AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a new house and need to setup my basement. I just bought a Sony 65" 900F and want to pair a good surround sound with it. My budget is about $1500/2000 for this. If you guys can guide me for what I should be looking for (or build a system for me) I would really appreciate it.

Some more info:
Room: Basement (open floor concept but the area is about 16x25 roughly)
I will be watching alot of movies and sports on it.
I have a Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver (not sure if its a good one or not) but I am not opposed to changing it.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
If near a Best Buy, especially one with a Magnolia room, I suggest taking a ride there and listen to whatever they have out. Look for Polk Signatures/Klipsch RP/Elac (v2), Martin Logans, etc. Some will be in the Magnolia area, some in automated kiosks (mine are near the TVs).

Don't go there to buy, just listen. Then come back here and say which speakers you liked. It'll help narrow down your options.

Your receiver is fine by the way.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Are you in the lower 48 states?

How far away from the main speakers will you be sitting?

How big is the total open area (the sub sees all the open space)?

Are you looking to build a 2.0, 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2, Atmos? Want it all now or willing to add on over time?

·
Registered
22,752 Posts
Hi,
I just bought a new house and need to setup my basement. I just bought a Sony 65" 900F and want to pair a good surround sound with it. My budget is about $1500/2000 for this. If you guys can guide me for what I should be looking for (or build a system for me) I would really appreciate it.

Some more info:
Room: Basement (open floor concept but the area is about 16x25 roughly)
I will be watching alot of movies and sports on it.
I have a Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver (not sure if its a good one or not) but I am not opposed to changing it.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
As it sounds like you have almost zero experience go to Best Buy as suggested.

At Best Buy compare the Elac Debut 2.0 bookshelves to the Polk Signature bookshelves to the Klipsch RP 150/160 series and let us know which you prefer or if you don't really prefer any of them what you like or don't like with each.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you in the lower 48 states?

How far away from the main speakers will you be sitting?

How big is the total open area (the sub sees all the open space)?

Are you looking to build a 2.0, 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2, Atmos? Want it all now or willing to add on over time?
I want a 5.1 to start and then go from there.
I will be about 15ft away from the fronts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As it sounds like you have almost zero experience go to Best Buy as suggested.

At Best Buy compare the Elac Debut 2.0 bookshelves to the Polk Signature bookshelves to the Klipsch RP 150/160 series and let us know which you prefer or if you don't really prefer any of them what you like or don't like with each.
Thank you! I did go to best buy but I don't think the guy knew what he was doing. He took me to magnolia room and sampled some different systems but when I asked questions he just reverted to the basic reply "whichever sounds good to you." I understand it has to sound good to me but I want to know what makes xyz a good system and he couldn't answer that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If near a Best Buy, especially one with a Magnolia room, I suggest taking a ride there and listen to whatever they have out. Look for Polk Signatures/Klipsch RP/Elac (v2), Martin Logans, etc. Some will be in the Magnolia area, some in automated kiosks (mine are near the TVs).

Don't go there to buy, just listen. Then come back here and say which speakers you liked. It'll help narrow down your options.

Your receiver is fine by the way.
I did go there... just confused me even more haha. Yeah I am in Chicago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which speakers did you listen to? Did you like any of them more than others?
I did like the bowers and wilkins? but they were def out of my price range.
I think the Klipsch was good. Tried the RP260 floor standings with 500c center and 160m bookshelf speakers

Is that a good set?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I think the Klipsch was good. Tried the RP260 floor standings with 500c center and 160m bookshelf speakers

Is that a good set?
Klipsch RP are considered good speakers. They may be a little bright for some, but the RP models tamed the brightness a bit. If near a Fry's keep an eye out for sales, they seem to have Klipsch sales all the time.

I may be wrong, as I haven't kept track, but I think Klipsch also is coming out with a newer RP lineup. So maybe the newer ones are better, but it also may mean the earlier ones will go on a steep discount.

As for B&W, I believe that Qacoustics supposedly are somewhat similar in sound (based on Geoff's observations)... they could be an option for you too, but they'd be mail order only.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts

Is that a good set?
That Klipsch set is good. I don't think you need the 160ms for surrounds. Save some money and get the 150ms. Also don't buy a klipsch sub other than the 115 model and then only if it's on sale for around $500-$600.

Your AVR is fine for now as long as it's working OK.

·
Registered
22,752 Posts

Is that a good set?
They are a great choice for movies/TV with many happy AVS fans and many positive pro reviews.

They benefit in home from carpets, upholstered furniture and any other sound deadening that can be added to your basement.

Bring a pair of RP160s home and if you like them build out from there using your old Onkyo receiver.

Have them price match Crutchfield's prices which is their policy as stupidly Best Buy is not discounting them and pricing them at the higher price for the new RP series.

Current priceing at Crutchfield.

RP150M $336/pair for rear left/right

RP160M $440/pair for front left/right

RP250C $296 each

That's $1072 before tax.

Buy one of these subs, NOT a Klipsch sub.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS FOR LARGE ROOMS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE: IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS

ALSO, IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts