801's which I consider one of the best speakers ever. I will compare those as soon as I break in the Rockets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Never having heard the NHT's, I can't do a comparison, but I've had my Rockets (750s/300s/150s/Bigfoot) for almost a year now, and I'm more than thrilled with their performance.

Your HT/Music percentages sound perfect for the 750's as they are geared to be more of an HT speaker, with excellent two channel music performance.

These speakers are absolutely gorgeous. Everything about their look is very refined.

The woofer and crossover design of these allow the 750's to pack *way* more punch in the low end than is normal in their range, so you shouldn't be concerned about using them without the VTF-3, especially with normal music. (No pipe organs!)

All this, and then (IMHO) the most impressive thing about these speakers -- the company and people who sell them! AV123 is without a doubt more dedicated to customer service/satisfaction than any business with which I have ever had dealings. They will work with you before the sale to answer any and all questions you might have, and, if you ever have any problems after the sale, they won't stop until you are absolutely satisfied. In these times of lowest-common-denominator service, their attitude is really refreshing.

No flames please -- I don't work for AV123. Just one very happy customer!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I own Rocket 750s and I'm not going to pretend I'm an authority on comparing these two brands, especially since I haven't heard the 3.3s. But since the speakers are very different, you're going to have to determine your priorities for what kind of presentation you are looking for.

The NHT 3.3s are a proven high end speaker and have been around for a decade. They cost $4000 new back then, so I'm sure that paying only $1800/pr for them is an attractive deal. With the 12" woofer on the side, the 3.3's drive really low...down to 23 hz or so with decent amplification. Given that, I'm wondering why you would be considering running a VTF-3 with them unless your room is so large that you feel that the 3.3s wouldn't be enough. Otherwise you're asking for a big bass hump in your presentation, or you'd be crossing the 3.3s over at something which wouldn't give you the lower range you'd be spending good money on. The VTF-3 is good for a 18 hz spec, so I can understand its appeal, but you may be only squeezing out a little more juice from what the 3.3s can already do. The Rocket 750s roll off at 38hz or so (I've done my own measurements which confirm this) and would match well with the VTF-3 and an appropiate crossover frequency. Rockets are known for their midbass and use every bit of that 38hz depth.

In scanning the magazine reviews for the 3.3s, the concensus is that they are wonderful high-end speakers that can be unforgiving with badly produced music. Rocket 750s are typically more forgiving, giving up a tad of detail for a more balanced experience. A highly detailed presentation is sought out by many audiophiles, but you'll need to discover whether this is right for you.

The biggest issue with the 3.3s is probably their sheer mass. At 120 lbs each and a depth of 31", that rivals many 60+" RPTVs. I would not recommend most people moving them unless they had help. At that size, placement would probably be tricky too (although Rockets can be fussy about placement as well).

At the end of the day, Onix's Reference 2 is probably a better apples-to-apples comparison that to the Rocket 750. Like the 3.3s, it strives for a more detailed presentation that isn't the same as the 750. But at $2500 a pair, it's more expensive. If this was my money, and I was looking for 75% HT use, I'd probably go with the Rockets but if I was looking for a more detailed approach and I listened to more music, the 3.3s would be tough to resist (assuming I could fit them in my house).

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've heard the NHT 3.3's and 2.9's, and at least with the older NHT's they were too bright for me. I found their sound fatiguing after a while. Don't get me wrong, I think they're good speakers, but for me, I prefer a more laid back sound, less fatiguing. I guess this is why I bought the Rocket's pkg #2.

Arnold

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
I own the NHT Evolution T5's and highly recommend them. They are not bright like the older Music series but very neutral. Inner detail is fantastic and they realy are a superb music and home theater speaker. If I had to choose between the Rockets and NHT's it would depend. If sound is paramount, I consider the NHT's more accurate. If looks get factored into the equation, I would go with the Rockets hands down. They look beautiful and sound great. Additionally, to sound their best, the NHT's need the dedicated subwoofer/pedestals, crossover and amp. If slighltly more complicated setup is a turnoff, the Rockets are essentially plug and play. Oh, and the NHTs (particularly the fronts) are considerably more expensive. You could though get away with M5's up front and run the HSU below 80. Since the M5's are a sealed design, they are very easy to blend with a subwoofer.

Oh, and "hands down the better speaker"... No such thing. Only your ears can determine that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
One thing to consider, if you get the 3.3's, you will not be able to get a perfectly matched center speaker. It's been several years since I've heard the 3.3's but what struck me was that the soundstage did not extend much beyond the top of the speakers and that bugged me.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well I have never heard the Rockets so I can't comment, but since you have a HSU VTF-3 why not just get NHT M5 Evolutions all around (5 speakers + 4 pedestals). I have that setup (but with a SVS 20-39 PC+ sub) and it sounds fantastic. The M5 setup shipped to my house cost me just a bit less than Rocket HT Package #0. The Rockets look beautiful though, so like tonygeno said, if looks are a serious consideration NHTs won't necessarily be the best way to go since the M5s only come in black. This wasn't an issue with me since all my equipment and stands in my HT/Audio room is black.

·
Registered
198 Posts
sevenfeet mentioned the ref2's as a better comparison... also the ref1's would be good to mention. they do not sound like small monitor speakers and u can definitely find a decent amount of ref1 owners on here that will give u their opinion. from what i have read though, the new sig 750 is supposed to be alot closer to the ref. the ref1's have a package that is 3g for 4 ref1's and the ref center. definitely worth a consideration. also the newer aci saphires r supposed to be very similar to the ref1's.

have fun with more choices :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A good friend of mine has owned several speakers, including Rockets and Reference 1's. When he moves early next year, guess which speakers he's getting? NHT 3.3s with the perfectly matched 3-way NHT Audiocenter2 and two pairs of NHT HDP2 dipoles (in his dedicated theater room).

I love my 3.3, AC2, two pairs of 1.5s..crystal clear sound at 110 dB, no problema....in fact, someone on ebay just listed this exact combo for $2450, no reserve! I have a Toshiba 56inch 16x9 RPTV and a mere 10 inches between the 3.3 inward firing woofers and the sides of the TV....sounds fine.

M5s all the way around is a nice way to go too, in this price range.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Trilo, any chance that you can audition both of the speakers that you are interested in. I own a bunch of Onix products and I have been impressed with their build quality, Customer Service, and their sound in general. I have also read good things about NHT as well. I would say the best thing to do is audition both of the speakers and see what is the best fit for YOU! Check www.audioenvy.com for a Rocket or Ref owner near you. If you don't find one there you can always contact Sean or Steve at www.********** and they can help to locate an owner for you. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all the help. I guess I am going to have to contact AV123 and see if I can get a pair of 750's sent out to make sure they are my cup of tea.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cool trilo, let us know what you think once you get them. I would also ask them about the Rocket Risers as the really help to get the 750's tweeter more in line with ear level, as well as tightening up the mids on the 750's. They aren't a must for auditions, but if you do end up going with the Rockets I would highly recommend that you add the risers to get the most out of the 750's. :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I would definitely say a set of M5's all the way around would exceed your expectations for both music and movies. I have T5's up front, M5 center, but just installed some newly released NHT L5's for my surrounds, and the sound is truly mind boggling. I have never heard any of the Rocket speakers, and, granted, they do look prettier than the NHT's (along with a host of other speakers), but looks were not much of a factor for me, as my setup is in my man-cave. I was really drawn to the M5's for the flat out clean sound they produce. I first tested them on several of my music demo discs, and that's what really sold me. They just produce some nice, clean, neutral sound for all music types out there. I haven't looked back, especially since I added the L5's. Definitely demo the Rockets, but you alos owe to yourself to see if you dealer has some M5's and/or T5's set up with some L5's for surrounds. Just go listen...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have demoed the NHTs as well as the Rockets, not an AB comparison, but I have heard both of them. The NHTs require a lot more power than the Rockets do, for starters to get them to sound good. Like some other people, I found the NHTs too bright and the soundstage was just too small. If you like the NHTs, you will most likely not like the Rockets. The Rockets are an amazing speaker and value, but they are definitely a warmer, less revealing speaker. Since you will use the speakers for HT more, this may not really matter, in which case I'd go for the Rockets.

If you can find someone who owns Rockets near you, you should definitely check them out. They are a great speaker. However, if you want to investigate other detailed speakers, you should check out Klipsch and Paradigm.

--Rexxe

·
Registered
344 Posts
Let's be honest, what other speaker manufactured anywhere in this solar system can possibly stand up to the Onix Rocket. I mean, after all, based on what you read in this forum anyone would have to firmly believe that the Rockets represent the single most significant advancement in audio speaker technology in the history of mankind.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I find these types of threads on this forum very interesting. (i.e., I was ready to buy XXX speakers, however, I heard such good things about the Rockets - what should I buy?)

First - let me say upfront that I have never listened to any AV123 speakers. I'm sure they are very good - but so are Axioms, B&Ws, Def Techs, Energy's, Kefs, M&Ks, Mirage's, Monitor Audios, Paradigms, Polks, PSBs, Sonus', Thirls, etc., etc....

BECAUSE this forum has a lot of very enthusiastic Rocket owners. But please - there are dozens of great speakers. Check out the other speaker forums - they all have their current favorites.

I'm not trying to start any flame wars here - I just want to point out what SHOULD be obvious to everyone. There are a lot of great speakers. Don't completely rely on one forum that has a lot of loyal fans from one manufacturer.

Peace.:cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi
Let's be honest, what other speaker manufactured anywhere in this solar system can possibly stand up to the Onix Rocket. I mean, after all, based on what you read in this forum anyone would have to firmly believe that the Rockets represent the single most significant advancement in audio speaker technology in the history of mankind.
Was this really necessary?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Probably not, but I just wanted to make the point that some people are growing a little tired of hearing this endless hype over the Rockets. Let's be honest for a minute, they are probably nice speakers for the money but like most everything else they have some limitations. I think even the site moderator is growing a little annoyed with this endless babble over the Rockets.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Thread now close seeing the thread starter seemed to make his choice on what to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.